craaak-pow

Sharon Silver

Somebody failed to tell me that SCs have fiber valve covers. Fortunately, it was on the parts car but when "replace the head gaskets" time comes, I want metal covers. Anybody know what I should use?

Some years SC's came with stamped steel covers. Can't remember which (might be '92 or '93). I've never had a problem with the magnesium units. Get some good valve cover gaskets with torque limiters (fancy name or a steel ring in the bolt hole that won't let you over tighten them).

As a general rule, always try to find a torque setting for all fasteners. They are all throughout the Haynes book for instance. Also, I never overtorque anything and believe it or not, hand-tight is plenty for most parts. Look at the fastener (screw/bolt/nut)... the smaller it is, the less you tighten it.. the less the weight it carries, the less you tighten it. You sorta get a feel for it after a while and once you do, you should never suffer a snapped or frozen bolt or part again. ;)

Thanks, guys, but I didn't overtighten anything. I knocked off the oil filler tube and took a chunk out of the top of the cover. Don't ask how as I woudn't want to lie to you.

The valve covers on these cars are made from magnesium (not fibre), except as mentioned some 93's are stamped steel. Magnesium is a very brittle metal especially when it's as thin as on a valve cover as you found out. I can surely understand how you could break one by excess force on the filler neck. To my knowledge there are no aftermarket valve covers that work correctly on the SC because of the filler location. There should be plenty of valve covers available from members cheap. John

Back