Over Heating Issue.

tattoo

Hey Guys,
My sc is overheating while i idle,gauge moves right into the 'red' area, i dont have actual temps.This is after 15 min idle,When im driving normal its fine.Any ideas?...Maybe i should wire up a control switch from the fan to the cockpit?...What would be the best way to do this,Should i install a relay?....Thanks Guys.
Ed.

It could be the temp sensor located at the exit pipe to the rad at the top of the engine.It is a small sensor that sends the signal to the temp indicator in the dash.

So until i can replace the sensor it will be fine right?.All it is doing is giving a false reading?...I have no other issues with cooling system.i just put a new w/pump in,changed the t/stat, no leaks anywhere,the coolant level is good with a 50/50 mix...Thoughts?

Are you sure your rad's fan is working properly?

It's two speed fan, low speed/high speed. In my SC the low speed fan wasn't working so my temp was fine driving fast but when the speed was low it raised much. Check it!

Sampo said:

It's two speed fan, low speed/high speed. In my SC the low speed fan wasn't working so my temp was fine driving fast but when the speed was low it raised much. Check it!
I second this. Make sure the fan is turning on.

Hill1513 said:
I second this. Make sure the fan is turning on.

3rd, then check the fuses when you find the fan is not coming on. I ended up having to replace my puller motor.

Sampo said:

From what has been said, I would say the easiest way to check this is to be very specific about when the gauge is giving a redline reading - if it just instantly goes straight to the red, from a normal reading, as soon as you stop driving and start idling, I'd say its the gauge or wiring. If it steadily increases, then it is more likely to be the fan. We need some more information to give a likely diagnosis.

Berserk said:
From what has been said, I would say the easiest way to check this is to be very specific about when the gauge is giving a redline reading - if it just instantly goes straight to the red, from a normal reading, as soon as you stop driving and start idling, I'd say its the gauge or wiring. If it steadily increases, then it is more likely to be the fan. We need some more information to give a likely diagnosis.

You are right. Don't believe me. I don't know absolutely anything...

But my car had that same problem and the IRCM wasn't working. The temp went up very fast when I stopped driving.

If you start your car cold and then the temp will go to red immediately I say there's wrong with the wiring/temp sending unit/gauge.

I can tell you if your fan isn't working properly the temp will go up very fast after driving 15 minutes!!!

Last edited:
What ever the case may be, DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR UNTIL YOU KNOW WHY THE TEMP GAUGE IS GOING INTO THE RED!!!

These motors run on the edge as it is, and if it is over heating, your gonna be out of a motor very shortly AND quite a few dollars...... if its not too late already. If you believe the statement of its just the sending unit to the gauge and it turns out NOT to be the problem..... well it sucks to be you....

There's plenty of posts around here that tell you how to check if the IRCM is working properly, if the dual speeds on the fan is working properly etc. Investigate the problem and fix it right then you'll be a happy camper ;).

Frit

Sampo said:
You are right. Don't believe me. I don't know absolutely anything...

I didn't mean to suggest that you were wrong, I just didn't want to jump to a fan issue when to me it sounded more like the sending unit - I've had that issue, and if you get a good connection, it'll read fine, but sometimes just the lack of flex when you're not driving is enough to break the connection and give you a false reading.

There are a lot of different things that could be wrong and I just wanted more information to give a better diagnosis.

Here's .02!!!!

I would do the following.....

Run the car.

Let it stand as you said to get thte temp to go up.

Check to see if the fan is coming on.

If no fan coming on.....replace IRCM (THEY DO GO BAD!!!)

Check gauge sender..It's right near the thermostat housing. Let engine cool, remove and replace the sender. Worth to do anyway. You can test the sender by grounding the wire that goes to the sender. It should go straight to hot when grounded.

These cars WILL go to hot when stopped when there is a cooling problem. You will damage your motor.

You can also check on the fan by removing the harness plug to the coolant temp sensor (the computer one) at the passenger side of the blower. It's sort of angled to the side and sticks up out of the intake manifold.

Remove the wire while the car is running and the fan should come on. If it does not, replace the sensor. If still not good, fan or IRCM is problem.

Call me and I can walk you through it.

Don

(973) 277-4294

Air Bubble!!!!

tattoo said:
So until i can replace the sensor it will be fine right?.All it is doing is giving a false reading?...I have no other issues with cooling system.i just put a new w/pump in,changed the t/stat, no leaks anywhere,the coolant level is good with a 50/50 mix...Thoughts?

After reading your post further, I noticed that you just replaced the water pump and filled coolant. Sounds like you have air trapped in the cooling system.

Here's a fix.....

With car cool....remove radiator cap. Start car. Let it run until warmed up. Coolant will start to over-flow the cap....do not worry....let it happen. Keep an eye on coolant level. When all air is gone, the coolant level will drop A LOT!!!! Add 50/50 mixture and all will be OK.!!!!!!

Again, call me, I'll explain!!!

Don

That's what I thought first!

I didn't know you that you have just changed your coolant...

I can tell you, I have experienced that also! No big deal to get those bubbles out.

And Berserk, the most important thing is we can help asker anyway! As you said, there could be many reasons to overheating! ;) :)

Last edited:
Back