Coil Pack Question

hytorksc

Is it possible for a coil pack to discharge spark erratically when heated up to normal engine operating temperature?

This is relative to my engine having a "hiccup" issue at warm idle. It acts as if the ignition cuts off/on for a split second, and it does it at random frequently- no codes generated, just a little unsettling.

thanks-

OK. From the situation you described, based on the many times the issue has come up, I'd say its more likely related to the crank sensor and/or harmonic balancer. 2nd is the DIS, 3rd fuel, and the coil pack is wayyy down on the list. :cool:

Coils are extremely simple devices and unless abused from impact or fire, they just rarely if ever fail.

Hope this helps.

Look at the coil pack for any visual signs of head damage (burnt marks etc). Also many Auto Parts stores can "bench test" the DIS modules now, so you could eliminate that as a possibility. Good luck.

I have a coil pack from a '91 that LOOKS good (no burnt marks, etc) and the engine ran when it was pulled, if you are interested PM me, I'd sell it cheap.

thanks guys,

i found out it's not the coil pack. it was actually my cam sensor out of adjustment. those things can make a huge difference in how your car idles and runs (fuel injector timing).

it still has a very small amount of bumpy idling, but it's no where near what it was (thankfully). since i have a '90 SC, i also found out that it runs better with the original maf for that car (the 55mm "black box" on top) rather than the 70mm box i had on it- still using a 73mm C&L maf core.

Back