different ignition module for a thunderbird sc???

93thunderbird

i went to 3 diffrent parts stores and the only one who asked me if it was a "manual" or "auto" was advanced autos (does it matter what dis mod u get?) i have a 5 spd but none of the other store had the option...

I'm not sure about this application,but baxters does that all the time no matter what I ask for.They also ask if the sc is a 6 or 8 ,I did'nt know they came in an 8:D .

93thunderbird said:
i went to 3 diffrent parts stores and the only one who asked me if it was a "manual" or "auto" was advanced autos (does it matter what dis mod u get?) i have a 5 spd but none of the other store had the option...

The way the electronic cataloging works , they guy behind the counter has to answer that question before any part numbers are displayed. So it may or may not matter but the point is he's gotta tell it something. So might as well give the computer the right information. I've been in auto parts for over 22 years (Napa) and in the old days of printed paper catalogs, I could see if it listed the same part number for both and if so wouldn't bother to ask the question. But with electronic cataloging I can't see both choices at once to see if they are the same or not. So when there's a line of customers and the phone is ringing off the hook, I ask all the questions even if I suspect it doesn't matter - - way faster than checking both choices plus if there are differences the customer usually likes to get the right part the first time:)

Another thing to consider -- although YOU may know what interchanges and what doesn't, the guy behind that counter (even the qualified, experienced ones) don't know every detail of every car so if they ask you a question just answer it rather than go into a long explanation of why it doesn't matter. If they ask then they are probably at least trying to get it right the first time so you don't have to come back with the wrong part. There is nothing more frustrating than having a customer tell me "it don't make any difference" when I've clearly got 2 choices of parts and if he'd just answer the questions I ask, I could sell him the right thing!.....but since he assures me it don't matter I'm forced to just 'guess', and then when he comes back 2 hours later with the wrong part it's MY fault........

Find a good locally owned parts store (not a huge chain like autozone- most NAPA stores are locally owed businesses) and a parts guy (or gal) you like dealing with, and pretty soon he'll know your car as well as you do. I've got lots of customers that I know by their first name and what kinda car they drive and since I've dealt with them for a long time I don't have to ask them every detail about their car every time they come in.

Was that a long-winded enough answer? :D

Last edited:
Kevenj90sc,

As another SC'er in the parts aftermarket (Carquest) Well said!:cool: If only the regular enthusiast realized how difficult our business is. Especially if you get a 'It doesn't matter' person. Personally, I stick with the paper cataloging when ever I can and the paper catalog is good, but sometimes the computer is the only choice, esp with the newest stuff, or the paper catalog is poorly arranged.

We are also a PPG dealer and nothing get me going like a person who walks in and wants 'black' or whatever for a given vehicle, when there are at least 4 choices. And then they get offended when you ask for a paint code... We are just trying to help...

Charles
"The wrong information gets you the wrong parts everytime!"

kevenj90sc said:
The way the electronic cataloging works , they guy behind the counter has to answer that question before any part numbers are displayed. So it may or may not matter but the point is he's gotta tell it something. So might as well give the computer the right information. I've been in auto parts for over 22 years (Napa) and in the old days of printed paper catalogs, I could see if it listed the same part number for both and if so wouldn't bother to ask the question. But with electronic cataloging I can't see both choices at once to see if they are the same or not. So when there's a line of customers and the phone is ringing off the hook, I ask all the questions even if I suspect it doesn't matter - - way faster than checking both choices plus if there are differences the customer usually likes to get the right part the first time:)

Another thing to consider -- although YOU may know what interchanges and what doesn't, the guy behind that counter (even the qualified, experienced ones) don't know every detail of every car so if they ask you a question just answer it rather than go into a long explanation of why it doesn't matter. If they ask then they are probably at least trying to get it right the first time so you don't have to come back with the wrong part. There is nothing more frustrating than having a customer tell me "it don't make any difference" when I've clearly got 2 choices of parts and if he'd just answer the questions I ask, I could sell him the right thing!.....but since he assures me it don't matter I'm forced to just 'guess', and then when he comes back 2 hours later with the wrong part it's MY fault........

