PDA

View Full Version : For all you SRT-4 lovers out there.

Thunder427
12-10-2005, 10:27 AM
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=F2A39716-76DF-42E1-83C9-098C3C85CC05&p=0

:D

i know its not really like a huge deal, but i just find it funny.

CaifanSC
12-10-2005, 12:53 PM
OWNAGE! Cool vid

thekidz
12-10-2005, 01:02 PM
once a neon always a neon

Craig

CMac89
12-10-2005, 01:32 PM
http://media.putfile.com/C6-Z06-vs-03-Cobra

Soooooooo Owned......

Jacob_Royer
12-10-2005, 03:19 PM
that almost makes me want a chevy :)

kevenj90sc
12-10-2005, 04:54 PM
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=F2A39716-76DF-42E1-83C9-098C3C85CC05&p=0

i know its not really like a huge deal, but i just find it funny.

Just don't try that with an "SRT-8" because the results will be quite the opposite!

Robert Kohlman
12-10-2005, 06:02 PM
The second race was much closer. Did you notice the speedo was at 150 at the end of the second run!!! For the price difference of a Mustang Cobra -vs- a Z06 it should out run it stock for stock. Just like a stock Cobra beats a stock Neon SRT-4.

darkstar_one
12-10-2005, 08:30 PM
damn that was bad as.... about the SRT-8 i think it would be about the same with the cobra because SRT-8s are heavy... anyone? but other then that that video is dope

Brooks86
12-10-2005, 10:31 PM
The second race was much closer. Did you notice the speedo was at 150 at the end of the second run!!! For the price difference of a Mustang Cobra -vs- a Z06 it should out run it stock for stock. Just like a stock Cobra beats a stock Neon SRT-4.

Haha if you could even call that closer...I have to agree with the price difference factor. The SRT-4, Cobra, and Z06 are all some of the best performance buys for the money, so it makes sense that the car that costs more goes faster...think how many "performance" cars out there can't say that...

Thunder427
12-10-2005, 11:11 PM
"dont try that with an SRT-8"

too bad the SRT-8 cars are 4300 pnd pigs.

i would take one, but think about it ... they run a tad slower than a STOCK 03 cobra..

think about what youre saying ;)

DirtySouthBird
12-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Hey Thunder where you from? I know who the guy in the cobra is.. They from RGV, TX.. I've seen them all the time on Thurs. nghts haning out.. By buddy Jet " predator03 is the fastest one.. He drives that sick ~~~ 04' kenne bell blown cobra.. he came out in a vid taking out a viper.. stock block, heads, and cams.. pushing 800 hp.. Guess what my friend w/ the cobra never knew about SC's funny huh..

1FASTSC
12-11-2005, 01:11 AM
I'm actually impressed with both cars.....

91supacoop
12-11-2005, 01:52 AM
i clikc on the link to the putfile vid......the page displays, but nothing streams, any ideas anyone?

Thunder427
12-11-2005, 03:17 AM
i dunno browsers get tricky with that..

make sure you have all the right plug ins if you are using firefox.

My favorite part is when the SRT-4 trys to do a typical sport compact favorite... THE FLY BY. and the cobra just catches him and flys by as it says no fly by zone haha.

yeah the SRT-4 is quick... but i bet the cobra guy probably spent the same amount of money as the SRT dork did.

1FASTSC
12-11-2005, 05:27 AM
My favorite part is when the SRT-4 trys to do a typical sport compact favorite... THE FLY BY. and the cobra just catches him and flys by as it says no fly by zone haha.

He didn't. Go look at the video again, the Cobra pulled him and let off real early. Alot earlier then the other runs, so the guy probably didn't notice. I don't think I would have noticed. Cobra's are sick machines and if I read that video quickly enough didn't have have basic bolt ons, ported eaton and a pulley? Probably over 450 at the wheels. Impressive that the neon kept up that well.

Thunder427
12-11-2005, 07:20 AM
kept up ?

did you just say kept up ?

dude.. the mustang wasnt even walking the guy... he was like RUNNING. haha

taking off so fast away from him.

I wonder if you can get a 03 Cobra for as low as 15K yet ?

1FASTSC
12-11-2005, 09:05 AM
kept up ?

did you just say kept up ?

dude.. the mustang wasnt even walking the guy... he was like RUNNING. haha

taking off so fast away from him.

I wonder if you can get a 03 Cobra for as low as 15K yet ?

Yeah, I said kept up. We're talking about a blown cobra vs a turbo neon. The cobra is going to be able to pull a lot faster then that laggy ~~~ 50 trim is going to spool. A couple of the races he was keeping up decent, but the cobra was the one honking on all of them, and his honking was sporatic to say the least. What the cobra was doing (which was smart) was keeping the neon from brake boosting, which would have made the races a little closer. I'm not saying that the neon would win, I'm just saying that you have the more powerful car honking? Kinda backwards if you ask me.

kevenj90sc
12-11-2005, 02:32 PM
too bad the SRT-8 cars are 4300 pnd pigs.

4300 lbs, yes..... Pigs?.... Hardly. check this out and tell me this STOCK car is a pig. Pretty impressive for a 370 inch pushrod motor, naturally aspirated, with 3.06 gears....

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/srt-8-general-discussion/12711-video-12-64-109-mph-stock-srt-8-a.html

1FASTSC
12-11-2005, 03:52 PM
I want to see that slip because just from the trap speed vs the ET something sounds fishy....and I think it's upgraded tires.

kevenj90sc
12-11-2005, 05:31 PM
I want to see that slip because just from the trap speed vs the ET something sounds fishy....and I think it's upgraded tires.

well if you watch the second video clip where he shows the exhaust and airbox, at the end there's a time slip for 12.56 @ 111 - - I couldn't find the link to that video but these cars are running mid to high 12's stock.

The SRT8 comes from the factory with Goodyear F1 supercar tires. No need to upgrade. This car (and the "lesser" 300C) are what the SC was in it's day: Fast, comfortable, and way underrated.

