Bought a new CD deck tonight

Scott Long

The deck I had in my car (90 SC auto) recently quit working and I have been driving around for about a week now with the wires hanging out of my dash board since I got fed up with it and removed it completely. The previous owner of my car thought it would be good to chop off the factory harness, so I had to go through and put female bullet connectors on the wires in the dash and then crimp the male bullets onto the harness for my new cd player. After stripping the wires and crimping the connectors it only took about 2 minutes to hook it all up and slide it into the dash and lock into the sleeve.

I bought a Pioneer DEH-P4700MP flip face CD/MP3/WMA player w/ remote. I was going to get the more expensive 6700 but the only differences I could find was the electric organic display which for about another $40.00 I figured I could live without. Overall I'm happy with it although I haven't really driven the car anywhere yet to enjoy it. But it will be nice to have music again in the SC. I did notice this only has 2.2v pre-outs where as the other deck I just removed had 5v outputs. So now subwoofer isn't as loud. I might be able to turn the gain up on my amp to make up for it, but the amp was having a problem with cutting out when I had the gain set higher so I will have to experiment and see. I'd like to buy a better amplifier next but I would rather get the car painted first. I was hoping to not have to buy the new CD deck but I tried a few other decks I had laying around and they are all dead so I had no choice. Plus I had my eye on this unit since the beginning of summer as an "I want" item so I guess now I can finally cross that off my list. I ended up getting it at Best Buy since I had a $3 Best Buy buck from McDonalds monopoly game in my wallet and everyone had about the same price on the unit. Still cost me $186.xx all said and done. I could have gotten it off ebay for a lot less but I was getting fed up not having any music.

Here's a couple of pics I snapped about 10 minutes ago.

So now my system consists of the Pioneer DEH-P4700MP head unit, Kicker Impulse 5x7 2 way's up front, Pioneer 5x7 3-way's in the rear, MTX Thunder 2200x amplifier, and a 12" Alpine Type-E subwoofer in a ported q-logic box.

I'm kind of disappointed that it doesn't have RCA inputs on it since it says it has Auxillary but it is for a cd-changer and requires a special plug. I was hoping to be able to run the audio in from my PS2 that I want to put in the glovebox and then run the video out to my legacy LCD monitor that I'm going to put at the front of the console once I get the ashtray fiberglassed smooth. I also have an XM satellite radio that I need to install but I don't know where I'm going to mount it, might have to use the vent mounts and mount it on my heater vents, but as you can see in the first photo my two center vents are broken (previous owner). I can probably get some cheap to replace it with though.

Attachments

• Pioneer 001.jpg
    Pioneer 001.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Pioneer 003.jpg
    Pioneer 003.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Thanks. I'm going to shoot an email to Pioneer's tech support and see if they have any way I can get my PS2 to work with that deck. I suppose I could always buy an FM modulator but then you lose a little bit of sound quality.

Scott Long said:
Thanks. I'm going to shoot an email to Pioneer's tech support and see if they have any way I can get my PS2 to work with that deck. I suppose I could always buy an FM modulator but then you lose a little bit of sound quality.

I use a fm modulator for my satalite radio, and it sounds excelent

Do you have a Pioneer deck also? I am going to have to run one for my Sky-Fi XM radio and I guess another one if I want to put my PS2 in the glovebox. The monitor I have has speakers, but I doubt they will get loud enough when playing a dvd that the whole car will hear it or even be able to hear it over traffic. Not that I'd be driving and watching the dvd at the same time but my girlfriend gets bored on trips and asked me to put the lcd monitor and ps2 back in.

Nice setup.......i too have a pioneer(7500) and ps2......the cable u need cost me like 15 buck and the sound was just as good a cd....i highly recomend it over a fm......i have another screen with fm broadcastind built in....and it get poor reception..........

and other thing ......if u cut your radar detector power cable and feed it thro the air vent to the cd players power source....then u wont have to keep on plugging it in to your cig-lighter.......just a thought........looks cleaner too!!

