PDA

View Full Version : random coolant leak

Smutty
11-20-2005, 03:36 PM
For some reason I have coolant leaking from around the head of the bolt that is circled in the picture. Its not even pressurized, I just fill the radiator up to the top and it drips down the circled area and runs down between the head and block. does that bolt hold coolant in?
http://www.thunderbirdsupercoupe.com/images/DSCF0300.JPG

kevenj90sc
11-20-2005, 04:45 PM
For some reason I have coolant leaking from around the head of the bolt that is circled in the picture. Its not even pressurized, I just fill the radiator up to the top and it drips down the circled area and runs down between the head and block. does that bolt hold coolant in?
http://www.thunderbirdsupercoupe.com/images/DSCF0300.JPG

No I do not believe it does; I've got a set of SC heads (for sale btw:) ) and I just looked at them. It appears that the tapped holes where the intake mounts do not go thru to the coolant passage. Of course you could put some permatex #2 on the threads; won't hurt anything but I don't think it will accomplish anything either.

From your picture, it looks more like it's the intake manifold gasket leaking; also isn't there a coolant hose up above on that side?

If it's the intake manifold gasket, you MIGHT get away with just re-torquing the bolts. I had a coolant leak from the front of mine after i first bought it in 2000; finally traked it down to the timing cover. Looked like a real pain in the butt to remove so I decided to check the torque on the bolts first. I was able to get over 1/2 a turn on all of them!......had the car 5 years after that (just sold it) and no more problems. I'd try tightening all the manifold bolts as evenly as you can, and put a SMALL bottle of liquid "bars leaks" in there for good measure, before I tore the manifold off.

Smutty
11-20-2005, 06:09 PM
It does look like it is leaking from the manifold. I thought I was going to have to put a new one on. But come to find out if you watch it, it runs down the side of that "bolt tower" every other second and beads along the mating surfaces. the aluminum is so oil soaked that it doesn't show any wetness.
-Smutty

DMZ
11-20-2005, 09:08 PM
I have a "cold water" leak at the front left corner from the intake. Just like yours but left(drivers side) front. It leaks for about 2 minutes when cold. Puts a very faint amount into the oil on the other side(down under the intake where the lifters are). Had an oil sample at my work done.(I work at a huge CAT dealer). It leaks so slight it never hits the ground and after 3 minutes of running its gone. And what leaked out hits the same way as yours and just evaporates when the block and head get warm. The amount of coolant in the oil is very slight and you wont see it. But it showed up in the sample. Cant get to the bolt to tighten it as the damn blower is to that side. I tried another bolt that I could get to and it was tight.
I am currently rounding up parts to do the intake gaskets. I was afraid of head gaskets but I am pretty sure they are fine. I wish I could get something on that bolt but no way. So, when I do the intake, I will do the plugs on the right side(easier with the stuff out of the way), and do some ignition wires and other things while the blower and intake are off. I have dumped my oil twice within 300 miles to check it and I think the amount in the oil is so slight its nothing to worry about.
Where you see that green drop of coolant is where mine is coming out on the frt left exact area.
You might want to do an oil sample to confirm. I think I have eliminated head gaskets by looking at plugs, exhaust when cold, and the amount of coolant I have been using is so slight the owner before me never noticed it.
You can go to almost any CAT dealer and get an S.O.S. oil sample kit for about 15.00. Ours here come with a mailer. You get the engine HOT. So it mixed well. Then take it and fill the bottle. Ours, you drop it in a mailer box that has postage prepaid already, and it goes in the mail. You get a full analysis and results on a chart, graph, etc. My lab guy just checked mine for coolant in about 30 minutes and confirmed it. Reason is if it is the intake and it looks like it is, some is probably going down into the engine. Like mine, maybe not enough to hurt but until I do mine I am just draining the oil every so often and putting in some cheap oil till I get off my ~~~ and do it. A whole 8.00 is good insurance. I dont drop the filter so it makes it quick. The filter will do nothing for this situation.
Hope this helps some!;)
Danny

Smutty
11-30-2005, 11:18 PM
I found the leak.
It was comming from that bolt. You can see a channel going through the gasket from the rear blocked off water channel to the bolt. I will get a picture of it soon.
-Smutty