Thunder427
12-11-2005, 11:27 PM
yeah 4300 pnds curb weight is a pig.

thats heavy as hell

might as well drive a van or something.

id so much rather have a 3750 pnd GTO with 400 hp base from the factory, than a 40K 4300 pnd 420 hp car.

even if the SRT was brake boosting you are not going to notice on video a significant difference if the distance and time was measured.. then maybe.

maybe people should get turbos with smaller area ratios and actually look at compressor maps to match the trim with their displacement then, to have less lag. gay excuses. I dont understand the point of street racing sometimes.. excuses, excuses, i could have done this if i did this blah blah.

oh well.

1FASTSC
12-12-2005, 03:18 AM
The driver isn't making excuses, I'm offering an explination. You need to stop reading so much into what I'm saying. I'm just saying that the honks are quick and wierd, and that brake boosting would lessen the severity.

XR7inWI
12-12-2005, 07:29 AM
Lessen the severity??? who cares? As bad as he was gettin his butt WHOOPED he wouldn't have a snowballs chance no matter WHAT he did or WHO honked to start the race. Point is... he LOST, and not by just a little bit, he lost by a LOT... SEVERAL TIMES. Winning is winning and losing is losing... that SRT LOST, plain and simple. No amount of excuses can change that.

What I can't figure out is why the dork in the neon even tried more than once.:rolleyes: He must be big on getting publicly humiliated. If that were me, I definately would have declined a second go at that one. When you're outclassed and outpowered it is just best to admit it and let it go at that.

Tracy

Thunder427
12-12-2005, 09:38 AM
thats one of the number one excuses though. is about brake boosting.

same thing with the Trans Am vs the Supra.. my friend joe is like .. ooh the supra is trying to brake boost thats why he lost.. THEN WHAT THE ~~~~ IS THE POINT ???????????????????? i mean i hope you have insane boost, if you are going to BRAKE, to spool up.. because you also have to have the power to make up the ground you lose by braking. Ive been in a few WRX's with the driver trying to do it. doesnt compensate, sorry.

like i said. maybe if people learned how to read compressor maps, they wouldnt have so much lag.

im not reading into it to much, im just saying what is the point of racing.

thats why highway racing with the beeping is queer..

your beeping too faaaaasttt waaaahhh :cool:

CMac89
12-12-2005, 11:26 AM
In conclusion, brake boosting or not the cobra would have walked the SRT-4 like crazy and there's no way he wouldn't catch him regardless of the two scenarios.

If the SRT-4 left on the first honk and the Cobra left on the 4th honk then the Cobra would still pass him fairly quickly.

mannysc
12-12-2005, 11:48 AM
yeah 4300 pnds curb weight is a pig.

thats heavy as hell

might as well drive a van or something.

id so much rather have a 3750 pnd GTO with 400 hp base from the factory, than a 40K 4300 pnd 420 hp car.

even if the SRT was brake boosting you are not going to notice on video a significant difference if the distance and time was measured.. then maybe.

maybe people should get turbos with smaller area ratios and actually look at compressor maps to match the trim with their displacement then, to have less lag. gay excuses. I dont understand the point of street racing sometimes.. excuses, excuses, i could have done this if i did this blah blah.

oh well.
the srt8 8 the gto its faster sorry ive driven a srt8 and wow its a tenth faster than the gto it beat the gto in two magazine test .

as for the srt4 ive beatn one when they first came out it was impressive but not good enough to take out my sc a stocker it would eat for breakfast though.

Thunder427
12-12-2005, 11:59 AM
dont start magazine racing here ;)

I still stand by a car that offers 400 hp BASE. Identical engine to the C6.

you have to pay like 42K plus to get the 420 hp SRT8's. Stupid.

I feel bad more people dont stand by the GTO. It is an awesome car.

hell you can get an 04' now for like low 20s

doesnt have that stupid hemi crap talking it up either.

hemi hemi hemi blah blah blah. anyone who has seen these knows its actually less of a hemi, and more of a poly ;) if you know mopar.

mannysc
12-12-2005, 12:23 PM
actually i do know my dodges having owned and worked on them all .
from hemis to late hemis to a few poly 318s to the la engines Ive even owned a few 440-6s the new hemi is really more of a crescent than a hemi but more of a hemi than its late hemi brother well distant cousin, the early hemis were just that real hemis the second " late hemi was a compromise engine a true hemi would not fit into the frame rails of the dodges so they tilted the heads to wards the intake side thus not a true hemi the after market made hemi heads that were true hemis that were used in top fule and funny cars but they would not work on street .

the new hemi is a great engine it makes the same power as its 426 name sake but with less cubes and less compression lower octane fuel.

the Chevy s engine is OK i don't like Chevy's and yes Ive had a few ls6 chevelles in my day and a 67 ss 396 camaro that i got to do 12s back in high school . I just don't like Chevy's or Pontiac's Ive had 455 super duty's ala a 1974 super duty trans am which i put a 454 ls7 in as replacement better engine .

Ive owned a few ford too its not the price its who wins just like back in the days of hemis ls6 chevelles and 340 darts amx s boss mustangs cj etc ,

its not the price but who's in front at the end of the track.

+ gto is even uglier than the new charger if you can believe it they both suck.
if were gonna settle than id settle for a mustang at least it would look cool.

just my opinion

1FASTSC
12-12-2005, 01:30 PM
I didn't EVER say that the SRT-4 would have won, I'm just saying that it wouldn't have been as bad. That cobra was a mid 11 second car on slicks, he took the SRT-4 by about 3 lengths in one of the vids....that's probably a mid 12 second neon.

To go back to what I originally stated, I'm impressed by both cars.

Thunder427
12-12-2005, 10:35 PM
The GTO is subtle. just as it was when it came out.

nothing more than a tempest le mans with a 389.

and it can perform alot better than a charger. ( the new GTO )

hell i just saw an 05' for 23K.

SK_BlownThunder
12-13-2005, 01:46 AM
I beat a SRT-4 in an 1/8 mile a couple times with my stock 1990 5-speed SC. Only thing is, the driver was a first-timer that had no idea what she was in for. Once her boy friend got behind the wheel, I started racing Nissan ZXs, and then to Grand Nationals, where I could finally catch up with the competition.

