swapping the wireing

ZeroRain

im still trying to figure out the wiring between my 96LX and my 89SC. what i need is to know what to do about the connectors on the driverside. i mean one is square and the other is round. how can i get these to work?

Do you mean for the dash wiring harness ??
If you are using the 89 dash and the 96 engine wiring harness you'll need to cut and splice the wires.
I would use the square one since the hole on your firewall is already a square, unless you want to cut it round and have both sides of the round connector.
Just cut and solder the wires back together and re-use your original square connector. I think that would work if thats what youre talking about ..
- Dan

thats it for the most part but what i need to know is what wires are what and another thing with this is the two connectors next to the main engine comp under the dash/ passenger kick panel

It would be good to have an EVTM manual for what you are doing.

For the most part, the wires are color coded. You can almost match up each wire to the same colored wire on the other end. It would be good to trace the wires or crossreference them to the manual if possible.

Do you mean the connectors behind the passanger kick panel right under where the computer plugs in at ?? There are more than two down there.

I had to service one of mine recently in my 94 4.6 TBird, one of the wires on the connector I think you are referring to had shorted out across the dash which supplied power to the transmission solenoids. That same wire provides power to the EEC, and back to the IRCM on the other side of the harness.
So it may go back towards the engine if thats the one you are asking about.

I have all of the wiring diagrams and information for the 1994/1995 SC, 3.8 and 4.6.

Are you using an engine bay wiring harness for the 96/97 4.6 or 3.8 ??
I was trying to figure out what exactly you're doing but I got lost in the previous posts.

- Dan

I had to look back on your posts to re-read what you're doing.
89 SC engine into a 96 n/a body / Dash ..
You will have some extra wires since your 96 doesnt have all of the SC extra features, and your 96 may have some slightly different wiring configurations.
If you dont have the EVTM, you may want to do some planning first with the connectors you are not sure of.
I would write them down here and we may be able to look them up, or you might want to strip the wire looms away from the wires and go through them one by one.
Ive done this before and ended up running all of the wires under my fenders after lengthening quite a few and re-looming the wires. It was a huge mess of wires and I didnt bother looming them back in their original locations since I didnt plan it out very well.
- Dan

there are two connectors on the same line as the engine comp one is blue and the other is black. the same are on my 96 but they are diffrent sizes.i dont have an evtm. my main goal is for my sc motor to be in my lx body with all my lx options. if possible i only want to change the engine bay wiring and nothing else that way i dont have to tear my 96 apart like i had to do the 89

Back