piece the oil filter mounts on...

RedBirdSC

I havent had a chance to look, but is it all one big assebly? or can I just replace part of it?

on my 90 35th i just got, someone had managed to bend it in where the gasket of the oil filter seals aganist. I just changed the oil in it and it leaks pretty bad now.(After i removed it i found they had siliconed it :)mad: )Like bad enough to nearly empty all my oil in a couple of seconds, luckily i noticed before anything bad happened.

Or would i be better jbwelding the bend and putting an oil filter relocation kit on it?

Justin

That piece is most likely the oil cooler, check the deal and see if you can get a new one. Make sure you get the rubber seal for it as well.

It is the oil cooler. It's shaped like a donut with two coolant pipes attached. You'll need a 1 1/16" deep socket to get it off. It's a messy job but it's not hard. The spindle that the filter screws on to has the big 1 1/16" nut at the base of it. That's all that holds it up. Then you have to pull off the coolant lines. You'll need to bleed the cooling system again when you're done. For future reference, that's what happens when you torque your oil filter too tight.

Actualy it looks like they were prying on the filter for some reason? they had the living hell tightend out of it(I've owned the car about 5 weeks, and just changed the oil for the first time)

I'm not used to sc's anymore lol, I work on my stang way too much now.

Thanks guys, anyone happen to know if i can order the part new or do i have to scrounge it from a junkyard or someone parting a car out?

(I could probably have waited for sunlight to check this for myself, I changed the oil in the dark after work though, I just took a real quick look at it with a flashlight after i saw the leak.)

Justin

Try the dealer and the local salvage yards. If all else fails just remove it, put connectors in the coolant lines and run a remote oil cooler.

I HAD A DENT IN MINE AND IT LOOKED TO HAVE BEEN CAUSED BUY THE FILTER SLAMING THE ENGINE CRADEL. THE DRIVERS SIDE MOTOR MOUNT WAS TOTALY BROKE AND WHEN I HIT THE GAS HARD IT WOULD LIFT THAT SIDE OF THE MOTOR AND SLAM IT DOWN WHEN I LET OFF. IT WOULD COME DOWN SO HARD IT WOULD SCREWUP THE BACK SIDE OF THE FILTER AND OVER TIME DENTED THE SEALING SURFACE OF THE COOLER.:eek:

RedBirdSC said:
Thanks guys, anyone happen to know if i can order the part new or do i have to scrounge it from a junkyard or someone parting a car out

Don't know what a new one costs but I've got a good used one from a '91 SC parts car. PM me in interested! or email kbjcda@msn.com:)

Keven.

Back