Does anyone know who made the catwithboost (Brian Solomon) CAM???

sizemoremk

I am finally ready to put this engine together, and I am getting more and more concerned with this cam I have, it was sold as the 212-220 531/539 114 LSA cam...

I am curious if I can get any information from the grinder on this cam, if anything else, just to be sure this is not just a boxed up stock cam:confused: :confused: :confused:

All that came with it is a "Cam Doctor's Analysis" sheet....

I don't know if the duration of this cam is spec'd @ .050" or what???

I want to make sure I can degree it in properly...

The cam is from a company called "Cams Unlimited Inc." I measured the intake lobe on my cam (same one as yours) and it's a .307" lobe (multiply that by 1.73 and you get .531 roughly.) I didn't measure the exhaust lobe, but I'm sure its around a .311" lobe. Yes it is at .050".

I didn't degree the cam though because I really don't think it'll make much difference. If it's a little advanced it will take little power from top end and put it down low and if it's retarded it will do vice versa.

Brian turned his cam deal over to Victor Malvar, so if you have any specific questions then ask him.

The way to tell if it is a new cam is to look for any OE Ford stampings on the tail end. You can also look for the little spacer ring or a key in the snout. A new cam will have neither of these things.

However.

If you have a sheet with cam doctor analysis, what else could you want? That is a direct measurement of the cam which is more accurate than a simple spec card.

I know the company Brian got his cams from and in fact I am a current dealer for those cams. However, other than what I just told you there is no other way to tell if it is a new cam or not because that company (not Cams Unlimited Inc.) does both new cams and regrinds.

Currently I am getting all my cams from Comp because I am happier with the support I get from them and they offer a much better range of profiles to choose from.

But that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your cam.

XR7 Dave said:
I know the company Brian got his cams from and in fact I am a current dealer for those cams. However, other than what I just told you there is no other way to tell if it is a new cam or not because that company (not Cams Unlimited Inc.) does both new cams and regrinds.
Dave, I was just going off of what I was personally told by Brian.

Dave, would you mind seeing if there is a cam card available for those cams then?

I am not sure if I'm looking at advertised duration, or at .050" or what???

My machinist also asked for the cam card...

Also, this is a regrind, and thats not what I'm worried about.

I'd just like to know the specifics and where it came from.

Last edited:
The cam doctor analysis is a real profile of that cam as ground. It is a measurement of that cam. A cam card will reflect the specs that the cam is supposed to be. In other words, there are no better specs than what the cam doctor provides. I don't have one of those sheets in front of me right now, but as I recall it gives you both gross and .050" duration as well as lobe lift and all timing points.

CMac, Brian Solomon is Cams Unlimited Inc. That is not the name of the cam company who actually grinds the cams. This particular cam company does not provide a cam card.

XR7 Dave said:
CMac, Brian Solomon is Cams Unlimited Inc. That is not the name of the cam company who actually grinds the cams. This particular cam company does not provide a cam card.
Fair enough.....That would explain why I didn't get a cam card.:)

Maybe I got the short version...

It doesn't say @.50" so i'll have to assume it is.

I am told by a shop that uses the cam doctor, that it can be setup to read either...

Intake & Exhasut

Lobe Center Sep = 114.2

Valve overlap = -11.7

Intake

Valve opening = -5.9

Lobe center = 112.4

Valve closure = 40.6

Duration = 214.7

Max Cam lift = .30594

Net Valvelift = .52928

Lobe Area = 23.22

Exhaust

Valve opening = 44.9

Lobe center = 115.9

Valve closure = -5.9

Duration = 2.19.1

Max Cam lift = .31079

Net Valvelift = .53766

Lobe Area = 24.22

Due to the fact that the car would hardly run with 214/219 deg gross duration coupled with the fact that you couldn't lift a valve to .537" in that short of a duration and the machine shop should know those can be no other than .050" specs.

XR7 Dave said:
Due to the fact that the car would hardly run with 214/219 deg gross duration coupled with the fact that you couldn't lift a valve to .537" in that short of a duration and the machine shop should know those can be no other than .050" specs.

Well they may, but I don't:eek:

I have always looked at the .050" specs, as that was what the articles I've read discussed, so I don't really know how to compare the advertised, or how different it may be form the .050 spec. But it seems that everyone is sure that these are .050" specs, so I guess I'm good to go.

Last edited:
Back