AOD Questions

jc91sc

Maybe these questions are a bit juvenile, but I don't know and I need to know...

Is the AOD tranny a lock-up or non lock-up transmission. I ask because I'm obtaining parts for a complete rebuild/ build up on the tranny. From my initial understanding on lock-up vs. non lock-up, the difference is a clutch assembly within the torque converter. I'd originally made the decision to go with some TCI peices including a lock-up TC. I since have had a hickup with the supplying of that part, so now I'd like know:

1) if I should get a lock-up torque converter
2) if it'll work with the stock configuration of the tranny
3) if I've got controll over whether a tranny is lock-up or non lock-up
4) what's the benefits of one over the other...if any
5) what's neccessary (partswise) to make a tranny lock-up or non lock-up

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

James E.
AdrenalineTuning@excite.com

It is my understanding that the AOD is not a lock-up transmission and doesn't have a lock-up torque converter.

First and second gears use the torque converter. Third and fourth are direct drive by means of a different shaft between the engine and transmission.

You can get a different torque converter and a 1 piece shaft to eliminate the direct drive for third and fourth.

You can go either way, but not both. So no control.

Fuel economy and 1/4 mile times will go down. The engine will be running higher RPM's at cruise.

Experts please pipe up and correct me if I am wrong.

Also do a advanced search and put "Dirtyd0g" in the user name. He has posted a lot of information on AOD's.

Last edited:
Back