But anyways, back to the dreaming of a 11 second SC again.

mannysc
12-13-2005, 02:53 AM
my only beef with the gto is it should have been more retro like the mustang can you imagine a retro gto that would be bad a$$ a judge or some thing like it

Thunder427
12-13-2005, 03:25 AM
yeah but now it matches its name of Gran Turismo Omalagato better.

Matches the Ferrari GTO just a tad more than the 64 goat did. ;)

i understand retro, and I like it. but I like that GM just went "forward". The Holden has been succesful for years.

see this is the goofy thing, like look at a 2004 mustang, then at a 2005.

it doesnt seem like progressive.. like going from an 04, to what the 05 looks like is weird.. i guess its just kind of a re-birth or a revolution. same way the new camaro will look to the 2002 camaro. So if the Zeta platform kept on... ( not sure of the news on that ) the GTO is supposed to have a retro make over by 2007.. the only problem is, this will make 04-06 look weird.

but then they will be dirt cheap... and the best part is with all of this "retro muscle" the GTO will be true to its roots. just a simple looking car with alot of power.

by 2007 we will PROBABLY see an LS7 GTO. No doubt.

they dont have the rights to the name Judge anymore, but the LS7, would be equivalant to a would be judge, whatever they call it.

We were talking this for like 2 years now on newagegto.com,

I decided on GTO Veloce pronounced ( VeLochii ). italian word for speed.

Smutty
12-14-2005, 02:15 AM
I pulled the shift knob off my friends SRT-4 the first time I drove it. Power windows in the front and manual in the back..... still a neon.

Stewie
12-14-2005, 06:28 PM
FYI, GTO starts about 32500, CHARGER SRT-8 is 35,995, Giv eme the Charger ANYDAY. It is considerable quicker, pulls harder on the skidpad, brakes better, comes with features not even avail on the SHO, pulls a higher speed through the slalom, seats 5 in total comfort and looks 10 times better. here is a pic i took yesterday.

http://www.dodgertclub.org/Pics/12-13-05/chargersrt86.jpg yeah, just hideous.......

Thunder427
12-14-2005, 10:37 PM
haha considerably faster ? :rolleyes: if anything you read a magazine review where some guy ran it a .10 faster or something, even though thats all about the driver.

35K is the BASE price. ALL GTO's come fully loaded and the LS2 is BASE. You have no choice, you are getting 400 hp whether you like it or not.

and like i said you can get crazy deals on a GTO anyways.

its lighter, has better drag coefficient, the only problem people have with it is " Waaaah they didnt make it retroooo :( "

who cares, at least someone is moving forward and doesnt have to cling onto old designs to sell cars.

chances are chrysler will mess up the challenger too, and put a big goofy grill on the front to be like all of their cars and new hemi cars. I hope they dont, but they will.

Stewie
12-14-2005, 11:10 PM
35995 is the base price for the SRT-8, ONLY comes with the 425 HP (mor like 450+ in reality) HP 6.1 V8, comes with everything the GTO plus more 20 inch rims vs 17s (18s are an OPTION on the GTO), stability control (standard on the SRT-8, not even available on the GTO), standard 5 speed automatic As for considerably faster, YES. the Charger SRT-8s are averaging 12.8-12.9 with dips into the 12.5 range, the GTos are low/mid 13s (6 speeds) with a few dips into the 12.9 range. i love GTOs, was once deadset on one, but to even match the the Standard SRT-8 levels, well, you just can't in a GTO without the aftermarket, and some things you cannot match at all.... not to mention the SRT-8 outhandles, outbrakes, outlooks, and outclasses the GTO. i am sorry, i loved the SRT-8 after it came out, and after seeing the SRT-8 in person, the pictures do not even BEGIN to do it justice. As an interesting note, it's as quick, outhandles, outbrakes, is the same size and weight asthe 469 HP SUPERCHARGED NORTHSTAR STS-V. that costs DOUBLE the price!!!!!

darkstar_one
12-14-2005, 11:14 PM
all chryslers are ugly. the 300c is the poor mans bentley. the hemi thing has lost its pizaaz... The charger is a 300c with bigger windows and a smaller front grill. I would buy a GTO in a heart beat. those 300Cs and CHargers are burnt out around here.

Stewie
12-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Around here you actually see more GTOs than Chargers and that was the first SRT-8 I had seen. Honestly, if you had an even halfway open mind and had seen the actually SRT-8, you would not be saying that. And i hate the idea of the "Hemi being burnt out" i guess since the 4.6 DOHC SC is going into the Adreneline the 03-04 Cobras are burnt out and the 4.6 3 valve in the Explorer the 05= GTs are worn out too? lots not even mention everything the LS2 is available in now, well lets.... the GTO, the Vette, The CTS-V, and the Trailblazer SS. Seriously that's nearly as many models as carries the Hemis (300, Ram, GC, Charger, Magnum). If a Company only makes a motor for one car it really is not affordable for the general public (L7 Vette, V-10 Viper and the 5.4 twin screw SCed GT (the motor in the upcoming GT500 is diffeent with less exotic poiling, a roots SC, and more, basically a cheapened down motor). this gets actual people with real jobs the chance to get these cars.

darkstar_one
12-14-2005, 11:47 PM
so ur making a big deal about this, why? POINTLESS... I SAY... maybe you should be praising the SRT-8 on their boards and not on a board were your gonna get an argument. :D

dont wanna fight at the moment ;)

4.6L DOHC V8

and the 5.7L V8 are the ~~~~. Who needs a hemi? Not me!

Stewie
12-15-2005, 01:19 AM
Mainly because your argument is wrong, as a motor the hemi eats the 4.6 DOHC and old 5.7s alive. hell, i loved my 350 S-10s, but I am not stupid enough to think the old 350 is on par with a modern pushrod, As for the LS1, if the hemi sucks, so does it, same power, almost identical displacement, and a very similar design. you are just being closed minded and ignorant, no offense, well maybe, if you don't like Mopars, fine, but to say they "suck and their engines suck" is an argument with 100% no merit.

darkstar_one
12-15-2005, 01:21 AM
(Name calling REMOVED by Admin - George Davenport)

Stewie
12-15-2005, 01:23 AM
Explain "burnt out" to me. because they are offered on more than 1 car? So is the LS2, the LS6, the LS1, i am just not understanding it......

darkstar_one
12-15-2005, 01:36 AM
no wait, lets go back to the part were i said their technologies suck. come on. bring it up! :confused:

listen to what you are saying!

i am unsubscribing from this thread because it was suppose to be about the cobra burning the SRT-4 but it seems we always get sidetracked!

