PDA

View Full Version : front pass. side upper control arm removal?

92scindallas
11-29-2005, 08:34 PM
did a search but could not find... what all do i need to take out to get the the back bolt on the fron pass. side upper control arm?..., i can see the front bolt under the intake tube but dont see how to get to the rear? help please~mike

Cobra85
11-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Mike,
What most folks do is remove the tab from the bolt head and use a 6 pt socket that fits. The tab is removed by prying on it with a large screw driver. Put a box or open end on the nut and remove the bolt. Reverse for re-assembly.
Hope this helps you.

92scindallas
11-29-2005, 08:46 PM
oh.. it all helps! thanks!.., there is some other stuff in the way before you get to the bolt do i just move it aside..? or is there anything else to disconect? thanks

Cobra85
11-29-2005, 08:51 PM
oh.. it all helps! thanks!.., there is some other stuff in the way before you get to the bolt do i just move it aside..? or is there anything else to disconect? thanks
Head of the bolt is located in the tire well next to the shock//spring assy. Nothing else to remove if you do it this way, though the nut might be a bit tricky to put back on. Nothing really difficult.

TbirdSCFan
11-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Mike,
Give me a call in about 1/2 hour and I'll see if I can give you some pointers. :) Here's 1 hint: Passengerside rear nut can be reached easily from underneath.

92scindallas
11-29-2005, 09:24 PM
Mike,
Give me a call in about 1/2 hour and I'll see if I can give you some pointers. :) Here's 1 hint: Passengerside rear nut can be reached easily from underneath.

will do!.. thanks

Ddubb
11-29-2005, 09:29 PM
I just did one of those on a 91 SC .. it sure was a pain to get off. We used a 18mm open end wrench and turned it a little at a time. It would almost be easier to take the front coilover shock out for more room.
- Dan

7birdslater
11-29-2005, 10:23 PM
I did this once on a 96 cougar. I was fed up with the job and cut a small access door with a grinder to get at this bolt straight on. 10 minutes later, and I had the new upper arm in and was welding the access plate back on and the job was done. The plate was hidden behind the inner fender plastic. I dont recommend this really, but it worked for me. And as much as I dread this job on my 90SC, I will have all the same tools at my disposal. :)