Find a good locally owned parts store (not a huge chain like autozone- most NAPA stores are locally owed businesses) and a parts guy (or gal) you like dealing with, and pretty soon he'll know your car as well as you do. I've got lots of customers that I know by their first name and what kinda car they drive and since I've dealt with them for a long time I don't have to ask them every detail about their car every time they come in.

Was that a long-winded enough answer? :D

Charles Markman said:
Kevenj90sc,

As another SC'er in the parts aftermarket (Carquest) Well said!:cool: If only the regular enthusiast realized how difficult our business is. Especially if you get a 'It doesn't matter' person. Personally, I stick with the paper cataloging when ever I can and the paper catalog is good, but sometimes the computer is the only choice, esp with the newest stuff, or the paper catalog is poorly arranged.

We are also a PPG dealer and nothing get me going like a person who walks in and wants 'black' or whatever for a given vehicle, when there are at least 4 choices. And then they get offended when you ask for a paint code... We are just trying to help...

Charles
"The wrong information gets you the wrong parts everytime!"
I work at Advance and get this ALL THE TIME! Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it is not.

Charles Markman said:
Especially if you get a 'It doesn't matter' person.

Funny part is, it takes a lot longer to say "It doesn't matter" than to just answer the damn question!

I'm with you, I learned with paper catalogs and prefer them, but the reality is I work in a store that does $200,000 a month with 4 people on the counter - - the sheer volume we do forces me to use the computer because it's faster for MOST things.....if it's not in the computer or if it's not clear then I grab the book.

Back in my younger days when someone would tell me "it doesn't matter" I would just go get SOMETHING off the shelf. Then when it was wrong I'd tell the guy "well it doesn't matter, you said so yourself!"....... I've learned to be more tactful in my old age though.............

We do about $150k with three guys, so I know what you mean...

A favorite of mine is when they won't tell what the battery is supposed to fit, and they say, "They are all the same". I'll go back and grab a motorcycle/atv batt.
But if I'm really ambitious, I'll grab a delivery driver and go back and throw a 4D30 on the counter. For those who don't know, that sucker is farm tractor/ heavy truck batt that is prob 20" long 10" tall and 10" wide, and weighs about 100lb. "But they are all the same!" Put that sucker in your Cavalier...

Sorry it was a rough day...

For one part, for me the computer is as fast as the books, but for something like a tune up, the computer is significantly faster...

Charles

The problem that I run into more than that (I do answer the questions ;) ) is when the parts clerk is saying, "This is the only part that it is showing," when it is clearly not the part(s) for the SC. I've run into that a couple times now trying to get something for the SC. I've learned to look very closely at the parts that I've got and getting. And then I make sure they have the correct vehicle in the computer.

I'm sure it goes the "it doesn't matter" way a lot more often that what I encounter...but I'm just the customer too...

While I cannot speak for 'kevenj90sc', but I'm sure he will agree that the catalogs, both paper and electronic, are set up for mainstream vehicles. Full size pickups, Luminas and rental car Taurus'. The total SC production is just about 70,000 total, over all the years, and including XR7's. That is about one month's production of one model year of one brand of pickup (they are well over one million trucks a year). Think about that when you request parts.

Many parts stores will never have anybody even request parts for an SC, never mind buy them. So there is not much incentive for the manufacturer to have proper info in the catalogs for a part they will never sell. The Ford dealers do have way better info, but even they are not perfect.

If you are looking for more 'normal' parts suspension/brakes etc. you'll be fine. But for the engine stuff be aware!

So, if you ask for a parts and it does not seem right, speak up.

Also, a box of donuts ;) will make sure that the parts people will rememeber everything you own. ;)

When in doubt, contact one of us aftermarket guys, or Fast Ed, and we will steer you in the correct direction...

Charles

Back