Power stearing question

JiggaJake

I have a 1992 SC 5-speed and my power stearing went out. I went to pick one up at autozone and I dont' know what to get. Assisted stearing or non-assisted. Anyone know what to get? Thanks!

~Jake

JiggaJake said:
I have a 1992 SC 5-speed and my power stearing went out. I went to pick one up at autozone and I dont' know what to get. Assisted stearing or non-assisted. Anyone know what to get? Thanks!

~Jake

I think what they are trying to ask is if it has "Variable Assist", and yes it does. As far as I know all SC's have variable assist steering. (that is what that electrical sensor thing is where the pressure line screws into the pump.

When you say your "power steering" went out I assume you need the pump, not the rack.

I have a used pump including the sensor for the variable assist and the cap/dipstick too which only is used on an SC. It's from a 1991 SC parts car, I'm selling all my spare parts 'cuz I don't have an SC anymore.

PM me if interested or email kbjcda@msn.com

It 's your choice. Depends on if you want to swap the reservoir from your old pump to the new one. Frankly I don't understand why the even offer it with and without the reservoir. What's even more confusing is why the one without the reservoir costs more. I usually just get the one with the reservoir on it. One less thing to deal with.

Kevin Varnes said:
It 's your choice. Depends on if you want to swap the reservoir from your old pump to the new one. Frankly I don't understand why the even offer it with and without the reservoir. What's even more confusing is why the one without the reservoir costs more. I usually just get the one with the reservoir on it. One less thing to deal with.

The only reason they offer without reservior is because the same pump can fit many different applications where the only difference is the reservior; this is especially true of GM but also ford to a lesser degree. That way the parts house can have one pump in stock(without reservoir) and they would have to have 5 or 6 complete pumps (with reservoir) in stock to fit the same range of applications.

I agree it's wierd that autozone shows the one without reservior for more $$, makes no sense, usually it's exactly the other way around.

Last edited:
JiggaJake said:
In buying the power steering pump, would i need a reservoir

Are you interested in my used one? (With reservoir, sensor, and cap& dipstick?) No sign of any leaks, it's already off and ready to ship.

does it even matter if it is variable assit or not?I recall taking the PS pump off my 92NA t-bird and putting it on my 91SC. I had to move the variable assist valve over from the old one, but it's just threaded in there....nothing fancy. Internally the pumps are the same....if i'm not mistaken.

Well the variable assist valve isn't the only thing i had to change. After mysteriously shredding two accesory belts within a few hundred miles, I realized that I also had to change the ps pulley. The belt on the NA is 6 rib, the SC is 8....:eek: whoopsie!

Back