Help! 90' console removel changing Heater Coil

Spider

i jsut got my 1990 SC today and im riping out the dash so i can change the heater coil.
i got a bunch of parts off and stearing wheel droped but i cant get the console off.
i got it off from the back of console but i can get it to come off at the end conecting to the dash where it connects right underneath the Stock CD player, it seems to be stuck or bolted down somewhere and i cant find anything... i been looking for about 20 mins and cant find anything.

the front panel i can pull the top half away from dash but it also seems to be stuck at the same point as the console. almost like the CD player is holding it in...

can anyone help me please :(

there are two bolts that you are missing right in front of the consol. Did you already take the a/c control unit out? I dont remember exactly HOW i found them, but there are two bolts holding it in.

good luck dude...it was a major pain in the ~~~ when i changed my heater core.

thank you for the fast reply ill check it out after work in about 4 hours. i dont think i took of that part you mentioned.
the car in your picture looks just like mine :) ill be getting mine painted black thoe in about 6 months :p

so far everything was running smooth untill i got stuck with not being able to get the console apart from the front panel :(

Last edited:
Remove...

Remove the ashtray and there are two bolts under there that hold the console to the floor. Also, there are two bolts that attach the console to the dash up front. I believe they are 8mm or 1/4"...I'm not positive...

Good Luck,

Don

ok i looked at it and i cant get to that AC thing since i cant even get the panel off. i did look in the ashtray and saw the 2 screws on each side but i can seem to get my magic screw driver in the right angle to remove them. i saw the screws but seemed imposible but mybee somehow there might be a way without breaking something :D

just a tip... if you have a hard time getting the nubs pushed through the rubber when putting the new core in, put a slit between the two holes in the rubber from in the engine bay and a small slit to the outside of each hole. No matter how i bent the nubs I could not get mine pushed through until i did this.

To get the console out, I think you have to remove the black console top first, which will uncover some other screws that connect up front.

And to get the heater controls out, just use some DIN tools to get it partway out, then snake your hand back behind it and undo the wiring connectors, then pull it out a little more and remove the vacuum lines (you have to pull the little nuts off first with pliers). Then turn it over and use pliers to get the wire out of the temp. lever (this might have a trick to it, as I recall). Viola.

I don't even know if you have to take the controls out - I never did a heater core.

Pop open the center console compartment and take out the 2 screws that anchor it to the console. That should give you plenty of room to reach the rest.

Ira

S_Mazza said:
To get the console out, I think you have to remove the black console top first, which will uncover some other screws that connect up front.

i was just coming back to post this. thats what i neded to do to get the console out and i couldnt figure out how to get those screws off under the ashtray. i had to do what you just posted :) thank you

oh and for anyone taking out the dash.

TAKE THE SEATS OUT

im taking out my dash right now "Trying" and i just cleaned my seats and im sliping and sliding everything and these monster seats are in the way and im getting arritated to the max!

no room take out the seats !

Back