No boost plenty of vacum on 95 SC no mods.

CHIRPIN'INTO2nd

Guys I Have a strange issue. I lost alot of power most recently while I was in neutral and was reving the engine pretty high and then went into drive. My check engine light went on and my engine felt like it was tripping over itself. A corner mechanic told me it is the EGR valve. However when I sit in idle my gauge reads plenty of vaccum but will only go to zero when I step on the gas.
Is this a classic symptom of a blown supercharger? is it the EGR valve? is it belt slippage?
The reason I ask about belt slippage is because my car kept blowing up alternators due to my sound system and I have changed it out more times than I care to try to count. Thank god for Kragen's lifetime warranty.
Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Paul de Hoyos.
1995 SC no mods only 9" K&N cone filter and removed air box and silencer.

Look at engine while its running and tell us what you see. SC belt turning?..Is it there?...rev motor and see if belt seems to be slipping..We can take it from there

will do that and get back. Thanks.
The belt is there and it is turning.
I just replaced the alternator.
I will check for slippage.

Might want to check and make sure the crank pulley isn't wobbling. If it is your harmonioc damper is busted and your timing (ignition) is off.

Thanx guys.
I checked everything out and I can't seem to figure it out
Everything spins, no wobbling, and to top it off now the boost/vac gauge reads ZERO. I think I'm just gonna give up on this. I might try to sell it and get myself something less cumbersome.
I can't even find the dang EGR valve on the car. I have a new one but can't figure out where it goes.

Sounds like your bypass valve is stuck open. Make sure there is a vacuum line attached to the inlet plenum and the bypass because it might have jumped off, but not likely.

With the car shut-off, look at the bypass and see if the lever is in 12 o'clock position. If it isn't then it is stuck open. Go start it and check to see if it is at the 3 o'clock position. If it is then rev it up from underneath the hood by going WOT to see if the valve tries to close. Don't rev it high though. Open the throttle quickly and let go while watching the valve.

No it doesn't have anything to do with EGR. That might be the most misguided information from a "mechanic" that i've ever heard.

For starters, how about pulling the CEL codes to see if it's EGR related.

If you did a neutral drop then you may have broke a motor mount and pulled on some hoses. Lool for cracked or pulled off hoses on the drivers side rear of engine. Might even check for wires on sensors but yes running codes would be a good start.

Back