Bov, Bpv

CHADD

Im currently installing the supercoupe setup (m90) with all the piping onto my F150... my question is, would it hurt anything to disconnect the Bypassvalve and run a blowoffvalve? I know they do the same... but one recirculates teh air and the other just releases the air into the open...

I know its possible to do but would there be any cons to this? did anyone do this on their thunderbird?

the con would be decreased gas mileage under part throttle (normal driving) from the supercharger constantly trying to build pressure (positively pump) when it is not needed. You would lose that hp that goes into turning it with a pressure difference.

The bypass valve is open under light loads, this keeps the pressure constant across the SC, thus saving the power required to build boost pressure if it is not needed.

I don't know how much fuel economy it would be, probably 3-5 mpg, but it would sound cool all of the time.

As far as a bov goes, you probably won't need it because the pressure is going to remain pretty constant. So if you want 8psi, find the right gear ratio for that. There is not internal compression with an eaton so the boost won't climb like a turbo or centrifugal. A bov would be more for show, just find the right gear ratio.

So you don't need either, if you want one, put on a bypass for fuel economy.

Possible? yes. Good idea? no.

The air needs to be recirculated back through the supercharger and not just released from the system because that air has already passed through and been metered by the Mas Air Flow sensor. If you release the air via a BOV the computer would still think there is more air in the intake system than there is and you would end up running pig rich after the BOV opened. The only way you could get around this would be if you replaced the MAF with a blow through type and relocated to after the supercharger and BOV.

Your best bet is to stick with the bypass valve and run it as intended. That bypass valve is what allows you to get decent mileage when boost is not needed as it just recirculates the air but when you get into it and put a load on the engine it gives you the boost to increase power. Kind of a "best of both worlds" scenario.

Tracy

good answers... never thought of it that way before... thanks guys... bypass stays on then... :D

Back