Heli-Coil question

LJGriggs

I did the search and got lots of good "general" info, but what I'd like to know is this: what is the "part number" of the correct Heli-coil thread repair kit for fixing the threads on the supercharger top? And, does the kit come with all the required tools (tap, insert installer, drill bit, etc), or am I going to need to shop around for additional stuff to do this job?

Thanks!!!

Skip the heli-coil and go with a keen-sert.....

Uses standard shop tools and is overall 1000 times better than a heli-coil.....

Who sells the "Keen-Sert"?

Is the Keen-Sert available at most parts houses? or do I need to special order?

You should be able to find keen-serts at just about any bolt supplier....

They will also be able to tell you what size drill and tap to use, as well.....

I don't know the bolt dimensions to look up the parts you need. If it's not available in a kit you'll have to buy the tap, insert tool, and heli-coil threads. Heli-coil for the application you're talking about should do just fine assuming the hole isn't too big for the repair.

Keen-serts are a thicker wall and typically what you want for high torque/load situations. SC Top shouldn't require a keen-sert, but you can still use it if you want.

Both are pretty simple to do yourself assuming the hole isn't really messed up.

I heli-coiled all 4 of the top holes,i believe that the bolt is 8x1.25.They worked great and were easy to install as well.Drill the hole,insert heli-coil with green loc-tite.Wait 20 min and you are done.

I dont think you want to use more then one heil-coil on the SC top. Heli-coil are made to be used in steel not alum. The other thing is make sure the boolts your useing are not to long and bottoming out since this will rip the threds out.

Keen-Sert Question

the-big-e said:
Skip the heli-coil and go with a keen-sert.....is 1000 times better than a heli-coil.
The Keen-Sert certainly looks like a better product. Have you ever used them on the blower hat threads? The Keen-Serts look like they require a much bigger hole be drilled, than the heli-coils. There isn't a lot of meat around those threads. Just curious if you've used them on the the blower hat threads.

68COUGAR

Jason the heli-coils are much better than the stock threads on the blower top as they are far more durable threads than aluminum.

Jason Wild said:
Heli-coil are made to be used in steel not alum.

Heli-coils are regularly used in the Aerospace industry for the specific purpose of retaining steel fasteners in softer materials, particularlly when repeated assembly dis-assembly is required.

92strokedbird said:
Jason the heli-coils are much better than the stock threads on the blower top as they are far more durable threads than aluminum.

Ditto...they are commonly used in aluminum heads to repair stripped out header bolts and rocker stud holes. They will also work fine to repair stripped bolts on the SC top.

David

Well I'm going by the text book at school that say heli-coils should not be used in alum if the old threads are allmost all gone. It does make a note that you should use an under size drill if you must use them in alum. this is done so that the heli-coil has more to grap to you looking for about 50+ thread %

Stainless Steel & Anti-Seize compound

David Neibert said:
Ditto...they are commonly used in aluminum heads to repair stripped out header bolts and rocker stud holes.
David
Dave, LMAO...........I guess if anybody here would know about repairing rocker stud threads, it would be YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

The Edel. alum. FE heads come WITH heli-coiled rocker stand, & exhaust man. threads.

The coils I used were not the brand name Heli-Coil. Dunno about the brand name Heli-Coils, but the ones I used (avail. A/Z), were stainless steel. So remember to use anti-seize compound on the bolts, if your coils are SS!!!!!!

68COUGAR

LJGriggs said:
I did the search and got lots of good "general" info, but what I'd like to know is this: what is the "part number" of the correct Heli-coil thread repair kit for fixing the threads on the supercharger top? And, does the kit come with all the required tools (tap, insert installer, drill bit, etc), or am I going to need to shop around for additional stuff to do this job?

Thanks!!!

go to this website for heli-cooil information.
http://www.emhart.com/

68COUGAR said:
The Keen-Sert certainly looks like a better product. Have you ever used them on the blower hat threads? The Keen-Serts look like they require a much bigger hole be drilled, than the heli-coils. There isn't a lot of meat around those threads. Just curious if you've used them on the the blower hat threads.

68COUGAR
I haven't used them in the blower, but I have used them on alot of other projects......

I looked at a blower I have here and it should work....

I don't know what size drill and tap it would take to do this job, but take careful measurements before you start.....

If you are unsure, or it is going to be too close for comfort, then go with the heli-coil.....

Just tap it to the next standard size that's a little bigger than the stock sized threads. Forget the heli coils for the top.:rolleyes:

Next size up

The CMac 89 is right. I had the same problem and Fast Freddie recommended the next size up bolt, dont worry about tapping it just screw it in it will chase its own tap threads. Push down as you wrench it in. Worked like a charm.:D

Got-R-Done...

I stopped by the parts house on the way home from work last night and picked up an insert kit (similar to the Heli-Coil, but not the same brand name) and a drill bit. It was a lot easier to do than I expected, and works like a charm.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions!!!

Back