check engine light code 66

ndiiorio

90 aod sc with check engine light. koeo gives me a 66 in the computer memory. the book i have says high voltage at MAF sensor. do i need to replace this? if i do need a new sensor can i get a high performance one even though right now my car is totally stock? (minus air silencer) also, when i put my car in gear she hesitates moving til i give her gas even with my foot off the brake. is this early signs of transmission problems? just bought the car not to long ago and i have yet to drive it. the car has 76000 miles i am the third owner, but the second owner drove it for about 500 miles then the abs went out, has been sitting for a year.

I would record the code and clear the memory out. Being that this is a held memory code it could have been recorded during running or during the KOEO. If it posts the code again on the KOEO then there is a good chance that the sensor or it's circuit is bad. If it posts it only during koeR then there is a whole list of different things that can cause the car to record this code.

Vacuum leaks
misfires
IAC
boost control valve
etc.
etc.
etc.

Ray

i just finished putting a new water pump, doing the abs conversion and new plugs and wires, belts, etc and i cleared all the codes. when i do a koeo i get the 11 then when i do the koer test it gives me the 66 code? i checked as best i could for vacuum leaks and i cant find any, so would it be a good idea to get a new maf sensor?

checking for vacuum leaks

I've found that the best way to check for vacuum leaks is to get a can of carburetor cleaner and spray down the vacuum lines with it. The idle should jump if there is a leak. Other than that, have you tried cleaning the MAF? It may just be dirty.

You probrably already tried this.....

....but you might try and make sure the MAF is plugged in all the way. Mine likes to back off by itself (al it takes is a little engine vibration). I usually forget it does this and it comes off when I move the intake tube to do the plugs, and sure enough there is that dang CEL! I use some elect. tape to keep it secure. Then make sure you remember to clear the codes.

Good Luck
Wade

Back