still confused

wishihad1

i had a post earlier about the car blowing white smoke really bad, well when i drained the oil, the oil was super black (only been in for 500 miles) and all the antifreeze was in the radiator still, but the lower pipe for the supercharger had oil in it, is that normal at all???

thanks
ryan

wishihad1 said:
i had a post earlier about the car blowing white smoke really bad, well when i drained the oil, the oil was super black (only been in for 500 miles) and all the antifreeze was in the radiator still, but the lower pipe for the supercharger had oil in it, is that normal at all???

thanks
ryan
well, alot of people are surprised by how fast oil gets dirty, you could definitly expect to see pretty dark oil within 500 miles. yes it is normal for there to be some oil in the intercooler tubing. If you have copious amounts of white smoke coming from your tailpipe, it definitly could mean headgasket failure, if there is no coolant in the oil it means you prolly got lucky and didn't screw up lower internals, you could have gotten a rupture between a cylinder and a water passage. You can take the lid off of te radiator while the car is running, and if you see a steady stead of bubbles in the radiator, it is another indication of HG failure.
When i reassembled my motor for the first time, i had billowing white smoke like you wouldn't believe. And it kept going steadt for like 20 minutes!! Turned out that while i had the motor out, some rain water got into the exaust down pipes and it took a while for it to all burn off. What i'm trying to say is that it doesn't take too much water to make ALOT of steam. So your radiator might not be loosing all that much water to be making the steam.

wishihad1 said:

thanks
ryan

To know for sure, go to NAPA and get part #700-1006, "combustion leak test kit". It consists of a clear cylinder with a rubber tip and a bottle of special fluid. You install the cylinder in place of the radiator cap and pour the fluid into that. Run the engine and if there are combustion gasses present the blue colored fluid will turn yellow. It runs about $50 and it can be used on any vehicle; you can get replacement fluid too without having to buy the whole kit.

Back