That's a good idea but I'm gonna hold off on that for a while since I'm going to either get another radar detector, or get a built in one that mounts the LED lights in my gauge cluster and is completely hidden. I know K40 makes a good indash unit, but I really want the Valentine 1 with all the upgrades although that is a pricey unit but I'm assuming a K40 installed is gonna be about the same as the V1 if not more and the V1 gets the best ratings on any test its been in. Decisions decisions, oh and I don't have $500.00 to blow on a radar right now, I have other priorities. But someday soon. I might just get a better Whistler since I've always had good results with them and then hardwire it like you said so that it comes on and off with the ignition.

I just bid on an FM modulator from JVC on ebay, its not a wireless one, it has an antenna in and out so it goes into the deck and my antenna plugs into the modulator. Those are supposed to have less interference and the cleanest sound. If Pioneer makes something that plugs into the CD changer port of my deck I'd rather use that.

You don't happen to have a part number for that part I need that goes into the CD Changer port on a Pioneer deck do you?

they do make the part but i do not have the part number....i just went to a local stero shop and the guy new exactly what i needed......

I personally have a passport x50 and i swear by it....Honest to god its saved me at least 5 times when im doing 90+......I SWEAR by it and its cheaper than the others....Im 20 with no moving violations on my record-----it works..( http://www.cardomain.com/item/ESC8500X50RED )

Damn I'm 23 and I think I only have 2 or 4 points showing on my license still but if I'm good through next year I'll have no more points left.

I have been nailed countless times by instant on late at night on the highway when I'm hauling major ~~~. The detector goes off a full strentgh but by then its too late. If they are sitting and just constantly running radar I can pick them up a long distance away but when they wait and then zap me thats how I get caught. I've never been caught by a cop who just sets his alert speed and then does paperwork/sleeps/whatever, since I can detect them and adjust. But the instant on laser and radar are what they catch me with.

Sometimes if there is another car in front of me a ways if my radar goes off for a split second then I know they are shooting instant on, but if I'm the only car on the road I'm screwed.

I have a cobra radar detector and its saved me but quite a few times, i was driving through wyoming going to billings Mt, and i was in a company truck doing about 98, just off the governor, and my detector went off full blast, i slamed on the breaks, slowed down to speed, seen the hi po, he turned around, got up behind me, then passed me and pulled over someone else :cool: Its saved me several more times, glad i have it, saved me some major money. That and its got a compass and tell u when an ambulance or fire truck or other emergency vehicles are coming, oh yeah it also got a compass and other cool stuff......

Derek

I think this is it.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIOCDRB10

PIOCDRB10.jpg

yes it is....mine was a universial one tho...dosent say pioneer on mine......yet mine was also cheaper......good luck with it.......my PS2 sounded great through my pioneer deck..

Yeah I had to put a system in this thing the first night I had it but that was years ago.

I have been wanting to get a better cd player for some time now. But I have other priorities.

My other recent car related purchase this summer was the lentech street terminator valve body. Slowly but surely I'll build a fast SC that looks and sounds good.

Jacob_Royer said:
Same heads unit i have (the 4700) its awesome! only gave $89 for mine at wal-mart in clearance!

Damn you should have bought 2 and sold me one. Thats $97 less than I paid for mine.

If i would have had more $ at the time i would have! they had about 5 of them i believe... same unit over in car audio section was like $250

That piece works great!

Scott Long said:

When I had my car in Japan I used it to run my ipod in my car. Sound quality was great and I was using cheapo 3.5mm to dual rca cables. That piece is a good inexpensive way to use an mp3 player as in car cd changer. It should be alot less of a PIA than a fm modulator.

Well if I don't win the auction I already placed a bid on for an FM modulator, then I'm going to get that unit and run the audio cables from my PS2 into it and the run the video cable into the control box/power supply for my LCD TV.

Back