A/C clutch not engaging.

iaragon

Had my a/c updated to R-134 almost two years ago. A/C was working fine until last weekend when I felt no cold air. Got home and noticed the compressor engaging, disengaging, engaging, disengaging.... then finally didn't engage anymore. Checked low pressure valve with a store-bought gauge and read 30lbs and not quite full (75%). Checked all fuses (not sure which fuse runs the a/c) and all looked fine! Any ideas? Relays that I should change?...

If not, i'll need to take it back to the place that did the upgrade.. Just trying to save some $$$$ in troubleshooting myself.

Thanks!

you probrably need to re-charge it.

Mine was doing the same thing, engaging and disengaging. I had a friend recharge mine, it took two cans but works great now. You can probrably save some $$$ by doing it with a do it yourself kit.

I don't know....

Yeah, bought the self recharge kit, but the gauges says its not empty.. Also, the fan doesn't turn on when A/C is on either. So, don't know if its related..
So:
- a/c clutch does not engage when turned on
- cooling fan does not spin when a/c is turned on

Its all dead???

No doubt it needs a recharge. The high/low pressure switch will keep it from allowing the pump clutch to be energized. This also skips the command to the PCM to turn on the low speed fan.
Those do it yourself kits have generic markings on the gauge, your system should be upwards of 50-55lbs. Keep filling it until 60 or the clutch comes in constant.

Ray

Back