XR7inWI
12-15-2005, 01:45 AM
Now, now, boys .. can't we all just get along? Darkstar_one... I hope you don't kiss your mother with that mouth. :D :rolleyes:

We all have our OPPINIONS on what is the "best" car or engine. why not have an intelligent conversation/debate on why one may be better than the other? No need to get rude start with the name calling already. We are all much bigger than that (I thought). :rolleyes:

And just to throw in my $.02... I would take the SRT8 over a Goat or Stang any day. Unless it were between the SRT8 and the '06 GT500.... then I would look more at price and really have to decide if the GT500 were worth it. I like the looks of both the Charger and Stangs but the GTO is just not my "cup o' tea".... I think they are rather ugly to tell you the truth.

Tracy

Stewie
12-15-2005, 01:57 AM
Okay, just one more question, what do you mean by burnt out? i mean, i jjust don't understand....

Anyways, on the video, what i expected, a car that somes with 390 HP stock, vs a 235 HP one, with roughly the same mods, um Durrrrr............. i would take the Cobra anyday, but for the money, the SRT-4 is (was) hard to beat.

Thunder427
12-15-2005, 04:42 AM
for the money ?

you can get a 03 cobra for very low 20s now, if not less. Just like I said, the SRT-4 guy and the Cobra guy probably spent $ for $ around the SAME.

just one has a hell of alot more potential.

05 GTO's only capable of 13s ? man you have been magazine racing WAY too much.

I like the new "scat pack" but if you think the GTO is ugly and you think the Charger is alot nicer looking, you have some serious beer goggles on.

you guys probably think the Viper is alot better than the Ford GT too huh

The GTO is just a better car in my opinion alot better bang for the buck compared to the new hemi cars, and they are alot more rare. (Edit by admin) If it wasnt for people with the wrong idea of the GTO, we will probably see an LS7 put in it. I would love to see how amazing an SRT-8 is then. big goofy 4300 pnd pigs, same weight as a damn 66' charger.

lets just make everything retro and go back in time. instead of making cars have better drag coefficiencies, lets make them actually be new and not on an older succesful design.

to me its like a cover band not good enough to write their own lyrics or their own songs. hmmm hey guys remember this hit song ? then of course everyone cheers. same thing bringing this retro crap back. everyone wants everything to look like the older model that defined muscle cars because their dumb and close minded. Ford GT works, timeless aerodynamic design.

although stuff like the new mustang looks good, its not innovative thats for damn sure. so just think of that when you say the new GTO looks "ugly".

XR7inWI
12-15-2005, 05:07 AM
Is name calling REALLY necessary here? I thought we were ADULTS. This isn't junior high. Besides, there really is NO reason to get so wound up over what someone else's OPPINION is. If we all liked the same thing and all wanted the same car... there would BE only ONE model of car available.

Lighten up already. :rolleyes:

Tracy

gldiii
12-15-2005, 07:40 AM
Guys/gals keep within the rules or DON'T POST here.

RULES: http://sccoa.com/forums/faq.php?faq=sccoa_faq#faq_rules_faq

kevenj90sc
12-15-2005, 10:38 PM
haha considerably faster ? :rolleyes:

35K is the BASE price. ALL GTO's come fully loaded and the LS2 is BASE. You have no choice, you are getting 400 hp whether you like it or not.

and like i said you can get crazy deals on a GTO anyways.

(1) yes ANY SRT8 ( 300C,Magnum,Charger) is faster than a GTO. Mid 12 second 1/4 mile times and 170+ top speed.

(2) yes an SRT8 is a bit more money than a GTO. That's because they are in demand! (some dealers are adding 10k to sticker but that won't last long)

(3) All SRT8's come with 425 hp 6.1 liter hemi. so you are getting 25 hp more than a GTO whether you like it or not

(4) Yes you can get crazy deals on a GTO because nobody wants it!

(5) You miss the whole point by calling the SRT8 a 4300 lb "pig".... It's not even in the same class as the GTO (that's what the Challenger will be). Yes the SRT8 is heavy, it is a LUXURY car, and it STILL outperforms most cars on the road. Even the Caddy CTS-V (much lighter) and ESPECIALLY the 400hp Grand AM .....err....I mean....GTO :)

mannysc
12-15-2005, 11:20 PM
the GTO is innovatively UGLY i love the looks of a SC but hate the looks of the GTO the charger is ugly too, but nicer than the GTO in my opinion.:D

ricardoa1
12-16-2005, 11:42 AM
SRT-4 make a great daily driver let me tell you. That Mystic Cobra would need to be VAlet parked in fear of someone messing with it.:p

Thunder427
12-16-2005, 04:07 PM
well 425 hp is def. under rated.

but ive seen some 05' GTO's going for very low 20sK its crazy and an awesome deal. too bad more people dont realize how awesome of a car it is. the LS2 is soo responsive.

but this is what I want to see. http://www.gsmotorsports.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SRT-61001-MAG&Category_Code=MAGNUM61SRTSC

supercharged SRT-8's 500 rwhp

CMac89
12-16-2005, 04:56 PM
All I have to say is forget what a car runs stock. It depends on its potential. Sure you can get an SRT-8 and run mid 12's while reachin 36K deep in your pockets. Or you can get an 05 GTO which runs 12.8-12.9 and put the additional 7-10K dollars in it then which is the best bang for the buck?

Stock numbers are deceiving. You can make anything fast.

