oil blowby and Superchargers.

Swade

Okay, I believe it's been established that installing coated rotors can add a significant advantage (up to 20hp?). To me this indicates that the clearences of the rotors and case is so tight that a even thin coating (what is that coating anyway?) can effect performance.

I have recently installed an oil seperator and am definatly catching quite a bit of oil that had been blowing into the intake. In fact I was shocked at how nasty my intake plenum was when I had the throttle body off, and could just imagine what the rotors looked like.

So my question is, what happens when that nasty gummy oil blowby collects on the rotors? How much of a negative could this cause?

it actually doesnt affect performance.. if anything it might increase it because it closes the clearances on the rotors and helps the sc be more effecient just how the coated rotors work. the teflon makes it more effecient... we discussed it before that oil in the SC might not affect pefromance as long as you dont drown it.. and that it will improve its efficiency because it closes the gaps... it all ends up on the lower ic tube anyway... it cant really climb up.... probably only vapors thats it...

I called an engineer at eaton and he told me that on the 94-95 sc's with the powdercoat on the rotors, that they are machined further to accomodate the coating. The case bore remains the same though.

There is a thread on the subject from awhile back http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52708&highlight=eaton+teflon.

The oil buildup doesn't affect performance as far as I know. It actually collects at the bottom of the intercooler, to a certain extent. After that I'm sure it circulates into the combustion chamber being burned off. When I took my supercharger off there was an oily residue on it but I couldn't actually SEE it, so it was of no significance to me. The car also only had about 50,000 miles on it with no egr. Some of the gtp M90's with egr are horribly crusted with residue from what I've seen. Maybe they are like that with sc's that have egr?

Darkstar, I'm not sure that the oil coating will have any effect on performance. Since oil is a fluid, the air will pass right through it. At the temperatures the blower reaches, it will certainly make the oil more viscous.

Last edited:
Back