PDA

View Full Version : Is this Normal ???

SuperCoupe007
07-24-2002, 11:16 PM
I took off the Intercooler and it had no gaskets or sealent on it ??? Is it a good idea to remove the IC tubes as well to remove the oil that is inside the tubes ??? when i reinstall the cooler what should i use to seal it ???
What oil name brand and viscosity grade would you recommend for the engine ? thinking of using synthetic.... oh yeah its a 90 SC 5-speed..
thanks guys...

LJGriggs
07-25-2002, 12:04 PM
1) I bought my SC new, the first time I removed the intercooler there was no visible sign of the (teflon tape) sealer.

2) If you remove the intercooler to clean out the oil (that gets in the tubes from the PCV) you may want to wipe the excess oil from the inside of the tubes, not necessary though.

3) Many of us use Permatex (or some other brand) gasket sealer. Just make sure you use a sensor safe compound and give it a while to "set up".

4) Mobile 1 synthetic 10w40

Bill Evanoff
07-25-2002, 12:44 PM
I agree that the original IC seals nearly disappear when crushed to make the tubes seal together. It may be possible that your tubes were disassembled by someone previously and they never resealed them.

The Ford sealing tape is preferred, but other means can work if done properly.

I wouldn't fool with cleaning the IC tubes. They will get dirty with oil mist again quickly. The small amount of oil the PCV and breather systems input into the air system is nearly insignificant.

I recommend any synthetic 5W30. I use either Mobil 1 or Amsoil.
The shop manual recommends 5W30, so I take its advise and I don't live in an area in the country prone to extreme cold or heat.

SuperCoupe007
07-25-2002, 03:13 PM
i am gonna get Mobil 1, but should i get the Fully Synthetic, or the Synthetic blend ????

LJGriggs
07-25-2002, 03:45 PM
I use the fully synthetic (I think it is.....), but the reality is that it shouldn't matter as long as you change the oil at the proper intervals.....