Plastic(PVC) IC piping

T@Sound-Xtreme

Ok,

I know i know i know, Its been asked before.

But I was at the track last weekend and my buddy who has a typhon is using plastic piping, running low 11's in the 1/4. Now why dont we do this agian? He almost has me talked into doing it. I just wanna find out you dont. I see this as a great way to relocate the IC. But I wanna hear everyone elses thoughts...............................

Tyler

I'm sure it would work but I'd be pretty embarrased to pop my hood! Well, unless I popped the hood with my plumbers crack showing!:D

Tyler,

You can't cut and weld PVC piping and that's the reason. Unless you can use the PVC couplings, but i'm sure it wouldn't hold boost.:D

I used to have a subscription to MM&FF. There was an issue a few years back with a 1988 Mustang LX 5.0 bone stock with a custom built twin turbo system using T-bird TC turbos. It was running in the 10's and all the piping was done with PVC. As far as boost leaking....who knows??? Your right though, it's nothing pretty to look at.

we use plastic plumbing all the time in our landscaping bussiness and some is rated to 400 lbs and heat in the 150 deg range,

you could have it plastic chromed for looks but its very breakable after its gotten heated up a few times.

but it could work it would be neat to see it done if it worked it would be a cheap way to make some interesting setups.;)

CMac89 said:
Tyler,

You can't cut and weld PVC piping and that's the reason. Unless you can use the PVC couplings, but i'm sure it wouldn't hold boost.:D

it will hold the boost just fine... infact, with the simple glue made for PVC, it will handle more boost then you could ever make.

We just got finished doing the plumbing in a house we are building and pressure tested it at 100psi.. no leaks whatsoever.

This was 1/2", 3/4", 1", 2", 3" and 4" piping.

very very interesting......

I may actually try this soon. My only thought is, how would i connect the tubes to the top, and the IC? I have a few ideas, but wont be able to get a good one till i can see what i can work with from lowes.

Tyler

heat

sound goods for the most part ...but the temp out of the SC is about 250*f so PVC on the outlet may not be the best ....dave

I was at lowes yesterday piecing together things. I think it will work very good. But nextime I go I am going to tack my extra IC and top with me. I can only imagine the looks i'll get.

Tyler

I am sure you could find a black hose made of rubber or neoprene that would hold up to the heat and vibration....

the problems I would see would be sag after awhile from holding up the ic in a stock placement type setup but in a front mount I would use rubber hoseing with braided steel covering this comes in many sizes at truckstop parts houses. insulated looks good and flexable

mannysc said:
the problems I would see would be sag after awhile from holding up the ic in a stock placement type setup but in a front mount I would use rubber hoseing with braided steel covering this comes in many sizes at truckstop parts houses. insulated looks good and flexable

I like that idea manny, make a mount of some sort and make it front mount, or make it somewhere where it gets more air, and move the lower piping away from the manifold.

Will the distance of the piping effecty anything in anyway? the way i picture it is like a vacum, its sucks one end , and blows out the other.

So with all the alternatives we have discussed, why are ppl not running out doing this and showing it off to everyone else?

Tyler

Back