S-Model, S-Port, MP I?

68COUGAR

I've been around Supercoupes since '89 when I bought my XR-7. Back in '93 Ford talked about the S-Model blower for the '94 model yr. I've seen the different inlet shape of the S-Model. What is the S-PORT blower? Is that just another name for the S-Model, OR is it a name for a custom port job by Magnum Powers? Is the S-Port an MP I port job?

Just curious. I like to keep my terms correct.

68COUGAR

The S-Port blower is just a very mildly ported Gen II M90 aka "Standard Ported M90." The S-Model blower is the actual whole new GenII M90 from Magnusen that is equipped with a Standard Port job.

The MPI is a max ported 94/95 blower made to match the inlet size of the MP inlet along with the opened up outlet.

Blower Line Up

CMac89 said:
The S-Port blower is just a very mildly ported Gen II M90 aka "Standard Ported M90." The S-Model blower is the actual whole new GenII M90 from Magnusen that is equipped with a Standard Port job.

The MPI is a max ported 94/95 blower made to match the inlet size of the MP inlet along with the opened up outlet.
Not sure what you mean by a standard port job? It it came from the factory, it's OEM, not ported.

So if I'm reading this correctly the blower line up goes like this:

Gen I: '89 - '93 OEM oval inlet
Gen II: ' 94 - '95 OEM S-Model, rectangular inlet
Gen II:, '94 - '95 S-Port. Actual S-Model, ported by some company or person.
MP I: Max ported S-Model by Magnum Powers
MP II: Any M90 with new MP rear plate & MP II inlet plenum.
MP III: Any M90 with new MP rear plate & MP III inlet plenum.

Did the MP I work with the OEM '94 - '95 inlet plenum? OR did MP port the '94 - '95 OEM inlet plenum? OR did the MP I only work with the MP Inlet plenum?

68COUGAR

Last edited:
89-93 is Gen 1

94/95 is Gen 2

S-Port is a Magnusen product. Magnusen is the official authorized Eaton aftermarket distributor. Want to buy a new Eaton from someone other than Ford? Gotta go through Magnusen. Magnusen takes a new Gen 2 case, applies standard porting procedures to it, installs new specially coated rotors and an 89 size pulley and sells it as the "S-Port".

Magnum Powers, on the other hand does not manufacture superchargers and does not offer for sale any new superchargers for the SC. MP takes your supercharger and rebuilds it and ports the case.

An MPI, MPII and MPIII are all MP products and have nothing to do with Eaton or Magnusen other than the use of the M90 as a core. Depending on what model you want (MPI or MPIII) determines what is required for a core. The MPII is no longer offered and the MP porting procedure is different from the "S-Port" design.

I know of no comparison testing that shows the difference in performance of all the different M90 configurations.

68COUGAR said:
Did the MP I work with the OEM '94 - '95 inlet plenum? OR did MP port the '94 - '95 OEM inlet plenum? OR did the MP I only work with the MP Inlet plenum?

68COUGAR

The MP Inlet Plenum for the MP I / MP II / S-Port / Gen II has been d/ced.

Magnum Powers, on the other hand does not manufacture superchargers and does not offer for sale any new superchargers for the SC. MP takes your supercharger and rebuilds it and ports the case.

The MP I is a Magnum powers ported 94-95 Blower. It is ported much more then the standard "S" port blower sold by Magnusen which is a mildly ported 94-95 blower.

The MPII used to be a 89-93 Gen I case that was cut in the rear with a new back welded on with a port shape similiar to a modified Gen II case. MP then made a whole NEW SC case with that same MPII port built in. Better then both the S port and MPI and old MPII port. In all Cases MP reuses your old rotor pack however supplies all new bearings and seals not related to the rotor pack. In reality none of them are new blowers beingthey reuse teh rotor packs. I do believe MP offers a warranty however.

The MPIII is a highly much like the older MPII being it uses a factory case that is cut off at the inlet with a new peice epoxied on. This blower reuses the old rotor pack with all else having new seals and bearings. Thsi is teh newest MP offering and is suppossed to outperform the MP I II and S port.

The standard MP Inlet will fit an MPI, MPIII S port or stock 94-95 blower. The MPIII uses its own dedicated inlet.

MP then made a whole NEW SC case with that same MPII port built in. Better then both the S port and MPI and old MPII port.

Damon,

I don't think so...as recently as a couple months ago MP was still reworking an early model case and epoxy/bolting a new castings onto the back of it to make an MPII.

The reason the MPII and MP inlet plenum are no longer avalible is because their casting patterns were changed and used to make the MPIII end casting and MPIII plenum.

As far as I know, the only new case MP made was for their M112 Lightning blower.

David

Hey, that was mine

David Neibert said:
Damon,

I don't think so...as recently as a couple months ago MP was still reworking an early model case and epoxy/bolting a new castings onto the back of it to make an MPII. David
Dave, that was my blower that MP rebuilt into an MP II. After mine, there was One more MP II rear plate.

I went with the MP II because I already had the old MP Inlet plenum. I never plan on going as fast as you did with your 20% MP II, so I figured it was enough blower for me, AND I saved $600.

68COUGAR

Dave,

I may be mistaken then. I thought MP had discontinued the use of the back plate on the MPII and had made a whole new case for awhile. I apologize if my information is incorrect. Regardless that is the basic transition of blowers.

Damon

XR7 Dave said:
89-93 is Gen 1

94/95 is Gen 2

S-Port is a Magnusen product. Magnusen is the official authorized Eaton aftermarket distributor. Want to buy a new Eaton from someone other than Ford? Gotta go through Magnusen. Magnusen takes a new Gen 2 case, applies standard porting procedures to it, installs new specially coated rotors and an 89 size pulley and sells it as the "S-Port".

An MPI, MPII and MPIII are all MP products and have nothing to do with Eaton or Magnusen other than the use of the M90 as a core. Depending on what model you want (MPI or MPIII) determines what is required for a core. The MPII is no longer offered and the MP porting procedure is different from the "S-Port" design.

I know of no comparison testing that shows the difference in performance of all the different M90 configurations.

Is a 94/95 blower a GenII? So if an S-Port is a 94/95 blower with a port job. Whats the differance in rotors. The 94/95 have coated rotors already. If I port my own blower and throw on a 89 pulley, is it an s-port? Just trying to learn and make the right decision. I want an S-port for now. Thanks

Back