Crank/Cam Sensor?

cheeriosluvr

I was driving tonight and my car had a slight skip, so i figured it had a bad plug wire or something. So i really didnt worry too much about it.......then it got worse. To a point where when i was coming to a stop the RPM's jumped and then dropped...and eventually stalled the car....it started with a slight hesitation.

I went into a resturant to eat and then came back out to leave, my car started fine but then started to skip again so i decided to go home before it was too late and would no longer run....well it happened quicker than i thought, driving through the parking lot coming up to the stop sign to turn onto the main road the car died right there and wouldnt start :( Luckly my friend noticed i had a problem and came and helped push it out of the way.

Towed it home and my dad thought it might have been the DIS Module so i switched out his from his 90 and his didnt work on my car, but mine worked on his...so it rules out the DIS Module. Also the car is getting fuel and spark

So i am think its one of the two sensors.....or possibly both.
Might anyone have the FORD part numbers for these???
Please help me!!!!!!!!!

Todd
:confused: :(

Kinda long sorry:D

Last edited:
When you try to crank the car does the upshift light (a little arrow on the instrument panel that points up) stay on? If so, that indicates a crank sensor failure. I don't think it is the Cam Sensor, because the car will start when it fails, it just won't run worth a %*&#......

Also, and I hate to even bring this up, check the bolt in the middle of the balancer. If it is broken (or gone) you have a busted balancer which probably wiped out the crank sensor.......

Well im doing crank and cam sensors tonight....i will check the balancer bolt tonight and i forgot to see if the Upshift light stays on...ill let everyone know after work.
Any more imput??? Thanks

Todd

ok i just got home and check the crank balancer.....it still all there....so its not that...

i cranked the car over and the upshift light remained on.....does that mean my problem is the Crank sensor????

thanks guys for the help

todd

Yup. Have fun. You might try checking the connections and wires first.. Carefully unplug/replug and wiggle a handful of wires to see if anything clears up. Procure a 7mm (that's rather tiny) open end wrench to remove the upper crank sensor bolt. I couldn't find any way to get a socket that size onto it as the balancer was partially blocking it.

Quick question for those who have done the Crank sensor. It is possible to replace without pulling the damper, right? The shop manual says to pull the Balancer but it looks like I can get it out/in without going through all that. I haven't looked close yet and will just go as far as I have to when the time comes. I am doing other work right now so I have a couple days.

Thanks
Rock
93 SC 5spd & 89 SC AOD

you do not have to pull the dampner....

take off the whole braced its mounted to....very easy

Well i replaced my crank and cam sensor and it didnt help my car start......but the problem is that we are blowing EEC fuses in the unerhood box.....

so we have to find the short :(
im taking it somewere on monday

todd

take off the whole braced its mounted to....very easy

aint that the Truth!!!!

about a month ago, my crank sensor went, and we spent the better part of 2 days trying to get those 2 stupid screws off of the plate that the crank sensor mounts too.. argh.

mine went real sudden btw, and when we took it off it was obvious how and why it failed. the friggin supercharger belt wore into the plastic cover and then into the wireing itself, one of the people who previously worked on the car didnt put the crank sensor in its proper place.

Back