Check Engine Light

superchicken94

The check engine light comes on intermittently. When it did that some time back, the Ford dealer said the code causing it was the mass air flow sensor. They cleaned it with something, don't know what. That seemed to fix it for a while now doing it again. Dealer said it may need replaced but is expensive. Can you get this from anywhere except the Ford guy? Is it specific to SC's? Is this a common problem?

Did the dealer tell what CEL code they got? (generally speaking you'll get "MAF voltage out of range"). And do you have a K&N type air filter. Normally the MAF doesn't need servicing, but a common problem is oil from the K&N type filter getting on the sensor wires. It's an easy clean with something like alcohol & a cotton swab or a spray type electrical cleaner (probably what the dealer did). You'll just need to get one of the special torx bits that accomodates the tamper proof screws on the top of the MAF (or you can break off the little center stud in the head of the torx screw). Then remove the black plastic top off the MAF body and you'll see the small sensor wires - just be gentle with the cleaning. Give that a try first and maybe spray clean out the inside of the MAF body itself and the small sample tube where the sensor wires sit.

Thanks, I will try that. I don't know what the number of the code was.
I use a stock type paper filter

Last edited:
You mean you cleaned the wires and the engine light comes back on? I'd invest in one of the cheap Actron code readers for our Ford OBD 1 computers (about $35 at WalMart). You can then check the engine light and ABS system codes yourself. Next I'd examine the wiring from the MAF., it's usually combined in a loom with the coolant level sensor wiring (varies with model year). Unwrap the tape and look for any damage to the wires. If you eventually have to get new MAF electronics you are going to have to splice the wires in anyway. If the engine lights are intermittent (doesn't stay on)and the code indicates the MAF sensor voltage is temorarily out of range, I think I'd live with it until it becomes a permanent code or effects the cars performance.

If you are getting a check engine light then scan for codes first. This could be completely unrelated to your previous issues. Search online on how to scan for codes for an EEC-IV. You don't need a scanner and you don't have to take it to AutoZone. The procedure is relatively painless.

Back