5spd 97 Cougar?

97XR7

I'm on my fourth MN-12 car and am wanting to do something different. I am losing my second 4R70W in my 97 4.6l XR7 and want to put a five or six speed in it this next go round. Has anyone come across a project like this? I was going to do it last year but couldn't find a 94/95 Super Coupe console. I think I'm gonna ask around before I spend to much money.:D

It is in fact something that can be done. I beleive a guy over on TCCoA has done this, his s/n is Cobra Thunder if memory serves me. Has the 4.6 w/ a 5sp.

I will agree with you that the 95/95 console will be hard to find. Took me 8 months to find one and it wasn't cheap either... $330 shipped :eek:

Not to much help/tips here, but its definately doable if you have the ambition.

-Tim

Definitely find the console cover first. Then I'm not sure what tranny was used but I think it makes for a REALLY cool conversion. Of course after you do that you have to add a supercharger at some point also. :D I've seen Cobra Thunder's car and it is sweet. With a Vortech on it the car makes about 330rwhp and runs easy 12's. Gorgeous car.

Thanks

I like your thinking XR7 Dave. I know where there is a red console but my interior is tan I'm affraid it will turn out like a severely ricer raped cheap ~~~ Honda civic interior if I paint it:eek: . That's good to know it has been done I figure if I can find enough 94/95 Super Coupe parts the conversion should go together with time.

As stated before a 5 speed cover will be tough to find. As for painting it the original consoles had some sort of paint/coating on them and they look fine. If you find the correct type of paint and prep the surface properly it should turn out fine.

Back