need advice on exhaust

manny

a buddy of mine suggested i cut off both mufflers and go with straight pipes and chrome tips. will this make it sound "manlier" ? my car is completely stock and i have been pondering the idea of doing something with the exhaust so i can get a deeper and more menacing sound out of it. or will deleting the mufflers make it sound like crap? any advice is appreciated.

Manny, the setup that I went with is 2 1/4" down tubes into hi-flo cats into a magnaflow dual in/ single out resonator, 3" connector to the differential and then 2 1/2" tail pipes that exit straight out with 3" stainless tips with no mufflers (you can see a pic on my member page). The sound was great with a nice deep (for a V6) rumble at idle. At idle it wasn't too loud at all. It gets kinda loud when you jump on the throttle, although it sounds great under WOT and isn't obnoxiously loud. Most importantly it doesn't sound ricey! The only real issue I had with this setup is that between 1400 - 1800 RPMs there is some drone as well as some on the highway.
This past summer, thanks to the boys in blue, I had to get my exhaust "fixed" as the office pulling me over gave me a fix-it ticket for an "exhaust leak":rolleyes: At the local shop where I had the exhaust done, I had him weld in a set of glasspacks (1 in each tail pipe). I wish I had done this initially. What a huge difference! It got rid of the drone (which was mostly in around town driving) and deepened the tone a bit more. It really sounds great now! Now it has a nice deep tone around town and sounds equally great at WOT.
Just as an aside, I will say that this setup does seem better matched with a 5-speed. It sounded great back when the car was an auto, but I didn't have the glasspacks at that point so it was hard keeping it out of the drone zone. Now that I have them, I think it would probably sound just as good either way. Sorry about the novel. If you want to send me a PM with your email address, I can send you a sound clip of the exhaust from before I had the glasspacks installed when I get home from work. Hope this helps.

I tried this is will drive you crazy at highway speeds like a b52 flying three feet over your car

mannysc said:
I tried this is will drive you crazy at highway speeds like a b52 flying three feet over your car
I didn't think it was that bad. A little annoying at times, but it was more around town than on the highway. I do have to say though, that putting in those glasspacks really did well eliminating the drone. It's still louder than stock, but now it's enjoyable as a cruiser and not just at WOT. You've got a great looking car, by the way.

How have you been feeling, mannysc? I remember you posting about having some problems earlier this year.

Last edited:
Re: B52

mannysc said:
LMFAO...................Funny Manny!!!!!!!!!!!!

68COUGAR

Im ok learned to live with diabeties now justhave to get my butt in gear have many projects to finish but I tire so easy now lost 30 lbs ive been so busy with others i dont worry about me my brother has bone cancer and kidney liver failure and congestive heart failure, so I spend most my time talking to him .

my problems are nothing ill live . kinda made me re think my ideas of life and my part in it ,

also I dont get mad much anymore life is to short to be mad .

so now Im starting to get m y stuff done like ported heads for Jose. and D shaped intake plenum and 3 inch inlet plenum and a set of modified shorty headers all of these i should have had done a long time ago .

but back to the original post that i hyjacked with glasspacks its not so bad with mufflers cut off its pretty bad.

mannysc said:
Im ok learned to live with diabeties now justhave to get my butt in gear have many projects to finish but I tire so easy now lost 30 lbs ive been so busy with others i dont worry about me my brother has bone cancer and kidney liver failure and congestive heart failure, so I spend most my time talking to him .

my problems are nothing ill live . kinda made me re think my ideas of life and my part in it ,

also I dont get mad much anymore life is to short to be mad .

so now Im starting to get m y stuff done like ported heads for Jose. and D shaped intake plenum and 3 inch inlet plenum and a set of modified shorty headers all of these i should have had done a long time ago .

but back to the original post that i hyjacked with glasspacks its not so bad with mufflers cut off its pretty bad.

Sorry to hear about your brother, but I'm glad you're doing ok. Stay strong, for yourself and for your brother. I'll pray for you.

Back