Stewie
12-17-2005, 02:44 AM
A few things, thunder427, are you comparing a NEW SRT-4 to a USED Cobra? you can pick up a used SRT-4 for 13k, so..... Second, MOST 05 GTOs are NOT running 12s. i don't magazine race, visit some sites, they are pretty solidly in the 13s and dynoing about 335 HP stock or about 40 less than the SRT-8. As for aftermarket, the GTO has a benefit FOR NOW because the vette has been out, but there are already cams, heads, bolt-ons, and even superchargers avail for 5.7 AND 6.1 hemis and the SCed 6.1s, with just the SC kit and exhaust, are putting over 500 HP TO THE GROUND. On top of that Mopar will certainly be developing kits for these cars as a PCM is already confirmed to be on the way, as is a Superchips tuner. Simply put, The SRT-8 is not that much more expensive MSRP to MSRP (it is only GMs fault they move their overpowered bars of soap), the SRT comes with a LOT of stuff not even AVAILABLE on the GTO, such as stability control and 20 inch rims (remember the GTO comes with only 17s stock and 18s are a 9xx option), a moonroof is not available on the GTO, the SRT-8s auto transmission has one more gear than the GTOs standard auto (the 6 speed is a 600 dollar option), It handily whips the GTO in ANY measure of handling, luxury, featuresetc, etc, etc. It's actually comparable to the 55k CTS-V and the 77k STS-V. I like GTOs, but compared to cars on newer platforms, it is just to antiquated.......

darkstar_one
12-17-2005, 02:50 AM
why the hell would u put 20s on a damn SRT-4 or a SRT-8 man ur wack!

dont you know you lose horsepower by running bigger rims, but u gain FEET PER GALLON. NOT MILES BUT FEET!

anything beyond 18's and ur being GHETTO...

whats next a chrome mesh grill on the SRT-4 and SRT-8 and some big ole 24's with badges on the side that says SIZE MATTERS? WACK! give me SPORT over LOOKS anyday!

Stewie
12-17-2005, 03:42 AM
FYI, they are factory and they WORK. All the more impressive the car hits mid 12s in the 1/4, pulls .90G on the skidpad and 67 MPH through the slalom, yeah they are hurting it so much and the car is so big the look PERFECT on it, trust me. if you weren't so hell bent on hating it, you'd realize it's a damned good package and that also, MANY cars come with stock 20s these days........

http://www.dodgertclub.org/Pics/12-13-05/chargersrt86.jpg
http://www.dodgertclub.org/Pics/12-13-05/chargersrt84.jpg

You're right, they look ghetto. Sheesh...........

89SCK@t
12-17-2005, 05:19 AM
I went to take a look at the SRT-8 line...very impressive. What I thought was cool was the SRT-6 Crossfire. They upped the 3.2 18-valve from 215 hp to 330hp and something like 375tq...in a 2 seater. Right on top of the motor was an AMG stamped supercharger.

Looking at the Chrysler line because my grandparents retired from the Belvidere, IL plant. I can get a sizeable chunk taken out from the discounts.

Thunder427
12-17-2005, 11:51 AM
what is your point that they make supercharger kits for the hemi ?

so you cant get a twin turbo or supercharger kit for an LS1/LS2 ?
what kind of argument is that ?

Gee i wonder what i would rather do... spend an extra 3-4K on an SRT-8, or put a twin screw on my GTO.. :rolleyes:
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=572A44AA-C8C1-43FB-94E4-A4B098596683&t=top&term=GTO&p=6

MSRP does not matter as I said, its the point you can find an 04 for like 18K and even 05's in low 20s

mannysc
12-17-2005, 12:50 PM
point is that just like days of old the chevy hits its hp limits long before the hemi does. part for part the hemi is ahead . even in the old days a chevy with 12-1 compression and a radical cam ls6 chevelle turned 13.40s a hemi challanger with a hemi with 10-5 compression and smooth idle cam turned 13:33 now imagine if the hemi had the same agressive caM and compression as the 454 it would have been a beast,

the ls1 is not a world changing engine nor is the new hemi but the hemi has more potential. part for part the hemi will out perform the chevy engine,

dual turbos well do it to the hemi price for price it goes to the GTO power wise it goes to the hemi cars , not same class of cars but hey when the challenger comes out with the hemi in it the gto will be out classed big time .

but wait is not this a sc site and should we not be talking of sc's ?

Ill race a GTO with my sc bet Ill beat it .

1FASTSC
12-17-2005, 02:12 PM
I liked when this post was about the SRT-4, that way I could continue arguing.

Thunder427
12-17-2005, 03:28 PM
well i will tell you right now, the head design is not as "radical" as it was back then, the potential is there, and its still a good design but as I have said to many people, ( much like this article concludes ) it is more of a marketing idea.

point is that just like days of old the chevy hits its hp limits long before the hemi does.

so like you will learn in this article THESE ARE NOT THE OLD DAYS AND THIS IS NOT THE OLD HEMI. Top fuels use the hemi Design, but the new "Dodge Hemi" is not nearly as radical.

just as said earlier in this thread. the "name" is burnt out.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/0407_hemi/

read and enjoy. Does this have very significant potential over the LS series engines particular head designs ? not really.

I rest my case. If this was a Honda site, you would probably try and be telling me that Vtec is for performance and not economy. not to get off track here, but there is a reason why real honda "tuners" use "Vtec killer cams" on Vtec engines.

Stewie
12-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Frankly the hemi will at least have as much potential as the LS series. on top oif that you get a better car around that motor. I was shocked when I saw an 03 Cavalier sitting beside a GTO, IT'S THE SAME DAMNED DESIGN!!! At least with Charger it LOOKS aggressive. i dunno, i don't want a car that i will be tired of in no time because it simply looks like a 13,000 Cavalier. Seriously, I USED to want a GTO so bad, but even then was unsure because of the looks. one of the most interesting things i have seen, a guy on the GTP board had a GTP coupe and a GTO, both in Gulf Blue, the GTP had Bullitt rims and a hood (GTO was an 05 with the Ram air hood). Which do you thing looked better and more aggressive? Also, ~~~ do you keep comparing prices of used cars to new ones? you arfe NOT getting a new GTO for 18-20k, high 20s, sure and that's a deal, but used to new doesn't work, given, unlikje the GTO, i am pretty sure the SRT-8 WILL hold it's value and for a new buyer or anyone that plans to sell it at a future date after buying it, that is a GOOD thing, whereas the GTO, you might as well just throw 10k away when you buy it.

