Gasket Match Porting

68COUGAR

It seems like everybody who wants ported heads, talks about "Gasket Matching" them as if that's the BEST.

Here's my question, What makes anybody think that the guy who designed the gaskets, knows the optimal shape that the intake runner needs to be? Honestly, I don't think some CAD nerd knows anything about optimal flow design. I think he's just working from OEM gasket diamentions.

If you widen out the runner to match the gasket, only to narrow it back down, to clear soemthing else, you will loose velosity at the wide point. Possibly loose.enough velosity for the fuel to drop out of the air flow.

Just a thought. What thinks you guys?

68COUGAR

1) fuel is injected well after the gasket and aimed directly at the valve

2) general porting rules state that if there is to be a changing in the cross sectional area of the port it should be at the beginning of the port and angle like a funnel towards the valve, increasing velocity as you approach the valve

3) since the intake manifold port is a LOT smaller than than cylinder head port, you need something for reference to match the two

4) the gasket is not THAT much bigger than the port

5) you NEVER port match the exhaust port

yeh the step down in the exhaust is what reduces the back flow of exhaust gases.. here is a good article on porting heads; http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.shtm

image-apic238.jpg

Back