So what is it about a nice looking SC...

007_SuperCoupe

that makes some think that you're out to race at every light?

Just ran into a mid-80s rustang on the way home who apparently was interested in racing...Those who know me, know that I don't street race, so I'm not even paying any attention to them. Just waiting for a green light. Now, also, those who know me, know that I like to have fun in my SC...moderate acceleration on a daily basis is a definate good thing...so I accelerate as normal...at best 1/2 throttle. I notice that the rustang punched it, but I'm not worried about it. If they want to race, we can take it to the track...not on the street. I'm not thinking much of it, but then they wave to me like it was a kill...Now I'm starting to get annoyed... I'm just wondering why people (kids in particular) think that a decent looking car (mine in this case) is all about racing... I continued on to pick up my 4 month old son. I just hope that I meet them at the track...hehe...then they'll see if their at best high 15 sec rustang can keep up with my SC....hehe..

For those of you who are wondering why I didn't race...I don't really want to risk my SC over 30 seconds of "I'm faster than you." I'll create respect for the SC at the track. Besides, traction is a bit** with 340 rwtq, crappy tires (for winter) and 30* temps... I know it's bad, so I have to keep out of the throttle to keep from liting them up.

Yes.. Sam enjoys a spirited drive on a daily basis :D

I'm not a big fan of street racing, but I'm not afraid to give a guy a preview as to what I have - a nice throttle punch and 1-2 chirp. Although, it doesn't happen to me - there's not a lot of competition in Blair :D The only one that did act like he wanted to try, two revs sent him rolling in the other direction. Don't get me wrong - I'm not a big fan of street racing at all. I depend on my license too much, I can't afford what ticket or tickets I might get, and I don't want to risk my life, my car, or the chance of hurting someone else. There is a line between spirited driving and being stupid.

-Melon

r w
007_SuperCoupe said:
that makes some think that you're out to race at every light?

Just ran into a mid-80s rustang on the way home who apparently was interested in racing...Those who know me, know that I don't street race, so I'm not even paying any attention to them. Just waiting for a green light. Now, also, those who know me, know that I like to have fun in my SC...moderate acceleration on a daily basis is a definate good thing...so I accelerate as normal...at best 1/2 throttle. I notice that the rustang punched it, but I'm not worried about it. If they want to race, we can take it to the track...not on the street. I'm not thinking much of it, but then they wave to me like it was a kill...Now I'm starting to get annoyed... I'm just wondering why people (kids in particular) think that a decent looking car (mine in this case) is all about racing... I continued on to pick up my 4 month old son. I just hope that I meet them at the track...hehe...then they'll see if their at best high 15 sec rustang can keep up with my SC....hehe..

For those of you who are wondering why I didn't race...I don't really want to risk my SC over 30 seconds of "I'm faster than you." I'll create respect for the SC at the track. Besides, traction is a bit** with 340 rwtq, crappy tires (for winter) and 30* temps... I know it's bad, so I have to keep out of the throttle to keep from liting them up.
r way more streets then there r tracks to race at street racing is fine do it some where that u know and dont be stupid

My idea of street racing is the stoplight to stoplight that never gets above 100 really.

I see videos of guys doing 150+ on the street....that's just stupid, 100 is stupid but 150 is exponentially stupid.

Way to keep your cool IMO.

1FASTSC said:
My idea of street racing is the stoplight to stoplight that never gets above 100 really.

I see videos of guys doing 150+ on the street....that's just stupid, 100 is stupid but 150 is exponentially stupid.

Way to keep your cool IMO.
Stop light to stop light is fun if you have traction.

But for the tractioned impaired people, a race from a roll is the way to go....

I cut 1.9x 60 foots with my SC on street tires (dunlop sport 5000s). IMO that's good enough traction. The advantage the SC has over cars with more power then it has is it's torque, if you run from a roll you're going to put yourself at a little bit of a disadvantage.

I race people from a roll and from a dig, but I prefer the dig ,even when I had the SC.

I think the 60 foot time is somewhat acurate but don't quote me btw, it was like 3 years ago, but I remember having way better short times then the average SC guy.

Well, second gear in these cars are obviously strong. With 2.73's you'll get a good advantage of the long 3rd gear. I've held alot of cars off from 3rd gear.

I never took my SC over 100, actually I had only ever hit 100 in it like twice. So I don't know what the other gears are like as far as WOT.

midnitethunder said:
r w
r way more streets then there r tracks to race at street racing is fine do it some where that u know and dont be stupid

I know when and where to be if I want to street race...But bringing my near 13's SC there won't cut the mustard. It's starting to get too cold here now to do any type of racing at all anyway. Besides, these young kids (there were 3 of them in the mustang) have no idea what a performance car is, just by their demeanor. I don't need to prove myself to anyone in my SC. I know how fast it is, and I know whether or not I'm happy with how it performs.

My tires are W rated so they get some traction...just not nearly enough on a cold day and not nearly enough since I started modding it. I'm not even sure that some DRs would get traction around here in the cold. I highly doubt it, which is why I took them off. That and they are a lot more expensive than my street tires.

Bottom line for me is that street racing is illegal, and it is for a reason. But I'm not a "holy do gooder" that's going to try and stop it. I don't partake in it for my own reasons. It'll happen and that's the way it is. It's a part of American culture and has been for a very long time. It's cool, but dangerous.

