Has anyone POWDER COATED a supercharger???

no164ford

Who has powder coated a sc before? Will it hurt the supercharger? I got a powder coating setup and wanted to make my super charger a diffrent color but I was thinking that the 30 min bake at 400*F may warp the caseing or rune the coating inside the case (I have a 94/95 blower)? Anyone have any idea what will happen???

Many here have had theirs done and a few have done it themselves, me included. It will NOT hurt the blower, technically the molecules in aluminum don't begin to "move" until a lil over 400*. From my experience, you can heat aluminum to 600-700* without trashing the structure as long as you don't disturb the snot out've the piece (beat on it, drop it, etc). I straighten bent/dented aluminum wheels at work as part of my living and use a temp gun, the sweet spot seems to be 600-650*. 800-1000 and you risk ruining the metallurgy wherever force is applied. The metal is then ruined.

As far as the temp required for coatings, the vast majority of them contain polymers that will "lock together" at 275-325* for only 17-25 minutes and give a great finish that's durable too. Ceramic coatings are about the only ones you go over 400 with, they need around 500 for up to an hour.

Here's one I did a 2-stage coat on, first with "chrome" powder and then "clear" powder. The black on the pulley & bolts is from Dupont, finest I've ever seen, looks like wet baked enamel.

blwrfin0326.jpg

By the way, there is no coating on the inside of your blower. Only things that are coated nare the rotors in the 94/95 blowers.

hope this helped,

'bird

That blower looks sweet! So you don't have to worry about the needle bearings or the snout seal/bearings the heat will not hurt them either? And for the coating on the 94/95 I did not think that they were coated on the inside of the case but the one I have has some sort of yellow/brown coating in it it looks just like the rotors it is even scrached like the rotors? I have never seen any outher 94/95 blower but I have seen tons of 89-93 blowers and they are all silver inside the case.

no164ford said:
That blower looks sweet! So you don't have to worry about the needle bearings or the snout seal/bearings the heat will not hurt them either? And for the coating on the 94/95 I did not think that they were coated on the inside of the case but the one I have has some sort of yellow/brown coating in it it looks just like the rotors it is even scrached like the rotors? I have never seen any outher 94/95 blower but I have seen tons of 89-93 blowers and they are all silver inside the case.
nooooooooooo...Can't just take it off yer car and throw it in the oven, the blower has to be disassembled down to an empty case and snout. All internal parts need to come out and the parts to be powdercoated need to be cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and gasket surfaces gotta be taped and etc etc etc.
Then, when you're ready to apply the powder, clean everything again.

'bird

:) :) LOL! I know I have done Powder coating before. I have the blower apart right now and I am welding it up for a custom port job witch I have also done before. I was just woundering if I had to pull the needle bearings out of the bolwer case before bakeing due to the heat? And what about the snout bearings/seal? And if you do how do you get the needle bearings out with out trashing them?

nice powder coating.... yeah i asked the same question and yes you do have to dis-assemble the whole unit.... even the needle bearings... u have to press them out and press them back in... i have a press here at work and i think they will let me use it... anywho. im gonna do it on my early style blower first and do try to powder coat it one hell of a high gloss aluminum coat.... any more info WYNN... did i spell it right?

If you are taking apart the blower it's best to replace the rear bearings at the same time. With that said, you can replace those after the powder coating....thats what I did.

As for the snout, take everything apart like Wynn said then tape off all gasket surfaces pefore painting.

I powder coated the case and snout, not the center section for fear that I might damage something. It was @ 360* for 20 mins.

Attachments

• Parts painted.jpg
    Parts painted.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 929
Last edited:
darkstar_one said:
nice powder coating.... yeah i asked the same question and yes you do have to dis-assemble the whole unit.... even the needle bearings... u have to press them out and press them back in... i have a press here at work and i think they will let me use it... anywho. im gonna do it on my early style blower first and do try to powder coat it one hell of a high gloss aluminum coat.... any more info WYNN... did i spell it right?
Thanks for the compliment, sorry but I cain't type worth a hoot and I only use 2 fingers so it takes forever...so, you can just imagine what it would take for me to do a post like one of Vernon's...it would take an epic novel to explain my version of powdercoating.

'bird

ps..........
bearings0065.jpg

tbirdsc357 said:
If you are taking apart the blower it's best to replace the rear bearings at the same time. With that said, you can replace those after the powder coating....thats what I did.

As for the snout, take everything apart like Wynn said then tape off all gasket surfaces pefore painting.

I powder coated the case and snout, not the center section for fear that I might damage something. It was @ 360* for 20 mins.
I haven't seen you on here in forever......

BKB powdercoated his blower candy purple, but not the center section as it won't take the heat with the internal parts. I have a pic of his blower somewhere.

Back