Gonna invest some cash one of these years!

I was wondering if it is possible to get our birds into the mid to low 12's without cheating with nitros? And if so, what will be required and how much cash would a man need to invest?
Just thinking about refinancing the house!

I believe Coy Miller achieved his 11.6x second qm without the use of Nitrous. You can find more about qm times achieved by ppl w/ & w/o nos @ http://www.sccoa.com/faq/fastest.php . Others can tell you approx what it would cost to get that time, accounting for the various options that are possible.

Thanks dude!
I have heard of Coy's success, but I talked to him earlier last year and he told me that 11's had only been achieved with nitros. BUT, he also told me that there was a prototype supercharger in the works too. I guess the prototype worked out if the 11's have now been achieved!

true that, n20 is just another modification, not that i use it. i like to keep it so that any power you have at the track you have all the time, thats the only beef i have with n20. (nawwss!:rolleyes: )

Nitros question!

In all fairness, I think nitros IS cheating. I look at my car just like I look at my body and i'll explain:

EXAMPLE-If I build my body with hard work, I will add muscle tissue naturally. If I use steriods "that is CHEATING", but I will get results quicker and more efficiently.

This is the same with building an engine. Nitros is not naturally found in the air that runs an engine. That's why it is cheating. It also has been known to break things! (Like Steroids!)

You likely disagree, but this is my personal opinion. I like the benifits of Nitros, but I choose to EARN my bragging rights!
My 2 cents.

N20 is just another bolt on isn't not cheating cuz anyone can do it just like a putting a cam or tb

Bleck! bottle babies....

Maybe its not cheating technically, but I do think its pretty cheap. Its not really your engine doing the work, its the n2o. A cam and other bolt-ons are permanant...not temporary boosts. If I attached JSTAR rocket engines to the side of my car I would go REALLY quick, but thats not a real comparison to car vs. car. I hope that clears up what the guys are trying to point out. Sure, nos is effective, but using it has the side effect of not only yourself knowing that your win wasnt exactly fair, but you also lose respect in the eyes of a lot of people, which to me, is just as important as winning.

My point exactly!

I agree totally with what you are saying and all. I also think that you are "candy coating" the fact that this is simply cheating.
Let's quote what you just wrote:
"but using it has the side effect of not only yourself knowing that your win wasnt exactly fair, but you also lose respect in the eyes of a lot of people"
I agree! Nitros IS cheating. Don't get me wrong, I like to cheat too, but if I could have an engine that could do the job without resorting to cheating, that would be more respectable.

gimme a break

Get real dude! If you think that nitrous is cheating you have no business doing any kinds of mods to your car, cause that is the same exact thing. In my book a mod is a mod whether it be exhaust, an air intake, or nitrous and NONE of these mods are CHEATING.

Jeff

come on!

Give me some valid points why nitros ISNT cheating, and then maybe I'll take you seriously. The fact that most NOS products are labeled as a "cheater kit" should tell you something. When I race, or hear about a guy's timeslip, I am always curious about what he/she has under the hood. On numorous occasions, I've heard people brag about what they've got, but convienently leave out the hidden fogger kit under the manifold. Come on now....give me a break! A friend of mine put a 150 shot in his mazda pickup truck, and when he kicks someones arse, people ask "whats IN that thing?" He tells them a big bottle of NOS, and the intrigue instantly changes to "oh...THATS how" and just like that, his "hella fast" truck turns into a regular, no balls, bottle baby. Personally, I hope all you out there who dont think nitros is cheating WILL use it, so that when you're engine explodes racing some insignificant honda next to you, you might think about why the hell you didnt just do it the right way. Just my 75 cents... :D

oh come on!

Give me some valid points why nitros ISNT cheating, and then maybe I'll take you seriously. The fact that most NOS products are labeled as a "cheater kit" should tell you something. When I race, or hear about a guy's timeslip, I am always curious about what he/she has under the hood. On numorous occasions, I've heard people brag about what they've got, but convienently leave out the hidden fogger kit under the manifold. Come on now....give me a break! A friend of mine put a 150 shot in his mazda pickup truck, and when he kicks someones arse, people ask "whats IN that thing?" He tells them a big bottle of NOS, and the intrigue instantly changes to "oh...THATS how" and just like that, his "hella fast" truck turns into a regular, no balls, bottle baby. Personally, I hope all you out there who dont think nitros is cheating WILL use it, so that when you're engine explodes racing some insignificant honda next to you, you might think about why the hell you didnt just do it the right way. Just my 75 cents... :D

it's only cheating if you lie about using it or not.. if you openly admit to using nitrous (nitrous.. stop saying nitros, please), then fine.. but if someone uses nitrous and then lies and says they didn't use it, THEN it's cheating.. but using nitrous and admitting it, is NOT cheating.

To answer the original question, plan on spending about $25K for high to mid 12s without nitros. Considerably less if you do all the work yourself.

BTW, would you guys consider propane injection (alternative to alky/water injection) cheating ?

David

another example!

When a pro-weight lifter, boxer, baseball player or Olympic athelete uses steroids to gain an unfair advantage, is this cheating. Or if you get your ass kicked in a boxing match because your oponent openly tells you that he is using steroids BEFORE he kicks your ass, is that cheating???? CHEATING IS CHEATING!!! That's real dudes!

N20 cheating or not? It's one of those fights you can't win

Whether or not nitrous is cheating is one of those issues where valid points can be made for either side. 95% of the time, a group can argue, and in the end the two sides will walk away with the same views.

Can an SC go 12's without nitrous oxide and be streetable, yes. Is it going to cost you big money, at this point likely, but I suspect it will become less and less expensive the more we learn.

There are a number of approaches I see. One approach is to use boost. You have to build an engine to handle boost for a 12 second run. You would also have to increase the efficiency of the blower. Another way is to increase compression, volume (boring and/or stroking) so that the engine produces more power without substantial boost. Beyond the engine, traction, suspension tweaks, weight, transmission setup, altitude, and many other factors come into play. All of the bolt ons with no nitrous will bring you very close to 12's with good traction, good track prep, a good driver, close to sealevel altitude, a very good transmission, and a little luck. I'd even say it will happen.

Adam Mullen
The SC Kid

I agree, but......

My original question was whether or not 11's were possible without Nitros. ( "cheater kit" )....
12's have already been achieved by Coy Miller and some others without nitros!

Age old question, I have the age old answer....

Ahem, the answer is "outlaw". K'.

In organized sports the rules are the rules. The rules say that no athlete is supposed to use steriods to acheive results. I can respect that.

However, in racing, if the class that you are racing in prohibits N20 (like steriods are prohibited in pro-athletics) then using N20 is cheating.

But if you are racing in an "outlaw" class, then anything goes baby. ANy and every mod to make you faster is going to count. Cause you better beleive that your opponent is going to be doing the same thing.

"but but but if that's the case, then that means I can mount 50mm machine guns on the hood of my car and SHOOT my opponent to win"

Remember, I said any mod to make you faster. Including the aforementioned JATO rocket packs! >:)

Personally, I won't be using a bottle. Not becuase I think it's cheating, but because I don't like having to fill the bottle up. I want to have full power all the time. That's why we got our cars.

Since there are no rules in the SCCOA prohibiting N20 from being used, then any SC that is using it to go faster is OK in my book.

Back