Pulling engine

pipecraze

I'm about to pull my engine but I'm not sure where to chain it up. There are no chain loops or anything. Whats the best bet here?

Thanks!

This might be a NONO, but i took the heads off, and put 4 head bolts through chain links, and put the bolts back into the block, I've done this more than once.
Another option is to get a few straps and just throw them under and around the whole motor.

I have a potential no-no, too.

I used the studs on the timing cover and 4 of the intake manifold bolts.

this is what i did I wrapped one chain around the passenger side exhaust manifold and then I took the alternator bracket off and put the bolt back into the head and put the chain around the bolt on the drivers side head

Your best bet...

The best way is to use the holes in the back of the cylinder head and the front bolt on the other diagonal side.

If the heads are NOT on the car, use the head bolts to lift the motor out of the car. Make sure you get a lot of threads on there, otherwise, BYE BYE ENGINE BLOCK!!!

Don

I'm very picky when I messing around under and around any engine I'm pulling. I would leave the heads on and use the holes in front/back of the heads that are used for the accessory brackets. If the heads are off I would use the head bolt holes, but I would NOT use head bolts with the heads off the engine. Wherever you attach the chain you need to use a bolt length that turns down to the chain, you don't want an excess of bolt hanging out as that is an invitation to break the bolt. John

I think I'm going with the acc bracket bolt and opp side back of head bolt!

I'm leaving the tranny in the car but if I was to pull the eng/tranny together whats the best bet in that case?

My 90 also has loop brackets coming off the exhaust manifolds. Depending on the size of chain used, I had some interference with the lifting hood getting jammed into the side of the head, what a job getting THAT out. Use the holes on the fornt and back side of the heads. Just whatever you do, be careful to use something solid, if using bolts to hold chain on, make sure any excess bolt can be turned in to reduce the moment on the surface of the threads. Also, be careful not to damage any gasket surfaces with the chain, such as using intake manifold bolts to lift out engine (a big no-no). When me and dad lifted my engine out, we used the lfiting eye bracket already installed on the exhaust manifold, and looped the other end of the chain to diagnal of the other exhaust manifold. It took us 5.5 hours to drop the engine back into the car without removing the tranny or anything, so just a heads up.

Back