Thunder427
12-17-2005, 05:30 PM
ha, so now you have cut your argument down to

"it looks like a cavalier" or a grand prix.

let me ask you something, have you ever seen a 66 GTO next to a 66 Grand Prix ??

pretty brave words coming from someone who backs the SRT-4.

the fact that you are calling it ugly. The SRT-4 is UGLY. The GTO is just subtle, it is regular looking. Thats how muscle cars originated. Plain Jane car with lots of power. It wasnt until a few years later when cosmetically concious metro sexuals decided cars were only cool if they had insane colors and hood scoops. Im sorry but styling is one of the last things on my list. It matters, but you guys seem to be attacking the GTO in the wrong way. You know it is not ugly, you are just upset it is not "retro fabulous"

I would drive a pink VW beetle, if it had a 700 hp big block.

so you back a FWD 4 cylinder, and not a RWD V8 ? to me that seems a little fruity.

Basically GM didnt have time to think up some radical new design when they brought it over here.. so they put the GTO nameplate on an awesome car. So what ? Overall it is an amazing car. The car is not rushed. the Holden manaro has been succesful for a while now.. and who the hell wouldnt want a Manaro ? Oh thats right, people who cant think into the future of car designs.

The EVO is one of the ugliest cars on the road. Doesnt stop people from buying it though. GTO is 10X better looking than the Evo and alls you have to say is... " its not aggresive enough for me". STUPID. STUPID. STUPID.

it makes me really upset that because of people like you, amazing cars stop being built and we will be forced with another corny FWD platform.

Because you have to have your stupid Hemi name plate, that has absolutely nothing to do with anything, and your big dumpy dodge grill.

Man if they do the Zeta platform the GTO will unfortunately go retro. Then you will all be like " oooh man i love GTOs" :rolleyes:

darkstar_one
12-17-2005, 05:33 PM
charger looks aggressive? when did this happened? Dude, chargers pull up all the time were i work! They dont look aggressive. Hell i even mistake them for the 300C's. THe only difference is the front end. Thats it and the name charger! Why are you saying that the GTO looks like a cavalier? If it uses the same frame and what not then your CHARGER is a 300C also! THe only difference is the body panels!

And nobody is hating on the CHARGER! All i said is that to me they are burnt out. But i think you need to take your pride out of your ~~~.

CAVILIER = GTO BIGGER ENGINE RWD

300C = CHARGER BIGGER ENGINE DIFFERENT BODY PANELS

MAZDA 6 or MAZDA something = FORD FALCON (AUS.) DOHC 32VALVE V8 RWD

its all the same!

Stewie
12-17-2005, 05:49 PM
The Charger is also selling why the GTO is not and I actually said the Grand Prix looks BETTER than the GTO.

Darkstar, you don't know crap, you can get the same motors in the Charger as the 300 and the SRT-8 looks aggtressive as hell, don't think so? you need your eyes checked........ You especially need them checked if you get the Charger and the 300C mixed up, totally different styles, though the do share the same platform/motors, that's it.

Yes thunder427, the SRT-4 is a bargain. looks, that's subjective, but it IS more agressive than the GTO. Again, your arguments are bunk, i never said the GTO was a bad perfromer, but it is bland and while old Muslecars weren't that agressive, at least they DID have personality and wouldn't be mistaken for an economy car...............

darkstar_one
12-17-2005, 05:52 PM
all of a sudden i need my eyes check? ur the one talking about the CAVALIER looks the same as a GTO? 300C is a CHARGER simple as that!

Like i said take your pride out of your ~~~ and lets return to the SRT4 getting whooped by a COBRA

mannysc
12-17-2005, 06:27 PM
personally I dont like eather car but i do want a challenger and I love the 300c bang for the buck goes to the GTO .

looks wise Ill take a mustang .

but hey who am I i once owned a omni and a pacer .

Im amazed that these cars are even produced and will enjoy them all as long as they are made .

tell the truth I liked the GTO when It was a aussie car,
I really think we need to keep the sc mentioned here as this is a sc forum and xr7 forum.

srt 4 is a great car but i beat them with my sc I eat gtp,s have not tried a GTO but would love to try to beat one.

I was stupid enuff to try to race a zo6 vette man did I look stupid.

same with this car i raced for the fun of it guess who won.

Stewie
12-17-2005, 06:37 PM
http://www.icefire.ca/stylez24/domesticdriver.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/sperryba/IMG_0475.jpg

Thunder427
12-17-2005, 07:26 PM
Yes thunder427, the SRT-4 is a bargain. looks, that's subjective, but it IS more agressive than the GTO. Again, your arguments are bunk, i never said the GTO was a bad perfromer, but it is bland and while old Muslecars weren't that agressive, at least they DID have personality and wouldn't be mistaken for an economy car...............

wow.

if you mistake a GTO for an economy car, you obviously are stupid.
that cavalier has a body kit anyways..

You are contradicting yourself.

now you are talking about the SRT-4 being a bargain, and it is ugly.. then you say the GTO is ugly, and it doesnt matter if it is a bargain.. even though it is alot faster and cooler and more luxurious than an SRT-4.

you just have a huge boner for chrysler.

but yet my arguments are "bunk". The only thing you have brought to the table is a dumb picture of a cavalier. You deserve a standing ovation.

I could also say how stupid the signature grills on dodges look. or that the Magnum and Charger look like a baby Ram.

but I guess you win, thats your best rebuttle. " The GTO kind of looks like a cavalier" OOOOHHHH you got me there stewie, you win ! 100 points !

As I said before, ( althought there are many definitions ) concept of a muscle car = stuffing a full size car engine into a mid size car. PERIOD.

styling came last.

