What size wrench for Crank Sensor?

LoneStarSC

I am trying to replace my crankshaft position sensor, but I can't figure out what size wrench I am supposed to be using on the sensor itself. Also, if anyone has any tips to make this easier they would be appreciated.

Please help as soon as possible as I only have about 5 more hours to finish this!!

Thanks

You will need a 5.5mm socket. If you have a 5.5mm combination wrench that would also help alot. When you install the new sensor you have to make sure that it is even spaced so that the crank ring doesn't hit the sensor. If you don't have the tool to space it, you can use the carton from a cereal box or from matches and place it on each side to give it the spaces. Hope this helps... :)

5.5mm

Yep, it's 5.5mm. Use a 6-pt. socket or nutdriver only. Don't waste your time with a 12-pt. socket. I stripped out a Bunch of 12-pt. 5.5mm sockets doing the crank sensor on Diddys car. Good Luck getting a 5.5mm socket on there. I ended up using a 5.5mm Sears nutdriver with vise-grips clamped on the handle for leaverage. That teeny-tiny bold had about a million pounds of TQ on it. Twisted the nutdriver shaft 90 degrees before the bolt broke free. Didn't rotate the nutdriver in the handle, actually twisted the shaft of the nutdriver!!!! :eek:

68COUGAR

Last edited:
Crank Sensor Plug Location

Hi Folks,

Where exactly is the plug and wire for this sensor supposed to come from?
I read many a post on checking this for intermittant running problems--acts like its running on four out of six, then like the snap of a finger, its alright again. Then its not, then it is.... Its not the AC Compressor, I already ruled that one out.
I can't find even a wire that leads away from the crank pulley area of my engine, could the car run with this way with this thing completely unplugged?
If I can't have an answer because I am not a member, please tell me its: "cuz you're not a member", so I can pay the $15 an d become a member and get help to get to the bottom of this, ok?
HELP HELP!

paul:confused:

there is a good post in the member section FAQ from XR7 Dave with pictures that could help you.

You should get under the car and track the wire. The wire runs up to a plug from the sensor that is just to the passenger side of the water pump.

If you have no crank sensor signal, the engine will die. A mis-fire is not consistant with a crank sensor problem. Though it could if the issue was very intermittant. By default the EEC just shuts everything down when it looses the crank signal.

Note that a 4 of 6 cylinder problem does sound ignition related. The coil pack is made up of 3 coils that are each responsible for 2 cylinders. The coil pack gets it's commands from the DIS module, which get's it's commands from the EEC-IV. You might search the forums on coil pack and mis-fire and see if there is more threads that might help you track things down. Using a trouble light to catch the misfiring cylinders would help.

Last edited:
Crank Sensor Pic

The right side of the pic is the Crank sensor.
The left side of the pic is the connector you're looking for.

detail

68COUGAR

Back