The engine installation question thread

BlckOnBlckBrd

Well I am in the process of reinstalling my engine. So I am going to use this thread to ask any questions I have during the process. A big thank you to anyone that helps me out.

Well to start it off, what wiring harness does the drivers side O2 sensor plug come on? I can't seem to find the damn thing.

And anyone have any suggestions to make bolting the tranny and engine together easier? I seem to have a little trouble getting them to line up together.

Thanks

I would have to look for the harness, but I believe it is on the engine harness. There should be a plug that is about third from the bulkhead. As far as the alignment, put a jack under the bellhousing and use some grunt to git er shoved in there. IF you have an auto, be sure the converter is pushed into the SECOND groove or it wont bolt together.

Chris

I'm pretty for sure I found the O2 plug on the injector harness... If that sounds right.

I got the tranny lined up right, but I cant seem to get the TC to bolt up to the flexplate. Do I have to have the bellhousing completely tightened before the flexplate will slide onto the TC studs?

You should be able to get it close and then start a few bolts into the housing. Once that happens, spin the converter (it will be tight but I stick a screwdriver through the starter hole and push it) until the studs stick through the holes or are right behind the holes in the flexplate. Then, tighten the bellhousing bolts until its through. Next put the bolts on and turn the crank. In the event that you are truing to really CRANK on the bellhousing bolts and it wont go, the converter is not seated. TRUST ME. DONT FORCE IT. Pull the block back out and lean your pecker against it and she will go CLUNK once more. Then you KNOW it will be right.

Chris

Thanks for the help Chris. Right now I have the fuel rail, injectors, and most of the front accessories on. Hopefully tonight I'll have her running. I notice you're in KCMO. Maybe next spring or something we can arrange a meet...

Bring it on sissy Kansans...:D. I would like to get together with you guys. Traveler just posted some pics of MOKAN raceway last week and has tried to tempt me into going there....I just may.

Chris

Engine is in and everything is all buttoned up. Is there anything that anyone recommend I double or triple check before the initial start-up?

TIA

All of those are good. I tried to crank it for a little while, but it won't fire. It starts to, but doesn't stay going. It has good fuel pressure. Could I possible have crossed some plug wires? I know all of the electrical connectors are plugged in.

Any Ideas?

Plug wires could be mixed up.

If you're standing infront of the car looking at the coil pack it should be:

1 2 3
5 6 4

Thanks all, a couple of wires were crossed. Got it started and she runs smooth.

Had a CEL though. Numbers 511 and 519.

511 is Electronic Control Assembly problem Read only memory failure

519 is Power Steering pressure switch (psps) open connection circuit failure.

I have no idea about the first, but about the 519, I know I have the PS pump plugged in where it needs to be, however there is no fluid in it. Would that cause it?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PLEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAASE tell me you dont have a belt on it with the resevoir empty....If you dont have the pump turning OR its low on fluid it could do that. You should have to turn the wheel if you are doin KOER codes. I hope you skipped that PS test....but that would cause your problem.

Chris

Back