abs to standard conversion problem

ndiiorio

i already did the switch. i used a used brake booster from a lowline 90 tbrd and i bought a new master cylinder for a 93 crown vic interceptor. it is already on the car and i am trying to bleed the brakes. there doesn't seem to be any air in the lines but the brake pedal never gets any firmer. i can push it all the way to the floor with almost no resistance. what am i doing wrong? i bled the master cylinder with the bleeder valve on the side of the cylinder. then i proceeded to do the pass. rear then driver, pass front, etc. the pedal always went right to the floor it seems like nothing changed. i know that i am getting pressure because it is coming out on all the valves at each brake. so right now i have no brakes. any suggestions? i have a 90aod sc.

I always put the new master cylinder in a vise on the workbench then bleed it seperate first before installing on the car. If you don't you will never get the air out. What are you using for a proportioning block?
Don't drive the car until you can get a firm pedal.

i wont drive it. I am brake illiterate, so what is the proportioning block? i did bleed it on the bench first and then again before the brakes after i had installed it.

Usually on a non-abs car there is a distribution block (sometimes they are proportioning valves) that has both brake lines from the master cylinder feed to it. From this block goes two front brake lines and a single rear brake line that splits at the rear axle(drum brakes) or has two rear lines for disc brake applications) If you get a loss of pressure on front or rear the distribution valve will shut off those brakes allowing full pressure to the other end. You may need a Crown Vic or 93 UP SC distribution block. I think 89-92 T-Bird/Cougar all disc brakes cars had the Teves II abs like the SC.

If you think you still have air in the lines you may need to rent or borrow a power bleeder system.

If you have Front Disc and Rear Drum, you'll need a Combination Valve.
If you have 4 wheel Disc, you can use a proportioning valve to reduce the pressure to the rear wheels so the front brakes apply before the rears.
- Dan

Ddubb said:
If you have Front Disc and Rear Drum, you'll need a Combination Valve.
If you have 4 wheel Disc, you can use a proportioning valve to reduce the pressure to the rear wheels so the front brakes apply before the rears.
- Dan

This was not mentioned in the origional 'conversion' thread, is it somehow exempt?
paul:confused:

Most of us have rear discs in the SC, so we didn't really bring up the drum setup.... And the proportioning valve was mentioned, there are even pictures of where that guy hooked all of it up...

the master that i have has two seperate lines for the front and one for the rear i have a proportioning valve on the rear and the front run seperate. there is a bleeder valve on the side. the master is brand new but could it be bad? i have four wheel disc brakes.

I thought you WERE NOT supposed to use the interceptor MC? I almost started this project today but I didn't have enough confidence in the junkyard parts I found so I left them.

Jeremy_K said:
I thought you WERE NOT supposed to use the interceptor MC? I almost started this project today but I didn't have enough confidence in the junkyard parts I found so I left them.

Well they might have made good cores, are yoiur junkyards high in those parts???

sizemoremk said:
Well they might have made good cores, are yoiur junkyards high in those parts???
Do the parts stores have a core charge on the MC and booster? I can get them for $15 each at the junkyard. The MC I found had some black sludge in the bottom and I didn't feel like yanking the booster today. I'll go back if it's worthwile saving money on core charges.

Jeremy_K said:
Do the parts stores have a core charge on the MC and booster? I can get them for $15 each at the junkyard. The MC I found had some black sludge in the bottom and I didn't feel like yanking the booster today. I'll go back if it's worthwile saving money on core charges.

Autozone or advance auto .com etc wil show what the core charges are...

Back