Alternater ??

Burns Z

Well it died, and Advanced Auto Part wants $250 for a new one..They said that the LX and SC Alt are not interchangeable. Is it true that a V-6 Mustang Alt will fit, I through I remember reading that somewhere...Car is a 90 sc 5-speed.

I never heard of a stock alt costing so much .....

Thanks Tom

Alternator

When my alternator went out a couple years ago, I went to AutoZone. I believe they charged me $129 for a rebuilt one. It has performed just fine, no problems at all.

Was it a pain to get off? Any tips?....Looks like coil pack needs to come off to get to the bottom bolt (s) ..I just looked at it real quick, so I not sure how involved it is

It's easy. yes, the coil pack needs to come up so you can get at the rear retaining bolt.

The top and bottom bolt are right where you see them.

Don't forget, there are going to be shops in most towns that will rebuild alternators. You could track one down and get an estimate before shelling out $125 if all you need is $15 of brushes and a $10 bearing. Plus $45 in labor, you still end up ahead of the game.

By removing the Tensioner assembly the alt will drop out from the front of the engine without removing the IC tube.

Jeff

Back