Stewie
12-17-2005, 07:36 PM
I never said the GTO wasn't a bargain, i did say it's boring. You are making accusations that just aren't there. I said, the GTO is not aggressive, not that it's it's ugly, I said the SRT-8 Charger (not lesser Chargers) look agressive and badass, i also stated the extra money on the Charger gets you a more complete car, which is true. IMHO, a car is just not about going in a straight line, i like features, braking, and ahndling too, once you got the GTO to be as fast, handle as well, and match the Charger's features, you would have MORE money in the GTO just to match it. That was all i was saying. I probably wouldn't own a SRT-4 or GTO myself FYI. All i can say, is you need to check out the SRT-8, AMAZING cars and they REALLY did their homework with it.

89SCK@t
12-17-2005, 07:49 PM
I was just saying that I was surprised with the crossfire...thats all. A little v6 (3.2L) pumping 330 horses...I guess chrysler was trying to stop all the static it received from the original crossfire. It's not an underpowered roadster anymore.

1990sc
12-18-2005, 03:13 AM
come on, you cant be impressed with a neon.... My buddy had one and he didn't mod it and drove it pretty nicely and it blew up at 15,000 miles. These cars are a stock neon with a high horse motor. There isnt even any interior upgrades or frame upgrades. They fall apart. Although the neon did put up a pretty good fight for a while but consider the neon had a lot of mods. I don't know I just hate front wheel drive fake performance cars.

1990sc
12-18-2005, 03:23 AM
I agree, once a neon always a neon. That video is great, it shows that there is no replacement for displacement

Thunder427
12-18-2005, 06:22 AM
lol the GTO isnt just a "straight line car" it handles very well.

what the charger has beaten it in is so damn marginal.. and it could be atributed to driver error, well not error, but its not always going to be 100% accurate.

car magazines state that all of the time when an argument comes up between two cars. and explain how usually when a car is .10's of a second faster

I like the SRT-8s I think its crazy that they run mid 12s. im planning on a new challenger ( if dodge keeps the concept look ) or a new camaro.. well or a GTO lol. Unfortunately its not going to go down in price as fast as the GTO , but thats part of the GTO's bargain. but thats not setting me away from it.

im just saying people under estimate the GTO based on kind of trivial things.

but as far as a "complete car" i think you are a little misunderstood about the GTO and all of its goodies, and the fact they ALL come fully loaded. you should really read all of this... seriously http://www.newagegto.com/index.php?page=faq

ricardoa1
12-18-2005, 07:44 PM
come on, you cant be impressed with a neon.... My buddy had one and he didn't mod it and drove it pretty nicely and it blew up at 15,000 miles. These cars are a stock neon with a high horse motor. There isnt even any interior upgrades or frame upgrades. They fall apart. Although the neon did put up a pretty good fight for a while but consider the neon had a lot of mods. I don't know I just hate front wheel drive fake performance cars. :confused:

How is a car that can keep up with the best of them Fake performance?
Thats funny I dont see my car falling appart, Can you buy a car that can perform like an SRT4 for the money no. Interior upgrades. The viper inspired seats come in a standard neon, last time I checked it didnt, carbon fiber look leather steering wheel?
Man I dont know why people hate on cars that they dont know much about.
The SRT4 is a fun passenger car and that was it was meant for. Is an exotic, no. Ive driven the GTO and the interior is the best, and there is nothing wron g with the cavalier/grandprix exterior. IF it was released in the 90 that style would have sold more then the SC did. My SRT-4 had one function. Humiliating other cars while getting to work. My weekend cruiser is the SC. My cobra I didnt see a purpose when I had it so I got rid of it. Fast as ~~~~ being the only plus, uncomfortable as hell, rides like a brick, no space for my friends, insurance stinks, not good on gas, worring about someone messing with. Did I mention mine got keyed.
Every car has a purpose and you just have to love what it has to offer, I hate the whole brand loyalty shi~. Its purely stupid. It shows how ignorant people can be.

1FASTSC
12-18-2005, 09:10 PM
I agree, once a neon always a neon. That video is great, it shows that there is no replacement for displacement

These types of arguements aren't valid, try coming up with an original thought.

darkstar_one
12-19-2005, 03:26 AM
it is valid cuz u can make way more power with boost and more cylinders... :p its just we need to lower the cars wieght and go with the all wheel drive and have a massive after market parts selection... just like the EVOs do...

XR7inWI
12-19-2005, 10:58 AM
We DON'T need AWD.. like XR7Dave said once... "give me RWD or give me death". The AWD SC that the club now owns is a great thing and a great piece of history. I can't wait to see how that thing comes along in the resto process, but to tell you the truth... I wouldn't want one. I don't drive my XR7 in the snow or mud or offroad so I see no use for AWD. Just adds extra weight. If I wanna launch hard at the track I will buy drag tires and have all the traction I need.

CMac89
12-19-2005, 01:31 PM
AWD drive is next to a waste. Sure it's good for the 4cylinder turbo guys that can't make much low end power to begin with on the street. Other than that it's just a huge loss in drivetrain efficiency, even more than we already have.

Think about it in a drag car perspective. Your doing a wheelie not depending on the height where are the front wheels? Not on the ground which means it's no good. I've never spun mid-track on an NHRA or IHRA prepped track.

Thunder427
12-19-2005, 02:09 PM
AWD drive is really only significant for rally.

mud/dirt/snow

still acts partially as a FWD car, creating some understeer

( now this thread is going to morph into a rwd/awd/fwd discussion )

David Neibert
12-19-2005, 03:17 PM
I think the SRT8 Charger looks better than the GTO, the fact that's it's quicker is just a bonus.

BTW, I think the LS6/LS7 is a better engine than the Hemi, buy they don't come in the Charger I'm buying, so it doesn't really matter.

David

xThunderbirdSCx
12-19-2005, 10:15 PM
i like the GTO and the Charger...personally i will wait and buy a GT500 or a new Challenger/Camaro/Firebird in 2009 but thats just me.

kevenj90sc
12-20-2005, 01:31 AM
all of a sudden i need my eyes check? 300C is a CHARGER

Um....sorry man but while they both use the LX platform, there is not a single body panel shared between the 2......(personally I like the 300C much better which is why I own one, but I'm not gonna dis' the charger)

The Magnum is actually a lot closer to the 300C (except for the back) but the Charger is not even close. same windshield and A pillars but NOTHING else!

kevenj90sc
12-20-2005, 01:41 AM
All I have to say is forget what a car runs stock. It depends on its potential. Sure you can get an SRT-8 and run mid 12's while reachin 36K deep in your pockets. Or you can get an 05 GTO which runs 12.8-12.9 and put the additional 7-10K dollars in it then which is the best bang for the buck?

