Rear View Mirror / Electric Cooling Fan

BCSC

My automatic tint rear view mirror does not work in my 91 SC. Does anyone know what fails inside them and can this be fixed?

Also...

My Electric cooling fan sometimes does not shut off and I have to unplug it for it to turn off. If I do not do this it will continue to run until it kills the battery. Has anyone had this happen before and what do you do to fix it.

To fix the mirror, well, if it was me, I would just get one if the regular ones and use it. Those auto mirrors NORMALY didn't work for too long, not saying that a good one can't be found today.

The fan problem I have experianced, but never fixed. From what I understand the problem is that module that is placed behind the passenger side headlight in front of the air box has gone bad. If I'm not mistaken the only way to rid yourself of that problem is to replace that module.

Check the sensor between the green power light and the off/auto switch....

I had a sticker from the circuit board fall down and covered the sensor and made the mirror inoperable....

They are pretty easy to take apart....

I have the factory auto-dim mirror in my 05 F150 and it works awesome. Nothing at all like the blurry one in the 93SC I had. If it were me trying to fix one, I would find a late model F150 mirror, maybe from a junkyard, and wire it up. Its self contained with the forward facing light sensor, and the rear light sensor, and stays on all the time.

My 1989 Base model had a working mirror when I gave it to my uncle a couple years back. The only problem I had with it was that it was hard to turn on because the switch was funky. I had to jam the switch to "On" to get it on, but then it worked great.

Back