climate control, no fan

mattg

hey, my gf's 92 or so v8 t-bird has electronic climate control and the fan doesn't work at all. I hooked up a new blower motor and it still doesn't work. I hear the relay just below the fan clicking if that helps. I'm assuming the fuse is good, but i'll go double check that one. (which fuse is it btw?) I also ran the diagnositics for the system and I got back the 88*FC display so that says its all good.

so, assuming the fuse is good, what else could be causing this problem? and the radio stopped working too.. could they be related?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Check your ignition switch, I think you'll find it seperating. Just replace it. Some folks here fix it by putting a tye wrap around it. Don't know how reliable that is.

well, the radio should be working.. i have 12 volts at the wiring harness when the key is on.

does anyone have any other ideas as to the problem? I'll be checking the ignition switch this weekend, but I don't see how that could be causing the problem.

Here are a couple of things to check:-
1) The 30 amp blade fuse for the fan in the fuse box under the dash.
2) The contacts for the relay inside the speed controller. The relay may be clicking but its contacts may need to be cleaned.

J.D. said:
Here are a couple of things to check:-
1) The 30 amp blade fuse for the fan in the fuse box under the dash.
2) The contacts for the relay inside the speed controller. The relay may be clicking but its contacts may need to be cleaned.

That 30 amp fuse is good, but isn't that for the engine fan not the blower fan?

I think the engine fan is good.. the blower fan is the one I'm concerned with right now.

mattg said:
That 30 amp fuse is good, but isn't that for the engine fan not the blower fan?

I think the engine fan is good.. the blower fan is the one I'm concerned with right now.
I was referring to the 30 amp fuse for the blower fan.

J.D. said:

is the speed controller the thing below the blower fan behind the glove box?

Here's an Idea

This is kind of a stretch but it's happened to me twice. The wires going from the electronic control box to the blower motor (the black and orange 7 gauge ones) are way to short from the factory and touch against the blower housing. Well on a cold morning with a way hot heater these wires get untouchably hot and end up losing contact in the upper weather pack. I've bought the wire twice from ford and this second time made them three inches longer. I haven't had a problem since. I know it sounds like a stretch but I wrench on cement mixers for a living so anything is possible. Check your connectors and if you need the p/n I can get it for that wire.

97XR7 said:
This is kind of a stretch but it's happened to me twice. The wires going from the electronic control box to the blower motor (the black and orange 7 gauge ones) are way to short from the factory and touch against the blower housing. Well on a cold morning with a way hot heater these wires get untouchably hot and end up losing contact in the upper weather pack. I've bought the wire twice from ford and this second time made them three inches longer. I haven't had a problem since. I know it sounds like a stretch but I wrench on cement mixers for a living so anything is possible. Check your connectors and if you need the p/n I can get it for that wire.
The 97 has different wiring, speed controller, and dash control.

did anyone ever solve this problem? mine is doing the same exact think and the thing will blow a tiny bit of air out of the vents but not enough to do anything

thanks

Blower Speed Control Issues

I had an similar Problem but my Blower would stay on high all the time.I pulled the Module located at the botom of the Bower housing and found it to be all rusted from water getting into the blower area.I was not able to repair it and found out that it is available from Ford, for 150.00 hell no !!i am trying to find on used.

Back