Well when I say SRT8 , I mean the 300C SRT8, not the charger. they are mechanically the same, but you can't touch either one for $36k - - that's the 300C "non SRT8" price. 300C srt8 is $45k + and Charger SRT8 is somewhere in the low $40k range. The 300C SRT8 competes with luxury performance sedans costing twice as much, so yeah...."bang for the buck" is the biggest selling point of the SRT8 series. It's not designed to compete with a GTO (yet it will still smoke it) but rather Benzes and BMW's that cost $75,000

kevenj90sc
12-20-2005, 01:51 AM
why the hell would u put 20s on a damn SRT-4 or a SRT-8 man ur wack!

Um..... 20's are Factory on the SRT8 line...... along with 14" rotors and HUGE Brembo Brakes. You obviously don't have a clue what an SRT8 is - - it is most certainly not in the same league as the SRT-4.... tell me the 20's on the silver car look "wack" and then get your eyes checked again!

Thunder427
12-20-2005, 12:03 PM
I would much rather have a 300C than a charger, looks like a bently or rolls.

they better not ruin the challenger. we will know in about a month, if they stay true to the concept.

mannysc
12-20-2005, 12:56 PM
I would much rather have a 300C than a charger, looks like a bently or rolls.

they better not ruin the challenger. we will know in about a month, if they stay true to the concept.
i knew we would eventually agree i like the 300 better than the charger too!!

Thunder427
12-20-2005, 01:23 PM
well yeah, how can you not ? the 300C looks right. Thats why I would take a 300C V8 or a GTO over a Charger. But if the Challenger looks anything like the spy photos, holy crap. Still will be on the LX platform, but 4 inches shorter than 300C/Charger..

but I read Camaro will have like the SS version which will have the 400 hp LS2, then they will have a more powerful Z28 too. :)

and camaro should weigh somewhere like between 3400-3600

1FASTSC
12-20-2005, 01:34 PM
it is valid cuz u can make way more power with boost and more cylinders... its just we need to lower the cars wieght and go with the all wheel drive and have a massive after market parts selection... just like the EVOs do...

Really? Why is it that you really don't see many v8 cars running 30+ PSI of boost on the street? I realize there are going to be SOME cars running that (maybe, I don't know for sure) but let's be realistic.

Just for the record, I was talking about neon's and you made this about Evo's, so with that I will give my next comments:

I didn't say that you needed AWD though, I do think AWD is superior to RWD in the street, atleast from a dig, anything over 60mph for the most part will just make the AWD system dead weight. You guys do need more aftermarket support, the Evo has been in country for 3 years and we've already gone 9s, and the power record stands at 826hp at all 4 wheels. You guys are probably never going to see that out of the SC motor without aftermarket support.

We DON'T need AWD.. like XR7Dave said once... "give me RWD or give me death". The AWD SC that the club now owns is a great thing and a great piece of history. I can't wait to see how that thing comes along in the resto process, but to tell you the truth... I wouldn't want one. I don't drive my XR7 in the snow or mud or offroad so I see no use for AWD. Just adds extra weight. If I wanna launch hard at the track I will buy drag tires and have all the traction I need.

If you had ever driven an STI, VR-4, or Evo you would understand more. It has nothing to do with mud and snow or bad conditions, it has everything to do with the fact that you can pull 1.7 and lower 60 foot times on street tires....I'm talking high performance summer tires, not drag radials... Sure...for the guys running the tires required for snow and mud and such it's going to be beneficial, but I don't run those types of tires so unless it's dry or raining, I'm out of luck like anyone else.

Also forgive me if I don't want to use my $30,000 rally "inspired" (not rally car as some would like you to believe) to go winding around rutty dirt roads like I'm Tommi Makinen.

AWD drive is next to a waste. Sure it's good for the 4cylinder turbo guys that can't make much low end power to begin with on the street. Other than that it's just a huge loss in drivetrain efficiency, even more than we already have.

Think about it in a drag car perspective. Your doing a wheelie not depending on the height where are the front wheels? Not on the ground which means it's no good. I've never spun mid-track on an NHRA or IHRA prepped track.

Doing wheelies has to do with suspension, and tires, and center of gravity. Look at top fuel dragsters, yeah they do wheelies but they don't come way off the ground like some. I look at wheelies as a waste of energy that instead of lifting the car up should be pushing the car forward.

4 cylinder turbo guys can make TONS of torque low end. The highest HP evo in the US is making near 600ft-lbs, I think your statement was pretty ignorant, and I don't mean that in an insulting way, I just don't think you have enough expirience to comment.

AWD drive is really only significant for rally.

mud/dirt/snow

still acts partially as a FWD car, creating some understeer

( now this thread is going to morph into a rwd/awd/fwd discussion )

I pull 1.79 60ft on the 235/45/17 tires that came with the car, what do you think the new z06 with the big 315 series tires can pull? I know it can pull some really good 60 foot times, but look at how much more meat it has out back. AWD is great for rain, snow, dry, pretty much any conditions but the 30mph ricer roll (read: roll on).

Also saying that the AWD system on the car makes it plow in the corner's is ignorant. The STI is prone to understeer, but the Evo is prone to oversteer. This makes no sense, because the STI's motor is setup like a rearwheel drive, and the Evo's is set up as a front wheel drive (position of the motor).

And while I'm arguing my points....let me add...

Originally Posted by CMac89

Stock Evo 9 is running 12.8-12.9 (I heard one magazine went 12.7 but I haven't seen it for myself so I won't say) and that's for 30k. (evo9 RS). IMO there is no potential motor greater then the 4g63 EXCEPT for the 2jze (supra) motor.

Thunder427
12-20-2005, 04:02 PM
:rolleyes:

so anyways, as I was saying about the new challenger and camaro..