255lph or HP 255lph fuel pump for minor mods?

brandonhgt

Just as title says, search turned up tons of good information but I really want to know which pump would be better with these mods (73maf, 70TB, UD pulleys, 5% Jackshaft pulley, early style blower pulley, raised top, ported inlet plenum, double IC, IC fan, exhaust done w/o cats, chip after dyno tune).

Would I get any worse mileage with the HP pump over the non-HP from Auto Performance Engineering?

Lastly, are the kits from APE and MN12performance essentially the same? I think I read that MN12 included a fuel filter, any other subtle differences? I found a shop that will install the new pump for me next spring so I want to make sure I supply them with all the parts they need.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Last edited:
with the mods listed in your sig you should be able to do the swap in a few hours yourself.

huh?

tbirdaj said:
with the mods listed in your sig you should be able to do the swap in a few hours yourself.
What do his engine mods have to do with him doing a fuel pump swap in a couple of hours? Mods or no mods, a gas tank, is just a gas tank.

68COUGAR

255 lph vs 255 lph HP

If it was ME, I'd buy the best fuel pump, and only do the job once! Especially if the price diff. was less than $40. Any unused fuel is returned to the tank, so I don't see that being a mpg factor. However I can see that the HP model will give you more potential down the road, if you do more upgrades.

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
What do his engine mods have to do with him doing a fuel pump swap in a couple of hours? Mods or no mods, a gas tank, is just a gas tank.

68COUGAR
What I was saying is if you have the knowledge to know a gas tank from a muffler and are able to turn a wrench it is only a few hour job. I'm not an expert and was able to do it my self in about two hours. It helps if you have big jackstands and another person but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

tbirdaj said:
What I was saying is if you have the knowledge to know a gas tank from a muffler and are able to turn a wrench it is only a few hour job. I'm not an expert and was able to do it my self in about two hours. It helps if you have big jackstands and another person but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

I probably could do it myself but I dont really want the hassle. I found a well-run shop here in town that has treated me well with some stuff on my Focus. He said it would take a couple of hours and I was gonna have him do some other small things at the same time. I figure I would rather have it done by a pro once and be done with it, and Ill stick to my school and easier bolt-on installations so I dont mess something up!

Seeing as how you live in Michigan and your exhaust may be a terrible pain to remove, I would say that having a shop do it is a good decision. I did mine a few years back, and it was no fun. If the shop wanted over $360, I would probably do it myself.

That is what I was thinking, if less than $300 (half day or so) than Im gonna go for it, save myself the stress.

I am doing the same here for my pumpkin swap. It is just to cold out. If I can pay somebody else to freeze it may be worth it depending on price.

brandonhgt said:
Just as title says, search turned up tons of good information but I really want to know which pump would be better with these mods (73maf, 70TB, UD pulleys, 5% Jackshaft pulley, early style blower pulley, raised top, ported inlet plenum, double IC, IC fan, exhaust done w/o cats, chip after dyno tune).

Would I get any worse mileage with the HP pump over the non-HP from Auto Performance Engineering?

Lastly, are the kits from APE and MN12performance essentially the same? I think I read that MN12 included a fuel filter, any other subtle differences? I found a shop that will install the new pump for me next spring so I want to make sure I supply them with all the parts they need.

Thanks for your suggestions,

For the mods you have listed you don't need either of those pumps, but if your replacing the pump you might as well go with the 255 High Pressure and be done with it. I would also reccomend the kit that MN12 Performance sells, because it has everything your going to need.

Unless your existing pump isn't supplying enough fuel now to maintian pressure pound for pound with boost, you won't get any additional power from the larger pump. The regulator just returns the additional fuel to the tank. No change in gas mileage either...it just gives you more fuel to work with and with properly sized injectors, will supply enough fuel for about 450 rwhp at stock voltage.

David

David Neibert said:
For the mods you have listed you don't need either of those pumps, but if your replacing the pump you might as well go with the 255 High Pressure and be done with it. I would also reccomend the kit that MN12 Performance sells, because it has everything your going to need.

Unless your existing pump isn't supplying enough fuel now to maintian pressure pound for pound with boost, you won't get any additional power from the larger pump. The regulator just returns the additional fuel to the tank. No change in gas mileage either...it just gives you more fuel to work with and with properly sized injectors, will supply enough fuel for about 450 rwhp at stock voltage.

David

Good info. I just heard you should replace stocker at 100,000 miles or so (way past that) and i just want get the right pump that will work now AND wont have to be replaced when I finally upgrade the blower and dig into the motor.

Mine died gradually at about 150,000 miles. Thankfully, it died in my driveway. (Yes!!!) My SC's is still working, thankfully.

Back