race gas??

T@Sound-Xtreme

I tried searching, but couldnt really find anything

If I put 100+ octane or race gas in my car at the track today, will anything go bad?

Tyler

there is actually very little difference in the race gas compared to Sunoco's Ultra 94. I run 94 in my bird for daily driving and for racing.

I've used 112 in m car for a few races and never found a difference. I beleive that the race gas will burn better, but inorder to make a big difference in ET's and MPH's the race gas isn't going todo much.

and at almost $3.50 a liter (CDN) your better off to get the 94.

-B.

the lead in the gas will overtime kill your o2 sensors...and if you still have cats it will destroy them. But if you are only using it once in a blue moon, you wont have to worry about the o2's.

Other then that...nothing will go wrong. Just make sure you dont go to a very high octane fuel that contains a high amount of lead..as you may not be able to burn it fast enough (which of course is a bad thing).

best bet would be to find out where you can get 100-102 unleaded.. and NOT AVGAS!

Blown 91 Bird said:
the lead in the gas will overtime kill your o2 sensors...and if you still have cats it will destroy them. But if you are only using it once in a blue moon, you wont have to worry about the o2's.

Other then that...nothing will go wrong. Just make sure you dont go to a very high octane fuel that contains a high amount of lead..as you may not be able to burn it fast enough (which of course is a bad thing).

best bet would be to find out where you can get 100-102 unleaded.. and NOT AVGAS!
Ditto on the 100-102 unleaded.

For race gas you have to bump timing to get it to work right, in which, you would need a tune.

This has been brought up before, but I'll say it again. In order to make the most power, you want to run the lowest octane possible without detonation. Higher octane fuels burn slower than lower octane fuels. Higher octane fuels simply allow you to advance the ignition timing, usually for an increase in power. Unless you have a tune for race gas, your car will not run any quicker with it (it may actually run slower).

-Rod

I have to agree 110% with Rod.... using higher octane gas can DECREASE your power output if your car isn't tuned or set up to NEED the higher octane. Just increasing the octane will not increase power... I actually get a kick out of a lot of people (ususally young kids, but not always) when they talk about running premium gas or octane boosters in their bone stock [insert average economy car here] because "it gives it so much more power".

So unless you NEED higher octane fuel, stick with normal premium unleaded 91 - 94 octane (depending on your locale).

Tracy

XR7inWI said:
I have to agree 110% with Rod.... using higher octane gas can DECREASE your power output if your car isn't tuned or set up to NEED the higher octane. Just increasing the octane will not increase power... I actually get a kick out of a lot of people (ususally young kids, but not always) when they talk about running premium gas or octane boosters in their bone stock [insert average economy car here] because "it gives it so much more power".

So unless you NEED higher octane fuel, stick with normal premium unleaded 91 - 94 octane (depending on your locale).

Tracy
Every car is different. It won't start losing HP until a certain point. Yest it does burn slow.

VP C25 runs better in my race car than c11 or C12 does for my Comp car. C14 runs like crap.... C25 is a 118 octane (pro stock fuel)

The SuperStocker likes the ERC fuel which is 98 octane. The key element to this gas is that the flash point is at 90*:eek:

Flash point of the fuel is the most critical and needs to be looked at mostly for maximum combustion efficiency.

91,93,94 octane fuels aren't high enough in octane to even consider what we are saying. Especially if it's a nonsynthetic fuel (unleaded).

You would have to get to around 110 octane or more to determine which fuel runs best/worst.

94 Sunoco is the best highly available pump gas you can get, so if you can, get that.

XR7inWI said:

Tracy

I third that, this is what I've read over the years and it make perfect sense to me....

I also have to giggle a little when those kids talk about how they can tell a difference in power, except it is really not kids saying this around here...

You can explain it to them, and send them links to articles that explain it, and they don't care. Nothin but the best for their baby:rolleyes:

93 Octane & Knock Sensor

On a dyno, with 93 octane, 110 lph fuel pump, #36 injectors, 70mm MAF, Cam, & HUGE exhaust, I hit the knock sensor HARD at 3k RPM. Kept pulling timing till I let off at 5200 rpm. So even with relatively mild mods, 93 octane isn't enough for My motor. Every engine responds differently though. If you can get your car on a dyno, you'll learn alot from the experience.

68COUGAR

the reason to run it isn't for more power, it is for safety. So give up a little ET ( i bet it is negligable ), and prevent melting your pistons.

T-bird4vr said:
the reason to run it isn't for more power, it is for safety. So give up a little ET ( i bet it is negligable ), and prevent melting your pistons.
Ummm......No....

It is used for safety, but designed to allow more timing and flash off for higher combustion efficiency, it's called a "synthetic fuel." Therefore, allowing you to make more HP.

I run 87 octane regular unleaded in my SC. The knock sensor usually adjusts to compensate for a faster burning gas. Here in Saskatchewan, most of the available fuel is made from natural blended ethanol and formulated additives. Therefore, it is usually a little more quality than most places in the states. I rebuilt the motor top to bottom to stock specs with .020 over on the cylinders and new pistons. I have ran 87 ever since the rebuild. I also have run 92 octane for a few weeks straight and experienced no difference what so ever. When I race, I usually try and run at least 92 or better premium just to be on the safe side. Although, I have pushed the car hard at times and have not yet experienced one single knock, ping, or detonation for that matter. I have never dynoed the car but up here can only hit between 10-10.5 psi on the boost. I wonder if it would make any difference with the lower octane than compared to a premium grade. I'll have to try it sometime. Dynos around here are quite the scarcity though.

Hey guys, what you think of using unleaded 95 octane in my '90 SC. It's the lowest octane available here in Finland. Then we have 98 octane but I usually put 95 to my SC.

There is no advantage of using 98 octane or what you think...!?!:confused:

PS.I hate winter... When I look out the window now it's raining snow heavily! It's soooo long time again this depressing weather...:(

Last edited:
Back