driveshaft question

did any 5-speed SC come with aluminum D/S stock?

I have a 92 5-speed, and am curious....
I don't see any specifics on this here.

paul

The Mark driveshaft wont work in your 5 speed, or the auto. No SC's ever came with an aluminum shaft either.
I just found out the AOD shaft wont work on a 4r70w either, they are the same length but the snout appears to be a little smaller in diameter.
- Dan

The MK VIII driveshaft will work on Auto's but the T-bird yoke has to be used, for the 5-speed the drive shaft has to be shortened and the T-bird yoke to be used.

The Mark8 shaft is about 5 point something inches to long. The good Mark8 shaft to use is the one out of a '93 Mark8 cause its a one piece shaft. '94 might also have the one piece shaft as well.

Shane

I got my one piece shaft out of a 93 Mark, I also built a 94 Mark and it had the one piece shaft. My moms 95 Mark LSC has the one piece shaft also, which I was suprised to find.
- Dan

About the middle of the shaft you will see a seperation and a little rubber between the two layers of aluminum.
One piece shaft is solid, you'll know for sure if its one piece.
- Dan

Oh ok. That means that the mark8 drive shaft that I have is a one piece then. There isn't a seperation about half way down the shaft.

Shane

I think so, its been a while since I saw a two piece shaft, but it should look simular to those on the steel shaft.
- Dan

I want to say yes...but then I got to looking and realized that I only knew of the steel shafts that have the ribs...however, now you know what to look for. I BELIEVE the aluminum ones have ribs too but I just cant remember.

Chris

I have a 93 Mk VIII one piece driveshaft in my 5 spd. It cost me $181 to have it cut, welded, and balanced and the driveline shop R & R'ed it for me. I paid $75 for the driveshaft at a local junk yard.

The AOD has a smaller U Joint, if you tried to put it onto the AODE/4r70W shaft, it wouldnt fit right and there would be space between the joint and the clips that hold it in place.
- Dan

Back