007_SuperCoupe said:
then they'll see if their at best high 15 sec rustang can keep up with my SC....hehe.

thats a pretty bold statement... which could get your money taken real fast. unless it was a bone stock aod car then you may not have had a chance. Good drivers in 5spd GT's with just exhaust can go mid 14's at full weight. Couple more bolt on's and a little suspension work... 13's are no problem.

fyflet.jpg

8 different colors.. $3500 total to build... garunteed to leave you out the hole like you got a stock civic and keep on pullin away :eek:

Blown 91 Bird said:
thats a pretty bold statement... which could get your money taken real fast. unless it was a bone stock aod car then you may not have had a chance. Good drivers in 5spd GT's with just exhaust can go mid 14's at full weight. Couple more bolt on's and a little suspension work... 13's are no problem.

Well, I guess you had to be there then...the statement was made based upon the acceleration rate...my 1/2 throttle stayed within 1/2 car length. My butt said I was accelerating at a mid 16 rate.

And that is a later model mustang than the one who "thought" they were racing. It was at best an '84, probably an '82-'83, (I'm not sure when the mustang changed body styles...)

So bold or not, I stand by it. It was not a fast car at all. I'm not saying mine is by any means, but I believe mine to be faster than that one.

007_SuperCoupe said:
Well, I guess you had to be there then...the statement was made based upon the acceleration rate...my 1/2 throttle stayed within 1/2 car length. My butt said I was accelerating at a mid 16 rate.

And that is a later model mustang than the one who "thought" they were racing. It was at best an '84, probably an '82-'83, (I'm not sure when the mustang changed body styles...)

So bold or not, I stand by it. It was not a fast car at all. I'm not saying mine is by any means, but I believe mine to be faster than that one.

IMO you obviously know nothing about mustangs, nor the game of hustling when it comes to street racing (of course you dont, you dont street race!). Either way, the body style really makes no difference... as you dont know what the mustang had for a drivetrain!. I have let civics beat me by 1/2 a car then they wonder why the next race i put train lengths on them... its called hustling, and you could have been getting hustled. The fact here is...you cannot tell what is done to the car performance wise just by the appearance. Can you tell i have a heads/cam/carbed 302 in my 88 just by the pic i showed you? Can you tell it was actually a LX 4cyl when it rolled off the showroom floor?

I see you live in Nebraska... if Parish let you beat his truck by 1 car, would you really think he was actually giving it all it had? Im not trying to insult you here...but use common sense. Just because you were keeping up with it at partial throttle, does not mean the mustang was at full throttle, or even close to it.

Last edited:
007...just to give you an example.. listen to and watch this.

One night me and a buddy of mine decided to go out and mess with the import kids at one of their local spots. We approached this kid with a SRT4 and started shootin the ~~~~, and found out he was also looking to do some racing for a little cash. After hustlin him a bit into thinkin i had a bone stock GT with just exhaust we decided to go out for a fun little run (no $). We lined up at the spot and got it on. The entire run i never turned it over 4000rpm and never got over 3/4 throttle in any gear.. and beat him by about a fender. We got back to the spot and he was tellin me how he spun and knew he would beat me with a good launch.... so i told him id do it again but we had to put a little change on it. After a little negotiating we agreed to run again for $50 heads up (this is where hustling the first race pays off). This time i set my tires down to 15lbs and do a quick burnout to get a little heat in em.. and ill let the video do the rest of the talkin....

http://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1X8K3SRZM88GJ0XD0XTRTSXPSB

again my point is... hustling is part of the game in street racing, and its very possible that the mustang trying to play with you was just tryin to get you to bite the bait. This kid with the SRT4 was furious when we got back that i had hustled him...but thats part of the game! ;)

Last edited:
I was only messing with you, don't let your panties get in a bunch. I'm going sleeper mode with my car (I'm only going to admit to exhaust). But it's going to have a big fat turbo hiding under the heat shields.

Basically it will look stock except for exhaust but will be low 11 second capable on street tires, hopefully by the beginning of summer =p

1FASTSC said:
I was only messing with you, don't let your panties get in a bunch. I'm going sleeper mode with my car (I'm only going to admit to exhaust). But it's going to have a big fat turbo hiding under the heat shields.

Basically it will look stock except for exhaust but will be low 11 second capable on street tires, hopefully by the beginning of summer =p

looks are only part of the hustlin game my friend. Learn to act stupid (im sure you can do that just fine :p ) and you should have no problem hustlin some cocky domestic owners into racin you for some change thinkin they got the race in the bag! A fast import is very easy to hustle people with.

My friend had a pos Galant ES (bottom of the line, lowest hp 4cyl in the world lol!) that i put a hidden nitrous kit on. I cant even express into words how fun it was hustlin people with that car (even though it was still slow).

Last edited:
Again, you had to be there...you were not, so you don't know what I encountered.

1. Broad daylight
2. one of the most traveled streets in town
3. rush-hour traffic

There was no hustle going on...Just some young (highschool) kids who felt they had something to prove and being stupid, that's all.

007_SuperCoupe said:
Again, you had to be there...you were not, so you don't know what I encountered.

1. Broad daylight
2. one of the most traveled streets in town
3. rush-hour traffic

There was no hustle going on...Just some young (highschool) kids who felt they had something to prove and being stupid, that's all.

but that still does not prove that it was a "15 second car at best". You just dont get it...probably wont either. Id love to race you for $$$$ at the track.

I'd love to find a galant VR4, there was one that had I think just a turbo upgrade (bolt on, not even a kit) at the track and it was running 12 second 1/4s...and I mean low 12s.

The tower announcer loved the car too, because it was SOOOO sleeper. Has the same motor as the eclipse GSX (4g63 AWD). I want one =p

Back