intercooler removel

flying bird

I did a search but was unable to find what i was looking for. how do you take off the i.c. tubes? is there a special tool? If so where do I get one. I tried a screwdriver and hammer, I quickly found out it was not a good idea, would have taken all day.

To remove the top tube you use a 1/2 in or 13mm wrench to take the nuts that attach the ic tube to the intercooler.The top of the tube can be removed by either rotating the collar nut towards the back of the engine compartment.Or simply remove the top from the blower with the tube attached.There is a tool for the collar removal i think you can get it at Supercoupe performance,or you could use a screwdriver and hammer or a rubber strap wrench.

Rubber strap wrench works like a charm:D

Doesn't mess up the collar nut like the spanner nut wrenches.....

Get IC tube gaskets from tbird88.....

They are worth every penny.....:D

Make sure you are turning the spanner wrench the right way. Remember it screws ONTO the IC tube. As 92strokedbird mentioned the top of the nut needs to go towards the rear of the car to loosen. A hammer and screwdriver can work, but you can also chip/crack the nut.

sendo said:
so after i take off the 2 13mm nuts, which way do i turn that collar?
If you are looking at it from the driver's side fender the you would be turning it clockwise to remove it.

Note that often times, especially if you don't have the right tool, it's easier to take the nuts out of the SC top, then pull the top tube off.

The studs into the IC can be backed out with a 5.5mm socket. don't forget the nut and stud below the top tube as well.

The big collar nut is lefty loosy, righty tighty. The thing that confuses people is you forget that the point of view for that type of nomenclature is facing the driver side fender from the passenger side fender. (the nut turns onto the tube) When you're in front of the engine, it's turning the nut towards the firewall. And from the drivers side you are turning it right to loosen it.

Be very careful as the nut and the tubes, and the top are all cast aluminum. Very brittle and can easily crack if too much force is applied. Don't lean on a wrench too much or hit anything too hard with a hammer.

ok, turning it clockwise and now it look like it is crosstreding
help!! do i keep turning it ,when is it coming off?

Attachments

• DCP_0018.JPG
    DCP_0018.JPG
    303.5 KB · Views: 135
Without predjudice:

If that is indeed the problem you are facing, then I suggest you cease working on the car immediatly and take it to a shop. Thier is no reason for that collar to come off.

Respectfully,

the 13 mm?, i took them off and now i turn the big one clockwise and that where i am at look ate the pic and see that it is coming off crocked

Last edited:
Looks pretty bad.....

It looks like it is already cross threaded in the picture.....

Why were you taking it off in the first place?:confused:

You need to invest in a service manual, period. Helms would be the best, but a Haynes or Chiltons will help tremendously.

The nut you removed doesn't not need to come off and frankly, I'm impressed that you were able to remove it. I tried removing the one from the lower tube to go to a different style hose connection, and couldn't get it to budge...even with adding heat.

sendo said:
ok, turning it clockwise and now it look like it is crosstreding
help!! do i keep turning it ,when is it coming off?

Dude, what the heck are you doing? Why are you taking that part off the tube? Those collars on the tubes are left hand thread. Lefty Tighty, Rightly Loosy. They don't need to come off to do anything with the tube.

You didn't remove the bottom bolt that I circled in this picture. You should have taken that one off.

Attachments

• bottombolt.jpg
    bottombolt.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 105
Mike8675309 said:
Those collars on the tubes are left hand thread. Lefty Tighty, Rightly Loosy.
Hmmm, maybe that's why I couldn't get it removed when I was trying to.

I'm impressed that you got that cross threaded so well. That looks awesome...if awesome = how to munson a tube all up. Kudos.

In all seriousness.....you need to put the entire IC tube in your freezer (yes it will fit). Leave it there for a few hours until it gets nice and cold. Then get a handy dandy propane torch and heat that ring up nice and good. Use gloves so you can handle the hot parts. If you remove a really frozen IC tube and have the ring nice and hot.....you should be able to slide the ring right into place!

Micah

Micahdogg said:
you need to put the entire IC tube in your freezer (yes it will fit). Leave it there for a few hours until it gets nice and cold. Then get a handy dandy propane torch and heat that ring up nice and good. Use gloves so you can handle the hot parts. If you remove a really frozen IC tube and have the ring nice and hot.....you should be able to slide the ring right into place!

Micah
Hmm, I might have to try that for my project. Except that the ring doesn't slide on, it threads on. But it still might help me

Back