studded main girdles

beer

about the avail. studed main girdles? i see morana and coy miller offer one are there any others what are the opinions on them? I see morana's requires modification to the main caps... anyone have the one from coy miller?

beer said:
about the avail. studed main girdles? i see morana and coy miller offer one are there any others what are the opinions on them? I see morana's requires modification to the main caps... anyone have the one from coy miller?
I have the CMRE main stud girdle. The main caps do not need modification, but I did need to grind a little clearance on the inside of the oil pan and I had to grind the studs & nuts a little on the front main cap. The biggest pain was the bend that is required to get the dipstick tube installed.

You guys should also take a look at the girdles from BTM. They are similar to the other styles and prob. easier to get. I'm sure the price is very reasonable considering the excelent product you get. Contact Paul at BTM and I'm sure he'll be able to explain things and help everyone out, he's a great guy to deal with. As far as I know, BTM girdles don't need any modification at all except for the pick-up tab. I think he also offers ARP studs at the same time. Check it out. http://www.bluetonguemotorsports.com/BTMParts/SCMainStudGirdle.htm

Looks like there are at least minor modifications for all available stud girdles.

Anyway, I know some would argue that stud girdles are not required on the SC engine. I know that several of the top SC's do not have stud girdles.

Thanks for all the info so far,

I tried to get to that BTM website but the link doesn't seem to work for me, do you have any pics? I will retry that link from home and see if it works...

Kurt said:
Anyway, I know some would argue that stud girdles are not required on the SC engine. I know that several of the top SC's do not have stud girdles.

The studded main girdle may actually be over-kill but if you spend a decent amount of work and $$$ on your short block and plan on upping the boost to about 20psi MAX w/race gas, I think it is a worth while investment, don't you?

anyone have any pictures that they can post? the one's I have seen so far on the mfg sites are not the best.

beer said:
The studded main girdle may actually be over-kill but if you spend a decent amount of work and $$$ on your short block and plan on upping the boost to about 20psi MAX w/race gas, I think it is a worth while investment, don't you?
I agree, which is why I have one on my car.

As for pictures, I searched for some previous posts of mine and found some posts that "used to have" pictures of my main stud girdle, but the hosting no-longer exists. I'm not sure where the pictures reside now.

Last edited:
I have the Morana Stud Girdle and it requires the main caps to be machined flat and shorter.

here is a pic i found of a morana studed girdle
billsmainstudgirdle.jpg

A main stud girdle would be the last item I add to my motor unless I was shooting for more than 400 horsepower to the rear wheels. There are so many other things you should invest in first.

might look easy, but there is a lot of tolerances and precise measurments involved in a peice like that.

fastsc92 said:
might look easy, but there is a lot of tolerances and precise measurments involved in a peice like that.

I've actually made one from a pattern for a pulling tractor. So I am speaking from a little experience.

interesting. 3 girdles and 3 different designs. Coy's looks like a better space safer, much more compact. BTM's has a lot more machining to it, with the indentations and such, Morana's looks pretty simple but probably just the job just as well as the rest of them.

If there is intrest I might be able to do somethat that will cost less at the same time might use some steel thats better for the job.

Mike8675309 said:
A main stud girdle would be the last item I add to my motor unless I was shooting for more than 400 horsepower to the rear wheels. There are so many other things you should invest in first.

and that i am...

sizemoremk said:
I picked up the morana windage tray/stud girdle for 75 bucks in the classifieds awhile back...

It doesn;t say anything about machining caps, but it looks like I may have to get their pickup to go with.

The machinist is going to slightly enlarge the holes to fit the ARP studs...

I'll have to see where he is with this.

http://www.moranav6racing.com/category.html?CategoryID=4

this is from his site; but i was under the impression that there was two versions of this girdle and im not talking about the thickness differances, one older setup and the new one?

3.8 Main Cap Stud Girdle
Hardened Steel
New thicker sizes!
Our exclusive Main Stud Girdle is made of high strength steel.
This Main Girdle strengthens the bottom- end by tying the 4 main caps together. Even stronger than a 4 bolt main!
* Super coupe & Mustang engines require modification of the main caps (instructions provided).
3/8" Thick Price: $180.00
1/2" Thick Price: $210.00
PRICE: $210.00

Back