1990 SC A/C Removal

Spider

ok there a great big giant AC on my motor and i would like to remove it.

can i remove it and get a shorter belt?
i was told i cant do this because of the alternator belt tensioner...

or do i have to get a pully replacement thingy to put on?
if so where can i find these since local shops cant get them and ford doesnt know anything about them.

i did a search on forums and didnt find anything for a 1990. i saw a post for a 1989 with this be the same thing as my 1990 SC ?

also is there anything special i need to know about taking out the A/C

im gonna be replacing the intake manifold gasket soon and i would like to get rid of the A/C when i do :)

You can use those threads because the engines are all the same. You re-route the belt over the alternator tensioner with a 55 or 56" belt. Try the search again. Search for "A/C Delete". You can also email me if you have questions. I'd be glad to help. -Jeremy

Or you can get the A/C delete pulley from Ryan Harris and then use the original lenght belt.

By the way I just deleted my A/C too. Now I can see the engine! :D

Jeremy_K said:
You can use those threads because the engines are all the same. You re-route the belt over the alternator tensioner with a 55 or 56" belt. Try the search again. Search for "A/C Delete". You can also email me if you have questions. I'd be glad to help. -Jeremy

wouldnt the tensioner but forceing the belt the wrong direction?

since the belt is normaly underneath being forced downwards, with belt on top will it put tension on it ?

Spider said:
wouldnt the tensioner but forceing the belt the wrong direction?

since the belt is normaly underneath being forced downwards, with belt on top will it put tension on it ?
There's a few ways to do it. That's why I had you check the old posts on it. That way you can pick which way is best for you.
Basically, Here's your options:
1. An A/C delete pulley from SCI and you will need some bracket from a Ford
Truck to mount it.
2. Use an idler pulley from an NA V6 Tbird or cougar which has no spring
tension in place of the alt tensioner. You just grind the alignment pins off
the back and hold tension on it while you tighten it.(my method)
3. Grind pins off back of stock tensioner and cut stop tab from the front
face of it so the tension will reverse.(sucks if your tensioner's worn)
4. Grind pins off back of stock tensioner and just put static tension on it so
there's no spring tension on it.(kinda similar to my method).

2,3, and 4 require the use of a 55 or 56" serpentine belt. All of the above methods have been used with success. It's up to you how you want to do it. You'll enjoy being able to see and work on the engine. To me it's a worthwhile tradeoff and I live in the hot desert. -Jeremy

Last edited:
ok 1 more question, normaly the belt going around the water put is covering about 50% of the pully wich gives it good grip.
if i reroute it the belt is only going to be going over about 10% of the pully.
is this going to be enough coverage?
i mean its hardly touching and i would think at a higher rev the belt wouldn't get the grip it normaly would and mybee just slip past it, not turn it like it normaly would and not have enough presure.
you know what i mean ?
i know alot of peopel have used this setup but i just wana make sure myself that everything is gonne be ok.
my car has 170k miles on it and i dont wanna ruin the water pump :eek: like i heard about stressing the watter pump or something liek that

Last edited:
Spider said:
ok 1 more question, normaly the belt going around the water put is covering about 50% of the pully wich gives it good grip.
if i reroute it the belt is only going to be going over about 10% of the pully.
is this going to be enough coverage?
i mean its hardly touching and i would think at a higher rev the belt wouldn't get the grip it normaly would and mybee just slip past it, not turn it like it normaly would and not have enough presure.
you know what i mean ?
i know alot of peopel have used this setup but i just wana make sure myself that everything is gonne be ok.
my car has 170k miles on it and i dont wanna ruin the water pump :eek: like i heard about stressing the watter pump or something liek that
The belt covers plenty enough to spin the water pump without slipping. My car runs very,very cool. You'll also be able to turn the low fan on whenever you want and the condenser will be gone.

Back