Clogged Cats

leeklimala

Do our cats clog or desintegrate? I think mine are clogged, anyone know who makes a good set of downtubes (ahem....tbird88)?

Mine fell apart and I think that is what caused my head gasket to blow. Also had a local exhuast shop make up and install my down tubes for my mid length headers took out the cats and welded everthing together for around 70.00.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, if I could find a shop around here that would do it I'd be happy. But none that I have gone to will eliminate the cats or make me a set of downtubes for under $200 bux.

tbird88 (texas thunderbirds) makes them fror $110 with the o2 bung installed. as we speak i'm waiting for mine to arrive

so get a set from bird and weld them on yourself, that is what I did.

I haven't heard too many problems with them, but most people probably already have the stock ones replaces for better flow.

leeklimala said:
Thanks for the reply, if I could find a shop around here that would do it I'd be happy. But none that I have gone to will eliminate the cats or make me a set of downtubes for under $200 bux.
Sometimes it pays to live around alot of hillbillys LOL!!

I bought his downtubes and installed them onto my 89. they came with flanges and bolted right up to the stock manifolds. Used a hacksaw to cut them to length, cut off the old exhaust pipe and just used clamps to clamp the new tubes to the old exhaust.

Tbird88 makes them long enough that you have some pipe to work with to fit with most exhaust even if it's been changed.

Back