help me out, fuseable link?

brucki15

so my car was not starting, just the starter solenoid clicking (on the left fender) and jumping the solenoid was not working. before it came to this, the headlights would cut off while i was driving all the time. my system is also making a whining noise with the engine but i think that is a seperate problem but not sure.

soo i got a new alternator and a solenoid and still the same problem (just clicking) and its not the battery. so im guessing theres a fusible link because i cant think of anything else. where are they and how do i replace it?

thanks in advance

Well as far the problem with your lights cutting out while you drive, that is the light switch that is bad. You could call auto parts store and the dealer to see who has it in stock and what price.

If when you turn the switch over to start and it only makes a click, the problem is gonne be the starter that its getting stuck. Pep boys or auto zone should stock this one.... Hope this helps...
:)

SuperCoupe007 said:
Well as far the problem with your lights cutting out while you drive, that is the light switch that is bad. You could call auto parts store and the dealer to see who has it in stock and what price.

If when you turn the switch over to start and it only makes a click, the problem is gonne be the starter that its getting stuck. Pep boys or auto zone should stock this one.... Hope this helps...
:)
What he said.....
But here is a simple and easy way to fix any problem. Remove drivers seat. Replace car, reinstall drivers seat. Voila!

Also check the battery terminals for corrosion where the wires hook up. I took mine off after a similar situation and the cables were coated with junk underneath the terminals. I replaced them and the car started right up. There was enough juice getting through to make the accessories and lights work, but not enough to turn the starter.

Very simple check on the starter issue..........

Try and jump start the car. If it starts.....replace the battery. If it doesnt start......replace the starter.

ALWAYS CHECK YOUR GROUNDS FIRST!!!! More times than not, you have a bad ground causing your starting problems. I've seen ground cables corroded inside the cable insulation. Check where your ground strap from the engine to the frame on the pass. framerail connects. I sanded the paint down to bare metal and used new hardware to re-attach it. Also check your Neg. battery cable all the way down. Or just keep buying what other people tell you until you find out what it is:rolleyes: The starter relay is on the fender, the solenoid is built into the starter. There's a gray or turqouis small wire going from the relay on the fender to the alternator and is heat shrinked to the main alternator cable. That's the alternator fusible link. I found out mine was busted after buying 2 brand new alternators. When mine popped you couldn't tell by looking at it. The wire core broke inside the insulation but if you felt it you could tell it was broken (limp). I don't think the fuse link is the culprit in your case though but it's an easy check.

-Jeremy

Last edited:
Sounds like your starter to me, if the battery is strong enough to crank and the lights don't fade when you crank - I'd take the starter off and go to somewhere like Pepboys and they will test it for you. You could have done the same with the alternator before replacing it. As for the headlights - these cars are notorious for bad headlight or multi-switch (highbeam/indicator stalk) failures due to all the current going thru the stock wiring. You need to identify which switch is bad, replace it and then invest in a supplemental lighting harness (like the ones from Competition Lighting for +/-$50) which uses relays to reduce the current going thru the stock wiring.

Make sure you check the neg. battery cable where it bolts to the engine. They do get junky and can cause problems. The picture shows what mine looked like when I took the engine out.

Take Care
dbd

Attachments

• PICT0011-cable.JPG
    PICT0011-cable.JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 121
well im ganna go to junk yard for a starter cause i cannot afford more new stuff. thanks for the help and ill post what it was after tommoro

brucki15 said:
well im ganna go to junk yard for a starter cause i cannot afford more new stuff. thanks for the help and ill post what it was after tommoro

FIRST, have your battery checked. It could have enough power to make the solenoid "click" but not enough voltage to turn the engine over. SECOND check your ground cables, they are just as important as the positive cables. Assuming your battery and ground cables are good, then do the following:

When the solenoid "clicks" are you getting power to the starter? you need a test light. don't just throw parts at it or you will waste a lot of money.

There are 2 "big" terminals on the solenoid next to the battery. One of those terminals is the power supply from the battery (the positive cable from the battery connects there) That terminal should be "hot" all the time.

The other big terminal should get power to it when you turn the key to the "start" position. You know your ignition switch and neutral safety switch are ok because if they weren't the solenoid would not even click. So---put your test light on the big terminal that leads down to the starter, and have a buddy hit the key. When the solenoid clicks your test light should light. If it does not, then you either have a bad soloenoid OR you don't have enough battery voltage to engage it. If your test light does light up, then your solenoid is OK.

Now get underneath and do the same at the starter. Do you get power to the big terminal when your buddy hits the key? If not, then your problem is between the solenoid and the starter (check that cable). If you do get power there then you have a bad starter. (again assuming you verified that the battery is good and fully charged)

Last edited:
Back