PDA

View Full Version : Installing BHJ balancer!

Sampo
12-12-2005, 07:44 AM
Is it really so accurate what instructions say!? :confused:

My new balancer will fit tight but not too tight to crankshaft. I just tried it, not installed yet...

I don't have any tool to measure it.

Can it cause catastrophe to my engine if I don't measure it...or what?

I don't understand if it's a new piece from factory why wouldn't it fit and work?

NorthrnSCownr
12-12-2005, 07:50 AM
Mine went right on. I was afraid that I would have to hone it etc. but was a good fit out of the box. I read that heating it in the oven might help fit it on the crank as well.

Tom

Sampo
12-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Mine went right on. I was afraid that I would have to hone it etc. but was a good fit out of the box. I read that heating it in the oven might help fit it on the crank as well.

Tom

How tight it was?

Mine went well at first but then it came tight... How was your fit?

I read about that heating it in the oven...maybe I'll try it...

Hmmm, tight is good anyway....;) :D

XR7 Dave
12-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Make absolutely sure that it is properly engaging with the keyway or you'll wreck things. Also, be sure to use an installation tool. If you want to be sure, get a micrometer and measure your crank snout.

SCrazy
12-12-2005, 09:35 AM
As a reference when mine was honed properly it would slip onto the crank by hand until the keyway was just barely engaged, before honing it would only slide onto the crank about 1/4".

Thunder427
12-12-2005, 09:46 AM
make sure you dip it in milk first

Sampo
12-12-2005, 09:48 AM
As a reference when mine was honed properly it would slip onto the crank by hand until the keyway was just barely engaged, before honing it would only slide onto the crank about 1/4".

How much your balancer was honed?

Mine is like yours before honing. Can it hurt something if I just put it in there w/o honing and if I use install tool?

Mike8675309
12-12-2005, 02:30 PM
The issue is that there is variation from the ford factory in the dimensions of the crank snout from year to year. I believe there is even some thought there may be varations across the snout .

Thus BHJ makes the assembly to the size that's smallest so that it can be honed into the right size for those that have a larger snout.

If the fit is too loose, it may come off. The retension design of the balancer is through the interference fit. The bolt in the end of the crankshaft isn't really designed to hold the balancer on. It just restricts it's movements if it were to walk. The keyway just helps to keep the balancer from spinning on the shaft. Keep in mind that this balancer is what couples the supercharger to the engine. It takes a large amount of stress.

If the fit is too tight, you may get it on, but getting it off in the future may require a act of congress.

the instructions are shipped for a region, and when you consider the money you just dropped on this balancer, don't you think it makes sense to do it right?

I would call a local machine shop and see how they can help you. They might be able to lend you a caliper to measure the snout, bring the caliper and the balancer back into them, they'll get the measurement off the caliper and do the hone for you.

AnnivSpeCpe
12-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Mine went on my 90 without honing also, the fit was just right out of the box. I would go ahead and try it first, you may find, like a lot of others have, that the fit is fine. Borrow, rent or buy a balancer installation tool. Then alighn the keyway with the key and start drawing the balancer onto the snout with tool. The tool will let you know when/if it gets too tight. If at any time it becomes very hard or impossible to turn the tool bolt to draw on the balancer, stop and pull the balancer because it is too tight. BTW, the tightness is not the fault of BHJ, but the manufacturing tolerances of the crankshaft snout. Some are just larger than others. That is not problem with the aluminum center of the stock balancer as it will expand slightly and work it's own way on if forced. John

SCrazy
12-12-2005, 02:58 PM
How much your balancer was honed?

Mine is like yours before honing. Can it hurt something if I just put it in there w/o honing and if I use install tool?

If yours does not engage the keyway before you have to begin to use the tool on it it could be quite difficult to get the keyway aligned also if you force in on you may not be able to get it back off in the future.

I honed mine myself using a 180 grit flapwheel on a die grinder. Just go a little at a time until it measures correctly. I think mine needed about 0.004" honed out of it but you could certainly use trial and error if you go slow and hone until the keyway is just barely engaged.

ThunderRoad
12-12-2005, 04:57 PM
USED ANTISIEZE ON SHAFT GOT LONGER BOLTS AND PULLED IT RIGHT ON CHANGING THE BOLTS TILL IT WAS SEATED :eek: BOUGTH TEM AT BOLT SHOP I THINK DO SEARCH ON WEB THEY ARE 8,S RATHWER THAN 10.2 BUT WAS GOT ENOUGH FOR ME:eek:

Jason Wild
12-12-2005, 05:04 PM
dont use a 8 metric grade bolt on the crank thats only good for your lawn mower or someing used at home 10.8 grade is what is need some bolt places can get 12 something bolts there even better.

Sampo
12-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Thanks for all for answers!

I already got the longer bolt. :)

I will find the install tool somewhere...;)

And Mike, I really appreciate you were offering help for me! THANKS... I just live too far from you...:) ;) :D

SCrazy
12-13-2005, 10:32 AM
Also be sure to put a little silicone on the crank at the keyway or you'll get a tiny oil leak through the keyway.

Sampo
12-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Also be sure to put a little silicone on the crank at the keyway or you'll get a tiny oil leak through the keyway.

Yes! I read about that here:
http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/BHJ/BHJ-install.html

Thanks!:)