wont start

ndiiorio

i got a 90 auto. has been in storage for about a year when i bought it. it did not start and i found that it was the fuel pump. i replaced the fuel pump and it started it right up. i had other work to do and had not started the car for the last three months. upon putting everything back together (under the hood) it wont start again. if i spray starter fluid into the intake it starts and runs until it uses all the fluid then dies. the fuel pump is new, but i cant hear it turning on, however the relay in the trunk is turning on. so could there be another problem beside the fuel pump? and does the power (wiring) for the fuel pump come directly from the relay? the inertia switch is not pushed out, is there anything else that will cause the fuel pump not to pump?

First I would pull codes, get an external fuel gauge and double check for vacuum leaks. Here is an external fuel gauge from summit part # sum-800199

Last edited:
Did you change the fuel filter? I'd probably think that there was something that made the old pump push its last liter of gas. Replace the filter and maybe even the fuel pressure regulator, if you haven't already.

Good Luck

Back