which best plugs/wires?

onemikedown

My car has the "bucking under boost" problem and I heard the place to start is by changing the plugs and wires. I was wondering which plugs and wire combinations has had the most sucess? Thanx in advance, mike

IT 20 denso Iridiums..GREAT plug..Totally got rid of my spark blow out with 21psi...Wires I like the Accell Extreme wires if you can find em as well

Stock Autolite plugs and Split Fire wires is what I have on mine......

And the colored wires look good, too......

Check the FAQ section. That will be a good start. Stock replacements from Ford are good as well as Taylor wires I've heard are good and a lot cheaper than the Magnacores that I have. I had the bucking under boost problem as well right after I changed the plugs. Turned out one of my new plugs was cracked. It was an autolite, but I don't think that was the issue. I don't know if one of the plugs was cracked during shipment or I cracked it (at least I don't remember knocking it around).

Do a search under this part of the forum and you'll find enough info to last you a lifetime. This subject has been beat to death with a horse thats already beaten to death.

Doesn't matter what wires you get whether it's Taylors, Magnecor, Accel etc.... They will all be fine. Autolite Double Platinums are more than good enough just as long as you change them once a year.

The Denso's are good, but unnecessary. You're crazy if you buy a set of plugs for $75.

quick35th said:
I like my NGK Iridiums and Taylor plug wires. They work great.

Shane

I'll second that.

I had a set of Magnacores on my SC and a couple of them kept falling off the plugs. I called Magnacore and was told that the SC is the most difficult vehicle for the wires to fit. Ended up tossing the Magnacores and putting on stock Ford wires with no problem.

While my engine is apart again (dropped a valve) picked up a set of Taylors. Was running the NGK Iridiums and they worked well.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX Sport

I did do the search first but...

all the suggestions were different. The most popular 1 when I did the search was autolite double platnium but I figure i'd ask again in case a new plug came out that really solved the problem for more then a month. Thanks for the input guys, mike

Last edited:
I had Autolite DP and went to Denso Iridiums..My opinion a better plug...

Lightnings came with iridium plugs..Ford switched to them from the Platinums...That should tell ya something!

Minimum plug is the stock Motorcraft double plat (AWSF 34PP or current Ford #). The equivalent Autolite #APP 2544 are very good & much easier to find at $4ea ($3.99 at Advanced Auto). Some people with very high HP & boost use the same Autolite APP but one step colder. Next would be the NGK Iridiums which are about $7ea. and top of the line are the Denso's which I believe are as much as $19ea. Changing plugs on the SC is a PIA job, so I'd use the best plugs you can afford. There are a lot of choices for wires from Taylor, Accell, Magnacore, etc as mentioned. Personally I've had 3 SC's - driven close to 500,000m and the Autolites + Magnacore 8.5mm wires have been flawless. Just remember, that with 60k change intervals the plug boots become very hard to remove; so use lots of dielectric grease inside the boot.

1 more thing I noticed...

Now that the weather is colder my car along with the "bucking under boost" problem also seems to have an elliptical idle. could the plugs/wires also be responsible for this as well? :confused:

another vote for denso IT20's but remember they are also changed more fequently than your regular type of plugs

Change plugs every year? Please, no! No! That would be a small taste of hell.

On the other hand, Joisey Jim has a point - the shorter your interval, the easier it is, due to the INCREDIBLY hard to remove boots.

It only takes me 20-30 minutes to change the plugs in my car. To prevent the hard to get off boot just put some dielectric grease in there.

onemikedown said:
Now that the weather is colder my car along with the "bucking under boost" problem also seems to have an elliptical idle. could the plugs/wires also be responsible for this as well? :confused:

Yes change them

Back